The Repository of all Things Historical for the Ancient Welsh Town of Carnarvon

  Castle Square, Carnarvon. Published by Williams & Hughes, Bridge Steet, 1850



What's New


List of Trades






Parish Chest


Caernarfon Ddoe/
Caernarfon's Yesterdays

Contact & Links



From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: January 5th. 1894.


We understand that Mr. Hamilton Poole, Bryneglwys, of this town, will to-day (Friday), start from London in the P & O steamer "Britannia" on a tour round the world. He intends visiting China, Japan, Australia, San Francisco, Chicago, New York, and other places on the way, and will probably be away for nine months. He left Carnarvon for London on Tuesday with the best wishes and hopes of a safe return from a large cirlce of friends.

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: January 5th. 1894.


The new year has set in with every indication of a lengthy spell of seasonable weather, Jack Frost making its appearance to the delight of skaters. Should the present dry weather last, in a day or two the pond at the Park will be the scene of animation and mirth. This morning, after one of the coldest nights experienced for years, even the old harbour up to the Seiont Bridge was found to be frozen over, which has not occurred in a single night for many a year. With regards to the pond at the Park, though a good thickness of ice is now available it will not be safe for skaters to venture on the same for a day or two, as a young lad found to his cost yesterday, by having a good ducking.

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: January 5th. 1894.


We are very glad to announce that her Majesty the Queen has honoured Mr. W. H. Preece, of Penybryn, of this town, among many others who have received the new year's honours. The distinction of C. B. has been conferred upon him. As every one knows Mr. Preece is engineer-in-chief to the General Post-office, and is one of the ablest electricians in the country.

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: January 12th. 1894.


On Thursday last a boy of the name of John Jones, Henwalia, had a narrow escape from drowning while skating in the Park. The ice broke under him, and but for timely assistance he would undoubtedly have been drowned.

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: January 12th. 1894.


It is reported that Mr. Morgan Lloyd, Maesincla; Mrs. Foster, Glanbeuno; and Mrs. Clemenger, Coedmawr, have decided to bear the cost of erecting a coloured window each in the Llanbeblig Parish Church. It has also been decided that a new font shall be erected in a promonent place in the church, in order that anyone who wishes may be immersed.

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: January 12th. 1894.


At a meeting of the executive committee of the forthcoming National Eisteddfod the bardic chair design of Mr. T. Thomas, Post-office, was declared the best out of 13 designs by other competitors. We heartily congratulate Mr. Thomas upon his success.

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: January 12th. 1894.


About half-past eleven on Saturday morning, it appears that while the little daughter of Mr. Morris Williams, Shirehall-street, was warming herself before the fire at her aunt's house, her pinafore accidentally caught fire. Running out into the street she was seen by Mr. Griffith Roberts and Mr. Dan Rhys, who managed to extinguish the flames and save the child's life. The little victim is badly burnt about the arms and the head. We learn that she is progressing favourably.

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: January 19th. 1894.


On Thursday afternoon an unfortunate accident occurred at the girl's department of the Board Schools. It appears that a little girl named Hannah Olwen Jones found a needle on the floor, and picked it up with the intention of taking it to her teacher. But instead of carrying out her first intention, she placed it in her pinafore. In a short time afterwards the little girl came in contact with another scholar, in consequence of which the needle penetrated her breast right above the heart. With praiseworthy promptitude Mrs. Hughes called in Dr. Edward Williams and Dr. W. Williams, who succeeded in extracting the needle. Had it not been for the prompt action of Mrs. Hughes serious results might have ensued.

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: February 9th. 1894.


In clearing for the concrete floor of the organ chamber at Llanbeblig, the workmen came upon a lead coffin in a perfect state of preservation with a crest upon it, apparently a spread eagle, and the inscription:- "Mary Quellyn, died May 21, 1789, Aged 75." It was not neccessary to distrub the coffin, which will remain embedded in concrete till the next restoration. It is stated that the Misses De Winton have sent a set of altar linen for use at Christ Church, while Mrs. Catterill, of Manor-place, Edinburgh, has undertaken to make a set for Llanbeblig.

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: February 23rd. 1894.


In accordance with the power invested in them at the last meeting of the council, the town improvements committee have decided to accept the offer of Mr. Owen Jones, Green Bank, to plant trees around Castle-square. Operations have already commenced, the whole cost of which will be defrayed by the donor.

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: February 23rd. 1894.


It is stated that the London and North-Western Railway Company are about to build a new platform at the station in order to cope with extra traffic expected during the forthcoming summer, but, more especially on the occasion of the Royal visit to the National Eisteddfod.

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: March 2nd. 1894.


