The Repository of all Things Historical for the Ancient Welsh Town of Carnarvon

  Castle Square, Carnarvon. Published by Williams & Hughes, Bridge Steet, 1850



What's New


List of Trades






Parish Chest


Caernarfon Ddoe/
Caernarfon's Yesterdays

Contact & Links



From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: January 20th. 1888.

Mr. R. H., Williams, second son of the late Mr. Humphrey Williams, watchmaker, Castle-square, Carnarvon, and brother to Mr. John Williams, organist of Christ Church of that town, has been appointed to a responsible office in connection with the construction of the Manchester Ship Canal. Mr. Williams, who for many years was in the office of Mr. Richard Roger Williams, contractor, took prominent part in all that pertained to the welfare of his native place, and, as a vocalist and instrumentalist of great ability, rendered great assistance in keeping forward good movements of all sorts. He succeeded his father as a leader in the Ebenezer (Welsh Wesleyan) choir, and acted as the hon. secretary of the Carnarvon Choral Society from its formation. His departure will be a heavy loss to Carnarvon, and we are glad to understand that a movement is on foot to present him with a suitable testimonial. Mr. Williams has the good wishes of all his fellow-townsmen in his new sphere of usefulness.

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: January 27th. 1888.


The fishing boat "Trio" arrived in Carnarvon on Sunday night, and had on board a fine sturgeon, weighing about fifty pounds, and measuring from five to six feet in length.

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: February 3rd. 1888.


Miss Amy Harris, sister of Mr. T. D. Harris, bookstall keeper at the railway station, Carnarvon, was presented on Sunday last by the English Wesleyan Church Sunday School with a handsome Bible as a small token of the services rendered by her. Miss Harris left Carnarvon on Wednesday evenng for Melbourne, Australia, where she will take up her residence with her sister.

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: February 10th. 1888.


A change of importance is about to take place in the proprietorship of this old establishment. Mr. M. T. Morris (late of the Liver) joining Mr. J. Davies, who at present is partner with Mr. Lewis Lewis, the last-named gentleman retiring to enjoy well-earned leisure. Mr. Lewis carries with him into his retirement the good wishes, not only of his fellow-townsmen but also of that wide circle of connexions which so large and old a concern has secured all over North Wales. The agreement for transfer was concluded yesterday, February 9th., and a coincidence worthy of note is that precisely thirty years previously, namely, on February 9th., 1858 Mr. Morris entered the Nelson Emporium as an apprentice to Mr. Lewis. Subsequently, as buyer and manager, Mr. Morris had full experience of the business in every department; and he was afterwards for some years with Messrs. J. and H. Philips, Manchester, one of the best wholesale houses in the kingdom. Eighteen years ago, he opened the Liver Establishment; and the enterprise, vigour, and success which he there showed indicate the probable future of this new undertaking, he having travelled the whole of North Wales and possessing knowledge of the ground such as few gentlemen have been able to gain. Mr. Lewis took the business in 1851 from Mr. Richard Owen, and has conducted it upon a solid commercial basis, gaining for his establishment a widespread reputation for high quality of goods and careful attention to customers' requirements, a reputation likely to be fully maintained by the new firm. Mr. Davies has been with Mr. Lewis for thirteen years, the last two years as partner; and is therefore well known to, as he is respectd by, all who do business with the firm. It is the intention of Messrs. Morris and Davies to continue the undertaking in all the different departments: general and fancy drapery, millinery, mantle-making, dressmaking, furnishing, woollen, and general outfitting.

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: February 10th. 1888.

Mr. Lloyd Hughes, of Coed Helen, Carnarvon, has generously contributed 10 for the purchase of coal to be distributed amongst the deserving poor of Carnarvon. Mr. Richard Thomas and Mr. Lloyd Carter have been entrusted with the work of distribution.

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: February 10th. 1888.


During last year Sergeant Hugh Griffith (son of the late Mr. Evan Griffith, Slate Works, Morfa, Carnarvon), belonging to Troop D, 8th. Cavalry, in Texas, U.S., was the winner of three gold medals and one gold watch, as the result of his repeated successes in shooting matches.

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: February 17th. 1888.


