The Repository of all Things Historical for the Ancient Welsh Town of Carnarvon

  Castle Square, Carnarvon. Published by Williams & Hughes, Bridge Steet, 1850



What's New


List of Trades






Parish Chest


Caernarfon Ddoe/
Caernarfon's Yesterdays

Contact & Links



From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: January 6th. 1899.


Miss Edith A. Humphreys has decided to open a Private School for boys and girls at Paternoster Buildings (in consequence of Miss George's retirement). English, Elementary Drawing, Elementary French, Music and Calisthenics, &c. Terms on application at Paternoster Buildings, Castle Square.

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: January 13th. 1899.


The girls and infant department of the Carnarvon Board Schools reopened after the Christmas vacation, on Monday last. The boys' school, which has recently been renovated, will be reopened on Monday. It has been decided to postpone the ceremony which it was intended to hold at the reopening.

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: January 13th. 1899.


Mr. Silvester, of the Pavilion, on Saturday evening last, subscribed twenty-five guineas towards the following charitable objects:- Ten guineas towards the Cottage Hospital, ten guineas towards St. Mark's Home, and five guineas towards the Lifeboat Fund. When Mr. Silvester announced his intention of doing so to a crowded audience at the Pavilion on Saturday, he was received with a loud burst of cheering.

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: January 20th. 1899.


We are informed that Messrs. Lake and Company are about to make an application for power to illuminate their premises with electric light. The motive power will be obtained from the Seiont Mills, and it is believed that its strength will be sufficient, if necessary, to provide the whole town with electricity.

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: January 20th. 1899.


In consequence of the accident at the gasworks the quality of gas supplied to the town during the past few days has been very poor, and in many instances, where engines and machines are worked by gas power, the engines failed to perform their duties, and the owners were put to very considerable inconvenience. In addition to this an abominable stench pervaded those premises where gas was used, and several people were affected in consequence.

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: January 20th. 1899.

Advert for Robert Roberts. C.D.H. 6th. January, 1899.  K. Morris
Advert for Robert Roberts. C.D.H. 6th. January, 1899.
K. Morris



Through the generosity of Mr. John E. Greaves, Lord-lieutenant of the county, the cottage hospital committee have been provided with a most suitable and convenient site, containing about half an acre, for the erection of a new hospital close to the railway station. The building will now be forthwith proceeded with. The new hospital will cost from 2000 to 2500, and will provide wards for males and females, altogether 12 beds, matrons, and operating rooms, &c. Mr. Charles A. Jones is the hon. sec. of the building committee. The movement for the erection of a new hospital was set on foot shortly after the death of the late Col. R. ap Hugh Williams, and in consequence of an offer of the Misses Antonia and Mary Williams to contribute 250 thereto. Several handsome subscriptions have also been promised, and there is every reason for sanguine expectations that the amount required will soon be forthcoming.

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: January 27th. 1899.


Incessant heavy rains on Friday night and Saturday caused the river Seiont to overflow its banks with the result that the low-lying fields near the Union Workhouse had the appearance of a huge lake. The inhabitants of a house close by were driven from their cottage by the waters which rushed into the house, and at midnight it was over a foot in depth, and covered a small footbridge which led over a stream into the garden.

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: February 3rd. 1899.


A young drummer-boy, named Robert Hodson, who was once attached to the staff of the local militia, was charged before Mr. J. R. Pritchard, on Wednesday, with obtaining four watches and a chain, value 12 10s., from Mr. R. Lloyd, watchmaker, High-street, by means of a trick. He was arrested at Bangor by Sergeant Jones, with two watches in his possession, the others having been pawned. - He was remanded in custody until Monday.

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: February 17th. 1899.


The town still suffers from bad gas, and in spite of the repeated promises made at the last council meeting, the illuminant has been worse than ever. On Sunday night, hardly sufficient light was obtainable in the churches and chapels to read with, and on Monday evening every room where gas was used was filled with an unpleasant smell and poisonous fumes.