On Thursday afternoon, a somewhat novel proceeding took place in this town. About twelve months ago the tradesmen decided to close their business establishments at four o'clock every Thursday. This has been faithfully carried out with but a few exceptions. The drapers close their shops at seven in the evening, while the grocers do not close for another hour, therefore the grocers' assistants have to work on an average six or seven hours a week more than the drapers assistants, &c. Having obtained a holiday on Thursday afternoon last, after four o'clock, a movement was initiated among the assistants with a view of bringing about a new agreement to close at one. All the grocers except two promised to do so from St. David's Day. The grocers' assistants met on Castle-square, and formed into a procession. First of all, they called upon a tradesman in Bridge-street with a petition, and asked him to append his name to the same. This he is said to have refused to do, and ordered the deputation out of his shop. A large crowd of youngsters pelted his business establishment with rotten oranges and other missiles, with the consequence that one window was broken, and the tradesman compelled in self-defence to close his shop. After yelling and hooting, the processionists went in search of other defaulters, afterwards making their way to Castle-square, and with a cheer dispersing. This (Friday) morning, our reporter interviewed the tradesman referred to as to what course he intended to adopt towards those who pelted his establishment with oranges. In reply, he said that he did not intend to incur any expense, but that the authorities were pressing him to prosecute the guilty persons, because they had committed a breach of the peace. Subsequently, out reporter saw Mr. H. Jones, chairman of the Shop Assistant Union. Mr. Jones stated that the grocers' assistants' movement was distinct from that of their Union. The grocers' assistants met on Castle-square at 4.30. Before starting, he counselled them not to injure anyone's property. This they promised to do. On being asked how it came that rotten oranges happened to be in possession of the crowd at the time, Mr. Jones said that they were at a loss to explain it, and that an enquiry was being made to the matter. As soon as they ascertained who the guilty persons were, they would be punished. As far as they could make out, the assistants were blameless in the matter.

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: March 30th. 1894.


Early on Sunday morning a daring burglary was committed at the Vicarage, the residence of the Rev. J. W. Wynne Jones, M. A. It appears that about three o'clock the attention of Mrs. Wynne Jones was called to the bedroon lamp, which seemed to smell more than usual. Upon getting up to see what was the matter, she heard footsteps downstairs. She woke her husband, who at once proceeded in search of the burglar or burglars, but only to find that they had gone. Upon making a search, it was found that a card case, several gold seals, and crests, all the tobacco and pipes available, as well as many other articles, were missing. The police are investigating the matter.

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: March 30th. 1894.


On Monday afternoon an accident befell a young lad named Grindley, the son of Mr. James Grindley, North-penrallt. It appears that a vehicle with passengers was proceeding down Pool-street from Waenfawr, when the boy was knocked down, with the result that the hind wheels went over his legs, and his shoulder was also badly hurt. He was at once taken to Dr. W. J. Williams. He is now recovering as well as can be expected.

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: April 6th. 1894.


Many tradesmen complain grieviously of the increasing nuisance caused by unruly boys defacing newly painted woodwork with chalk marks. The police authorities, we understand, have undertaken to supress the evil.

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: April 13th. 1894.


On Wednesday, before the borough bench, David Jones, an elderly miserable-looking man, admitted that he begged a penny. He was let off upon promising to go at once to the workhouse.

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: May 4th. 1894.


Another example of the dangers which lurk in eatables brought to the table in the form of tinned goods has occurred at Carnarvon this week. Mr. O. D. Jones, draper, partook on Sunday of some potted meat which he had obtained at a local grocer's, and in a short time painful irritation was produced in the stomach, followed by vomiting. Mr. Jones became so ill that two medical men were called in. He is only now recovering from his illness, which he traces directly to the meat.

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: May 4th. 1894.


The employees of Messrs. J. Owen and Son, foundry and timber yard, numbering about 50, have sent in a requisition to have their hours of labour reduced without deduction in wages. The hours at present worked are ten and a half, and six and a half of Saturdays, making a total of 59 per week. The nature or the extent of the reduction is not specified, that matter being left to the employers, who have always been ready to treat their men with consideration. They were the first employers in the town to grant the half holiday on Saturdays.

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: May 25th. 1894.


The Drych, a Welsh American newspaper published at Utica, refers in terms of eulogy to the success of the Misses Hope. Both ladies have lately joined the Hebron Church Choir at Chicago, where their service is a great acquisition to the vocal strength of the choir, and is highly appreciated.

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: May 25th. 1894.