We are given to understand that an important change is about to take place in connection with another of the largest business establishments of Carnarvon, Owing to failing health, which necessitates a complete change of scene and climate for some time, Mr. Hugh Williams, of the Furnishing and Upholstering Warehouses, Eastgate-street, is retiring from business. Mr. Williams has been one of the most successful business men in town for upwards of 21 years, and has succeeded in establishing as extensive furnishing connection. His first place of business was in Pool-street, whence he removed to the premises in Eastgate-street, which were built by him on purpose for the furnishing trade, and which have been stocked with one of the largest collections of household requisites in North Wales. Subsequently Mr. Williams took over the old-established concern of Mr. David Morgan. It is not yet known whether the business will be disposed of to a successor, but Mr. Williams's present intentions are to arrange a series of clearance sales, whereby the large stock will be sold off to the public at specially low prices.

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: February 17th. 1888.


These dinners - which are such a boon to the poor children attending the Carnarvon National and Board Schools - were commenced on Monday last under the superintendence of the Misses De Winton assisted by other ladies. Two hundred poor children are fed four days of every week. There is a balance in hand since last year, and the following amounts have been received this winter:- Mr. Williams, Park, 10s.; Mrs. Fraser, North-road, 5s.; Mr. Pritchard, Pool-street Market, 5s.; Mrs. Griffith, Cefnhendre, 2s. 6d. Any contributions in money towards these dinners will be very thankfully received at the Old Bank, or by the Misses De Winton. Vegetables, of which potatoes are the most useful, meat and jam, may be sent to the Misses De Winton, Tanygraig.

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: February 24th. 1888.


Our readers will be interested in learning that the electric light will shortly be utilised for business purposes in Carnarvon, Messrs. Morris and Davies, of the Nelson Emporium, having determined to install both arc and incandescent lamps for the illumination of their premises during the forthcoming sale, advertised elsewhere. To many of the residents in this district, especially in the more rural neighbourhoods, the light will be very attractive. The large arc lamp, of 2000 candle power, will light up the greater portion of Bridge-street, and smaller lamps, with a united power of 1000 candles, will be used for the interior.

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: February 24th. 1888.


A hay stack belonging to Miss Hughes, a dairy proprietress, Pool Hill, Carnarvon, was found on Monday night, about ten o'clock, to be on fire. The fire brigade, assisted by the police, were soon on the spot, and prevented the entire destruction of the stack, which consisted of about twenty tons of hay. It is not known how the fire originated, but incendiarism is suspected.

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: March 2nd. 1888.


The establishment of Messrs. Morris and Davies, the Nelson Emporium, was lit up brilliantly on Thursday night with the electric light. Hundreds of people were attracted by the display, and it was a matter of great difficulty to pass through the crowd which had collected to witness the illumination.

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: March 9th. 1888.

It will be seen from an advertisement in another column that Mr. Hugh Williams, cabinet maker, Eastgate-street, Carnarvon, who is retiring from business through failing health, has made arrangements on an extensive scale for disposing of his stock by means of a sale. For parties furnishing. &c., a splendid opportunity is afforded to secure goods at a cheap rate.

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: March 23rd. 1888.


We understand that Messrs. Pierce and Williams, of the Golden Goat establishment, will, in a day or two, have the interesting and remarkable invention known as "Lamson's Cash Railway" in full work. Among the specialities at this and next week's sale at the Golden Goat will be the carpet show and latest novelties in house decoration, full particulars of which appear in another column.

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: March 23rd. 1888.


The premises now occupied by the Carnarvon Reform Club, at the furthest end of Segontium-terrace, have been purchased by the Mayor (Mr. John Jones) for conversion into the Cottage Hospital he is founding in commemoration of his Mayoralty. Occupation will be had in May next.

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: April 27th. 1888.


The Mayor of Carnarvon (Mr. John Jones), at the request of some of the leading townsmen, has called a meeting to be held this (Friday) evening, at the Guild Hall, for the purpose of taking into consideration the desirability of opening a subscription list for presenting Alderman Lewis Lewis upon his retirement from business, owing to ill-health, with a testimonial in recognition of his valuable services and genorosity to the town of Carnarvon during the more than forty years he has been closely identified with the public life of the borough.

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: May 4th. 1888.



Upon the arrival of the 8.35 a.m. train from Afonwen at Carnarvon, on Saturday morning, a square wooden box, wrapped in brown paper, was discovered in a third-class compartment. As there was no one in the compartment the box was taken to the parcel office. In the evening the box was opened, and was found to contain the remains of a female infant.


On Monday afternoon, before Mr. J. H. Roberts, coroner, and a jury, of whom Mr. Cadwaladr Willians was foreman, an inquest was held on the body at the Shire Hall, Carnarvon.

The first witness called was Robert Hughes, a ticket collector in the employ of the London and North-Western Railway Company, who said that on the arrival of the 8.35 a.m. train at Carnarvon from Afonwen on Saturday morning, he found the square box (produced) in a third-class carriage, partly under the seat. There was no one in the carriage. Upon it was the London and North-Western Company's parcel label "Liverpool Lime-street." There was nothing to show where it came from. The train had not been on the Cambrian line, and the probability is that the box came from Bangor by the early train. The carriage in which the box was found was put on at Bangor.

Dr. W. R. Griffith Owen, Carnarvon, said he had made a post-mortem examination on the body which appeared a fully matured female child. The lungs showed that little air had been inspired. It might have been born and taken two or three gasps at most. There were no marks of violence or injury about it. The cause of death might be tedious labour, the child dying from weakness. - In reply to Mr. W. J. Williams, witness said that blackness of the eyes was due to putrification. He did not believe the body had been washed.

Deputy Chief-constable Davies said that on Saturday evening about six o'clock he was called to the railway station, and the box produced was given into his charge. The box had been opened. After taking the lid off he found a piece of the Liverpool Mercury, Saturday, April 14th. There was no writing on it. There was also a torn bed-sheet upon which were here and there spots of blood. Then he found the body dressed in a baby's frock. The lid of the box had a label on, bearing the words along with others, "Jubilee Packetts." Witness had caused inquiries to be made.

John Parry Hughes, parcel clerk at Carnarvon station, deposed that he saw the box produced on Saturday morning about half-past ten. There was no address on it, but a passenger label. He placed the box amongst the lost property. Witness opened the box and found a body inside, and ultimately reported the matter to the station-master.

Dr. Owen here said he had since weighed the body, which was a little over eight pounds.

Dr. Parry also gave evidence corroborative of that of Dr. Owen, and gave as his opinion that the child had died at or during birth.

A verdict in accordance with the medical evidence was then returned.

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: May 11th. 1888.

Messrs. Morris and Davies, Nelson Emporium, Carnarvon, have purchased the ornamental arch erected in honour of Lord Salisbury's visit; and they announce their intention of keeping it in repair for as long as the corporation allow it to remain.

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: May 1th. 1888.

Messrs. Hugh Jones and Co., of the Seiont Slate and Marble Works, Carnarvon, have been entrusted with the preparation of a pedestal for Sir Hugh Owen's monument at the town, and the wide fame of this firm is a sufficient guarantee that the work will be executed in the best of styles. In fact, some of the finest monuments in the grave-yards and burial grounds of this district are of Messrs. Jones's workmanship, and reflect the highest credit on Welsh skill and taste. Such are the columns raised above the remains of the Welsh worthies - Revs. J. Hugh Evans (Cynfaen), at Llanrwst; Griffith Jones, Tregarth, in Llanllechid; Rees Jones, Felinheli, in Llanfairisgaer; and D. Morris, Bwlan, in Caeathraw.

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: May 18th. 1888.


The statue of Sir Hugh Owen is expected soon, and intending subscribers are requested to send in their contributions as soon as possible.

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: May 25th. 1888.

Last week, Mr. Hugh Abbott, fishmonger, High-street, Carnarvon, caught two fine salmons (the first of the season) in the Menai Straits, weighing 18lbs. and 11lbs. respectively.

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: May 25th. 1888.



JOHN GRIFFITH, the Proprietor, begs to inform the Public that the above-named INN is replete with every convenience, on the most reasonable terms. Refreshments supplied on the shortest notice, and well-aired Beds. Farmers and Drovers, attending Markets and Fairs, will be accommodated with Land on which the Cattle, Horses, &c., can graze. J. GRIFFITH has also on the premises a large Scales in which Pigs, Wool, &c., may be accurately weighed. The above INN is situated in the centre of the town, within a few minutes' walk of the Railway Station, Castle Square, the Market Hall, and the Anglesey Steamer. - Mr. Hugh Evans, Penygroes, the skilful Bone Setter, attends at this INN every Saturday to meet his patients.

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: June 1st. 1888.