The work of making the new "island" platform and waiting rooms together with other improvements at the railway station is being carried out with considerable rapidity, with a view of its completion before the beginning of July, when it is expected that heavy traffic will take place on account of the Royal visit and the holding of the National Eisteddfod. When the work is completed, the improvements will be greatly to the convenience of passengers and the railway officials.

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: May 25th. 1894.


Carnarvon will not be found wanting, from a decorative point of view, in its reception of the Prince and Princess of Wales, as well as of the National Eisteddfod. Both tradesmen and private householders are already busy decorating their premises, while the painters of the town are exhibiting an activity not witnessed for many a year. Even from a sanitory point of view, and the impulse it has given to trade, the Royal visit will do an immense amount of good to the old town.

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: June 1st. 1894.


On Monday, Francis's Great Australian Circus visited this town, and gave two performances at Balaclava, which consisted of riding, acrobatic, gymnastic, and wire walking feats, clowns, performing horses, ponies, mules, donkeys, dogs, &c. Both performances were fairly patronised.

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: June 1st. 1894.


The trees which were generously presented to the town by Councillor Owen Jones, Green Bank, will, in a short time, prove an immense improvement to Castle-square. This, in addition to the refitting of the fountain, which was in full play on the Queen's birthday, will, undoubtedly, prove a source of attraction to visitors during the season.

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: June 8th. 1894.


With reference to the arrangements for decorating the town in honour of the visit of the Prince and Princess of Wales, the decorations committee, to whom the general committee delegated full powers, have decided to accept the contract of Messrs. Reach, Dysons, and Co., Leeds, for the decoration of the whole town, and that of Messrs. Brook and Co., the London pyrotechnists, for illuminations and fireworks. These details, both in extent and gorgeousness, will surpass anything of the kind ever seen in North Wales. The returns of the general secretary of the Eisteddfod show that despite the early date upon which the gathering will take place the total entries are likely to be unprecendently high.

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: June 22nd. 1894.


The improvements which have been carried out at the railway station were so far completed as to enable the new platform to be used on Monday morning. Although the change of platforms by the respective trains may cause a little inconvenience at first, it will doubtless be found in a short time to be far more convenient to the public.

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: July 6th. 1894.


The best position in town to view the Royal procession will be on the stage in the windows of the Castle Hotel, Castle Square. Apply for prices.

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: July 6th. 1894.


On Wednesday, R. Edward Jones, Lledr Cottage, Bettwsycoed, was brought before two borough justices by Sergeant Watkin Owen on the charge of neglecting to comply with an order to contribute towards the maintainance of the child of Elizabeth Ann Jones, 24, Hendre-street, Carnarvon. He offered to pay the arrears at the rate of 8s. per week, but she declined to accept the offer. Jones was sent to prison for two months.

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: July 27th. 1894.


On Friday evening, a little girl named Laura Ann Jones, the daughter of Mr. Owen Jones, Star Vaults, Pepper-lane, sustained serious injuries to her foot while playing, in company with a number of other children, on a turntable connected with the railway in the quay.

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: August 3rd. 1894.


On Sunday evening, while Mr. and Mrs. Tasker's two-year-old child was playing with his two brothers and servants in the house, it appears that he came across a bottle of lotion, essence of belladonna. The youngster drank some of the contents of this bottle, and became unconscious. Mrs. Tasker had only gone out a few minutes previously on a visit to a neighbour, after returning from service. Knowing where her mother was, one of the little daughters ran to inform her of the little lad's illness. When the mother returned, she found the child very ill and unconscious. Dr. Fraser was immediately called in, and after several hours' efforts succeeded in counteracting the effects of the poison.

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: August 3rd. 1894.


About five o'clock on Saturday afternoon, as Master Teddy Owen, the seven-year-old child of Mr. Robert Owen, ship broker, was fishing on the old wooden jetty at Ty'nycei, he was suddenly seen to disappear by his mother, who was at the time looking through the window. An alarm was immediately given to the father, who rushed towards the spot. But he was too agitated to see clearly what was best to be done. Seeing the perplexed state of the father, a carpenter, named Mr. Richard Jones, Eleanor-street, ran to the jetty, and there saw Mr. Owen's child in the water. Stripping off his coat, Jones plunged to the rescue. In a few minutes he was able to restore the child to his parents, but in a state of semi-consciousness. The services of Dr. Williams were obtained, under whose treatment he is making favourable progress. We trust the conduct of Mr. Richard Jones will be brought to the attention of the Royal Humane Society.

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: August 3rd. 1894.