A meeting of the Liberals of the Borough of Carnarvon will be held at the Guild Hall to-night (Friday) with the object of furthering the scheme proposed for securing new premises for the purpose of a Liberal Club. The chair will be taken by Mr. Thomas Williams, Golden Goat, and addresses are expected from Captain Verney, R. N., Mr. A. C. Humphreys Owen, Mr. D. Lloyd George, Criccieth; the Rev. Owen Davies, and others.

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: June 1st. 1888.


Mr. J. H. Roberts, the Carnarvonshire coroner, on Thursday, held an inquest, at the Bangor Infirmary, on the body of Thomas W. Anker, 44, Proffett-street, Ryecroft, Walsall. The evidence showed that he was strange in appearance and conduct. A verdict of "Suicide while temporarily insane" was returned.

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: June 6th. 1888.


It appears that Buffalo Bill, of the Wild West show celebrity, is personally known to Sergeant Hugh Griffith, the son of the late Evan Griffith, Glanseiont Slate Works, Carnarvon. Sergeant Griffith, who has just started on a four months' march, from Texas to Dakota, a distance of 2500 miles, speaks in a letter to a relative, in high praise of Buffalo Bill's adventures as a Government Scout.

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: June 15th. 1888.


the popular vocalist, of Carnarvon, returned home on Saturday last after a very successful concert-tour through the chief centres of the United States. Miss Hope, who looks all the better for her sojourn in the far west, landed at Liverpool, by the "Adriatic," on the previous Friday evening. As reported before in these columns, her reception everywhere in the States, particularly by Welsh people, was most cordial and enthusiastic.

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: June 29th. 1888.

The thunderstorm in Carnarvon, on Monday evening, although lasting less than half-an-hour, was remarkable for the extraordinary deluge of rain. For about ten minutes the downfall was tremendous; deep gullies were washed out in the steeper streets, and as paper and other refuse which was washed to the grids quickly stopped access to the drains, the streets were flooded in several places. The railway, also, was flooded near Turf-square Bridge; and in a number of houses the cellars were similarly covered. The station road near entrance to the platform was like a pool, the water running off on to the line in the side bay.

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: August 3rd. 1888.


The annual athletic sports in connection with the Carnarvon Athletic Club will be held next Monday (Bank Holiday), at the Coed Helen Ferry Field. There will be improved ferry communication this year. The entries are numerous. The prizes are to be seen at the Golden Eagle, Bridge-street. The band of the R.W.F. will play during the day. Messrs. T. H. Rawson and E. S. Morris are the hon. secretaries.

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: August 10th. 1888.


The contract for converting Bryn Seiont, Carnarvon, into a cottage hospital has been let to Mr. Edward Parry, builder, Segontium-terrace, Carnarvon, who will, no doubt, as is his wont, carry out the work in a most satisfactory manner.

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: August 17th. 1888.


A good number of people assembled in the Pavilion last Thursday evening to witness an entertainment styled "Olympia." The programme included equestrian and acrobatic feats, and a pugilistic "set to" between Pooley Mace (nephew of the celebrated Jem Mace), and Smiler of Liverpool.

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: August 17th. 1888.


A first meeting of the creditors of John Griffith, Harp Inn, Carnarvon, who has filed a petition for liquidation by arrangement, has been held at the Queen's Head Cafe, Bangor. Mr. Lewis, Chester, represented the Official Receiver, and Messrs. Turner and Allanson appeared for the debtor, whose statement of affairs showed liabilities in excess of 700; there being not sufficient assets to meet the preferential claims, no offer was made, and the debtor will be declared bankrupt.

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: August 17th. 1888.


Mr. J. Hayward (son of the late Capt. William Hayward) has returned home after a stay of five or six years in America. He intends to remain in Carnarvon, where he will commence to practice as solicitor.

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: August 24th. 1888.


While Mr. Hugh Hughes, mason, Gelert-street, was renovating certain buildings in Dinorwic-street, he came across an earthen vessel, upon the handle of which were certain Roman letters. He took the relic to Mr. David Thomas (relieving officer), a well-informed local antiquary, and at his suggestion the vessel has been placed in the Castle Museum.

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: August 31st. 1888.


Last Saturday morning, a number of young boys were bathing at "Ty'nycei;" and three of them endeavoured to swim over the "Aber." One, however, a very young lad - the son of Mr. G. Griffith (late of Glanrafon Inn), was noticed by Mr. R. P. Williams, dispenser with Dr. Griffith, Castle-square, to suddenly become motionless, meantime shouting out that he could swim no longer. He soon afterwards sank, evidently exhausted. Thereupon, Mr. Williams immediately ran to a boat that was close to, and managed to get to the boy in time to save him. Had it not been for Mr. Williams's prompt action, no doubt the child would have been drowned. This is the second life that Mr. Williams has been the means of saving under similar circumstances in the neighbourhood of Carnarvon.

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: September 14th. 1888.

Sir Llewelyn Turner, who has been seriously indisposed, has left Parkia for the Hydropathic Establishment at Llandudno. Our readers will be glad to know that Sir Llewelyn is gradually recovering.

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: September 14th. 1888.


On Tuesday evening last, Mr. and Mrs. R. T. Evans, confectioners, Bee Hive Temperance, Bangor-street, Carnarvon, invited a large number of friends to a supper to celebrate their wedding. After partaking of a substantial repast, a very interesting meeting was held, under the presidency of Mr. Evan Jones, Avron-terrace. Poetical and other addresses were delivered by the chairman, Mr. J. Thomas (Eifionydd), Mr. D. Edwards, Genedl Office, and others. At the close, a hearty vote of thanks was unanimously passed to the host and hostess, and wishing them a long life, happiness, and prosperity.

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: September 14th. 1888.


Messrs. Hugh Jones and Co., Seiont Marble Works, Carnarvon, have completed the pedestal for the statue of Sir Hugh Owen, and now await further instructions as to its site.

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: September 14th. 1888.


William Williams, employed at Messrs. J. Owen and Sons's timber yard, Carnarvon, was seriously injured on Wednesday by the falling of a very heavy beam upon his foot, the toe of which is completely crushed.

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: October 5th. 1888.


The committee tender their sincere thanks to the undermentioned tradesmen and others for kind donations to the hospital; and to state that any useful article such as beds, bedding, furniture, bedroom screens, kitchen utensils, crockery, &c., will be most thankfully received by the Mayor, at 9, Palace-street.

The institution will be ready for the reception of patients before the end of the month. The house formerly occupied by the Reform Club is that now fitted up for the hospital.

The following donations have already been promised:- Mr. Edward Hughes, ironmonger, bedstead, with patent woven mattress, and cacoa mattress, complete; Mr. David Jones, chemist, waterproof bedsheet, bed pan, hot water half bed, invalid feeding cups, bath thermometer, bath sponge, spitting cups, and combs; Mr. T. O. Jones, ironmonger, bedstead with patent woven mattress, and cacoa mattress, complete; Mr. Robert Williams, Brunswick Buildings, patent adjustable invalid bedstead and bedding, complete; Mrs. Robert Williams, mackintosh waterproof bed sheet; pupils at Misses Rimmer's school, eight-day clock; Mrs. Thomas Davies, saddler, Palace-street, bedroom screen; Mr. R. J. Davids, C.E., bedroom screen.

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: October 12th. 1888.


On Wednesday evening, at the Magistrates' Room, Carnarvon, the Mayor (Mr. John Jones) convened a meeting for the purpose of arranging programme, &c., of a concert to be held on the evening of the day of unveiling the statue, viz., the 22nd. inst. The Mayor was supported by Dr. Parry, Dr. Griffith, Messrs. J. R. Pritchard, John Davies (Gwyneddon), D. Jones (chemist), J. Williams, R. H. Price, and others. Committees were appointed to carry out the arrangements for the concert, and the secretary (Mr. William Jones) reported that Mr. J. T. Jones and Miss Edwards, Board School, had promised to let the children at the school sell tickets. The erection was under the superintendence of the borough surveyor (Mr. R. Ll. Jones), and Councillors Thomas Bugbird and R. Roger Williams. The statue was placed upon the pedestal yesterday (Thursday) afternoon.

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: October 12th. 1888.