Mr. Augustus Lewis, H. M. Inspector of Factories for Wales, appeared to prosecute Messrs. Morris and Davies, of the Nelson Emporium, Messrs. Lonnie and Co., Mr. Evan H. Owen, of the Golden Eagle, and Messrs. Pierce and Williams, of the Golden Goat, for breaches of the Factory Acts. The first three firms were charged with having employed females after eight o'clock on the night of the 30th. June, without having forwarded to the inspector the requisite notice of such overtime. Mr. J. T. Roberts, on behalf of Messrs. Morris and Davies pleaded guilty to a technical offence. Mr. Roberts explained that owing to the near approach of the Eisteddfod week, his clients, who employed a large number of hands, were very much pressed with work. It was true that a number of women were employed after eight o'clock , but the principals of the firm had no knowledge whatever of it. Mr. Roberts also appeared for Messrs. Lonnie and Co., and Mr. Carter for Mr. E. H. Owen. The defence in these cases was of similar nature. Messrs. Pierce and Williams, of the Golden Goat, were charged under a different section of the Act, namely, on a charge of employing females after ten o'clock on the night in question. Mr. J. T. Roberts said that the defence in this case was that the clerk was under a misapprehension as to the limit of overtime. Notice had been forwarded to the inspector of this firm's intention to work overtime. Being under the impression that they had the right to go on until half-past ten, they had continued to work after ten o'clock. Notice of intention to work overtime was not wanting in this case. The bench was of opinion, as these were the first cases of the kind heard of in Carnarvon, that justice would be met by the payment of costs in each instance.

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: August 17th. 1894.


On Tuesday, Mr. William Griffith, bookseller, of Pool-street, was the recipient of a very handsome marble time-piece and bronze vases, from friends connected with Moriah Church, in recognition of his long services of over 50 years as leader of the singing, which office he recently resigned. Three of the eldest deacons and the pastor of the church were deputed to make the presentation at his private residence, 23, Wellington-terrace. His numerous friends will be pleased to learn that Mr. Griffith is now convalescent after a severe illness.

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: August 24th. 1894.


The effects of an evident forcible entry between Sunday and Monday to the shop of Mr. Joseph Roberts, grocer and provision dealer, Pool-street, is another instance in support of the supposition that there is in the neighbourhood a daring and expert burglar. Above the door of the shop, situated in one of the most frequented thoroughfares in the town, is a fan-light, and no doubt someone effected an entrance by this way. How this was done can only be conjectured, as the person must have had a ladder or was lifted by a companion to reach the fan. His finger and thumb marks in descending into the shop are to be seen plainly along the painted woodwork. Once in the place, the front door, which had the key in it, was opened, ready for a retreat when required. For further warning a number of biscuit boxes had been placed against the door by which the shop is entered from the other premises. The burglar then broke open a drawer by bursting the woodwork, to all appearance with a sardine box opener found in the place. The drawer, as well as the one beneath, contained only papers. From the empty space after the drawer had been taken out the person bored a hole in a parallel drawer, and afterwards ripped up a piece of the side, thus enabling him to put his hand in a place where there was again only papers. He also went to the till drawer under the counter, and here found a sixpence. Ther were three unbrellas on the shop floor, opened out to dry. The burglar picked out a new silk article, and decamped with it, no doubt it being useful, as it was a rainy night. He also appropriated to himself a useful mackintosh. Apart from these articles Mr. Roberts is not aware that anything else was removed. The family in the house heard no disturbance whatever, but some neighbours believe that they heard a noise about the place shortly after midnight. The police are investiagting the affair.

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: September 7th. 1894.


Between two and three o'clock on Sunday morning, one of the inhabitants of Greengate-street discovered the beginning of what might have been a most disastrous fires ever seen in the town had it not been extinguished in time. It appears that some evil-doer at present unknown had coated the large door leading to Mr. Hugh Williams's furnishing warehouse with petroleum or some other inflammable oil, and then set fire to the same. Happily, one of the neighbours found it in good time, and with the assistance of Police-sergeant Pritchard and other police officers, together with a number of the residents in that locality, managed to extinguish the flames before they had done any great damage. Had the fire got a strong hold of these premises, it is more than probable that it would have extended to the whole block, thereby destroying some of the finest shops in Carnarvon. But, thanks to the police and the neighbours, their prompt action saved the residents of Carnarvon from witnessing such a disastrous fire, and defeated the villainy of some unknown person or persons. The premises and stock are only partially insured. The police are now investigating the matter.

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: September 7th. 1894.


On Wednesday evening, at the Salem Chapel Schoolroom, under the presidency of Mr. J. R. Pritchard, J. P., views of Egypt were displayed by means of a magic lantern, manipulated by Mr. R. D. Williams, Porth-yr-Aur. The views were explained by Mr. Ellis J. Humphreys, who is on a visit to this town from Egypt. There was a large attendance, and the entertainment proved very interesting.