An accident, which might have had most disastrous results, occurred last (Thursday) night at the Carnarvon Guild Hall. A charity concert was being held by the Naval Volunteers, when a marine lamp, placed on the side of one of the galleries, close to the platform, was seen to smoke, and a member of the corps proceeded to take it down. The lamp, however, had become heated, and when lifted off the body detached itself and fell on to the floor, near the pianoforte, and smashed, leaving the top and the handle in the member's hands. The oil ignited with the fall, and a large flame at once rose, threatening the front row of the audience, and a part of the gallery next to the platform, on the side where the mishap occurred. With commendable prescence of mind the volunteers snatched up a sail, threw it upon the burning wood, and fearlessly trampled the fire out. They thus succeeded in averting a most disastrous catastrophe. In the meantime the greatest alarm prevailed, women swooned, boys and men shrieked and shouted, and there was a general rush among those occupying the back seats for the doors. A few persons were more or less shaken in the rush down stairs, but the police and others who were more self-possessed, soon succeeded in assuring the people and restoring order. Some of the audience lost their heads entirely, and scrambled over the gallery on to the floor, while others made for the window. One startled lad leapt over the uppermost bannister down to the hall below. When the fire was extinguished the "jolly tars" gave ringing cheers, and this restored the more alarmed. To the credit of those occupying the front seats it should be said that their conduct was admirable. They kept their seats, otherwise the result might have been frightful to contemplate. The entertainment was afterwards proceeded with.

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: November 2nd. 1888.


Between eleven and twelve o'clock on Tuesday morning, Mr. William Henry Ethall (eldest son of the late Mr. John Ethall), rope maker, Tithebarn-street, Carnarvon, met with a serious accident. It appears that at the time he was engaged in his garden at Leiod, on the Llanberis-road, and was accompanied by one of his sons and a workman named Hugh Roberts. He was desirious of blasting a rock in the garden, and for that purpose some powder was used. Finding that the fuse had not taken fire he went to the spot to ascertain the cause, and while in the act of stooping, the charge exploded right into his face, inflicting fearful injuries. Dr. John Williams was promptly in attendance upon Ethall, who was shortly afterwards removed to his home, where he lay in an unconscious state up to a late hour on Tuesday night. He is still in a very critical condition, but hopes are entertained of his recovering his sight.

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: November 9th. 1888.


A meeting of the town council was held on Tuesday evening, when it was unanimously decided to re-elect Mr. John Jones, of Minafon, to the Mayoralty for the coming year. Mr. Jones has been mayor for two consecutive years, and his re-election for the third time is a well-deserved compliment to one of the most popular mayors the borough ever had.

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: November 30th. 1888.


Messrs. Owen Lewis, Post-office, Ebenezer, and Mr. W. R. Morris, watchmaker, the Old Hibernia, Bridge-street, Carnarvon, have just patented "A medical, safe, clean, and prefect pipe."

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: December 7th. 1888.


Sometime during Wednesday night or Thursday morning, the house of Captain Jones, 3, Tithebarn-street, Carnarvon, was broken into. The parlour window was smashed in and several articles in the room had been removed, but the thief did not find anything to taste or was disturbed in his work, for nothing is missing. The front door was found open in the morning. It is to be hoped that the police will keep a sharp look-out for these nocturnal visitors.

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: December 14th. 1888.


Owing to the prevalence of scarlet fever in the town, it has been decided to postpone the Sale of Work and Christmas Tree, in conncetion with the National Schools, Carnarvon, until a date between February 14th. and March 10th. next.

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: December 14th. 1888.

Mr. David Jones, chemist, will deliver a lecture on Wednesday evening next, 19th. instant, in the Wesleyan Schoolroom, Castle-street, entitled "The Life of a Plant," illustrated by diagrams and specimens, to commence at eight o'clock. A collection will be made in aid of the school.

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: December 14th. 1888.


"Paterfamilias" writes to us, complaining, not unjustly, of the very inferior quality of gas which the inhabitants of Carnarvon have to put up with just now. "Why should we," he asks, "bear with this miserable state of things any longer? To pay the highest price and obtain only the worst possible article in return is such an anomalous state of affairs that the town council should lose no time in applying the best possible remedy."

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: December 14th. 1888.


We understand that the Mayor of Carnarvon (Councillor John Jones) has just received from Mr. Lloyd Griffith, corn merchant, of that town, a cheque for 25 guineas as a Christmas gift for the Cottage Hospital.

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: December 14th. 1888.


On Tuesday last, the triumphal arch which was erected in Bangor-street, Carnarvon, in honour of the visit of the Marquis of Salisbury to the town in April last, and afterwards purchased by Messrs. Morris and Davies, of the Nelson Emporium, was taken down.

  © 2003 - 2021 Keith Morris. All rights reserved