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: September 14th. 1894.


A singular occurrence took place at Mr. Evan Hugh Owen's business premises, the Golden Eagle, in Bridge-street, on Friday morning. It appears that Mr. Owen had placed 45 in gold and 45 in notes in a waste paper box under the desk of his office the previous night. On Friday morning the shop boys, as usual swept the shop and cleared the box in question, taking its contents to the back to be burned, little dreaming of the valuable nature of the supposed rubbish. Later in the day a number of children were playing at the back of the premises, when one of them, in sifting some rubbish came across 43 in gold. The child handed the money to its parents, who subsequently transferred it to Mr. Owen. On a further search being made, bank notes to the value of 45 were discovered, all of them partially destroyed by fire. Fortunately Mr. Owen obtained the number of about 40 worth of the notes, and it is just possible that he will be able to recover at the bank.

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: September 21st. 1894.


The employees of the North Wales Cycle Works had a pic-nic and athletic sports at Dinas Dinlle on Thursday. The winners in the Sports were:- 100 yards flat race, J. Owen; half-mile bicycle race, R. Owen; long jump, J. Owen; three-legged race, J. Owen and E. Ames. Tea was provided at 4.30, when 22 sat down to an excellent spread catered for by Mrs. Jones. The half-holiday was then spent in a most enjoyable manner, favoured by splendid weather.

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: September 28st. 1894.


On Monday, Mr. David Williams, contractor, commenced the work of erecting a new corn mill, with all modern appliances, for Mr. John Prichard, of the Peblig Mills, at the north-end of the new basin. This, no doubt, will be an immense acquisition not only to the trade of the town but also to labour. The following tenders were received by the architect, Mr. Evan Evans, the county surveyor:- Mr. Evan Jones, Plas Dolydd, 3610; Mr. Owen Morris, 3175; Mr. Hugh Hughes, 2986; Mr. David Williams, 2869; and Mr. R. Roger Willians, 2720.

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: September 28st. 1894.


At five o'clock on Saturday morning one of the Carnarvon constables, while on his beat in the vicinity of the railway station, noticed smoke ascending in the direction of Ysgubor Wen. He immediately went towards the place, and there found a haystack, belonging to Mr. John Hughes, gardener, on fire. He at once gave the alarm, and the fire brigade were soon on the scene, but their efforts to save the stack proved fruitless.

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: October 5th. 1894.


About half past eight on Saturday night a young man named Griffith Jones, Chapel Street, died suddenly at the Britannia Inn, Castle Square. It appears that the deceased, who had been in ill-health for several weeks, was sitting in the smoke-room with other customers, when he became ill and partially unconscious. Dr. John Williams, who attended the deceased during his illness, was sent for, but death ensued in a few minutes. He was well known and had been in the employ of the Singer Sewing Machine Company for many years. The cause of death was disease of the heart.

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: November 9th. 1894.


Many of our readers will learn with regret of the death of Thomas Hughes, youngest son of the late Mr. Hugh Hughes, shoemaker, Pool-side, who accidentally fell overboard the barque "Oakhurst," on the 7th. June, 1894, while on her outward voyage from Liverpool to Melbourne. The deceased was very well known in the town, especially among the maritime fraternity. Captain Thomas Williams conveyed the sad intelligence in a very sympathetic letter to Mr. Jones, of Stanfield-road, Everton.

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: November 9th. 1894.


Carnarvon at present posseses three or four tobacco manufactories. It is now rumoured that shortly works for the making of lucifer matches will be opened in the town.

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: November 23rd. 1894.


We observe from the list of tenders sent in for the erection of the proposed new pier at Bangor, that the firm of Messrs. De Winton and Co., was the only one that tendered from the Principality. Their estimate was 15,472 10s. as compared with 14,475, the accepted tender of Mr. Alfred Thorne, Westminster, London.

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: December 21st. 1894.


Mr. J. R. Pritchard (the mayor) has received an intimation from Mr. Assheton Smith to the effect that he is willing for the town council to demolish the first house on the south-west side of Castle-square in order to improve the place by planting trees thereon.

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: December 28th. 1894.


The above gentleman has passed through the final examination for the B. A. degree of the London University with double honours in classics and French. From the time Mr. Williams left the Board Schools, as the holder of a North Wales Scholarship, and during his course in the Friars School and the University College of North Wales, Bangor, his career has been distinguished by brilliant successes in the chief examinations of London and Cambridge University. Last summer he was awarded a travelling scholarship by the Bangor University College to enable him to travel in France, and there learn conversational French.

  © 2003 - 2021 Keith Morris. All rights reserved