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: February 17th. 1899.

In consequence of the phenomenal high tides of last week - the highest for 40 years - many of the lower streets in the town were flooded, especially Bank-street and Crown-street, and boats had to be requisitioned to convey food to the occupants, who were confined to the upper rooms. Water found its way to the Union Foundry, and the men were compelled to give up work. Boats also plied under the castle walls, and a flat, under the command of Captain Robert Evans, ran on the landing stage, near the Angelsey Inn, and sustaned considerable damage. The wind, on Monday evening, too, was strong, and some damage was caused to the roofs of houses, and a storm of thunder and lightning swept over the town.

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: February 24th. 1899.


Jumping competition, athletic sports, &c., will be held as usual on Easter Monday next, under the presidency of Lloyd W. G. Hughes, Esq., Coedhelen. Further particulars will appear in our advertising columns next week. E. Griffiths, Eagle Hotel, Carnarvon, secretary.

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: February 24th. 1899.


Advert for Caradoc Rowland. C.D.H. 7th. April, 1899.  K. Morris
Advert for Caradoc Rowland. C.D.H. 7th. April, 1899. K. Morris

On Wednesday, Mr. W. H. Preece, C.B., F.R.S., retired from the position of chief engineer and electrician to her Majesty's Post-office, and in his retirement the public service loses one of its greatest chiefs and most brilliant departmental officers. It is understood that the age regulations of the department require retirement at 65, and Mr. Preece was 65 years of age on the day of his retirement. Mr. Preece was first intended for the Army, but his father's death rendered it necessary for him to earn his living. He was educated at King's College, and in 1852 entered the office of Mr. E. Clarke, chiefly known as the engineer of the Britannia Tube across the Menai Straits, and in the following year accepted a clerkship at 30s. a week. When Mr. Clarke became engineer to the Electrical Telegraph Company, Mr. Preece became greatly interested in electricity. He was engaged in laying down some underground wires between Liverpool and Manchester, and in the operations some remarkable scientific facts were developed. Faraday and the Astronomer Royal were called on to investigate them, and Mr. Preece was attached to them in the conduct of the ensuing experiments. At twenty, Mr. Preece had charge of the Southern District of the Electrical Telegraph Company; then he became superintendent of one district of the South-Western Railway's telegraphs. The transfer of the telegraphs to the control of the Postmaster-General in this country took place in 1870. Mr. Preece in that year gave up his other appointments, and was made divisional engineer for the South of England. Seven years later he was promoted to the post of electrician to the Post-office, and then went to London, and in 1892 he was made engineer-in-chief and electrician, the position which he is now vacating. The growth of the Telegraphs Department since the Government acquired the business has been enormous. In 1870 there were 60,000 miles of wire; there are now 300,000; and in the same period the number of instruments has been increased from 4000 to 32,000. Yet the capital outlay remains the same - the cost of this development having defrayed out of revenue. In its telegraphic system the country has an asset the present value of which Mr. Preece estimates at some sum between 30,000,000 and 40,000,000 sterling. The extraordinary development of telegraphy in Mr. Preece's time is also shown by the fact that when he first entered the Post-office the number of words transmitted was only 120 a minute. Now no less than 600 words a minute can be sent between London and Birmingham; 450 between London and Dublin; while 120 a minute can be sent as far as Rome.

Advert for the Castle Hotel. C.D.H. 6th. January, 1899.  K. Morris
Advert for the Castle Hotel. C.D.H. 6th. January, 1899.
K. Morris

To him belongs the distinction of having introduced three of the most useful of modern inventions into England - the telephone, the phonograph, and the electric bell. He was also one of the first - Lord Armstrong being the very first - to introduce the electric light into his own house. With reference to electric bells, Mr. Preece says he happened to notice them when he was on his wedding tour. The Grand Hotel, in Paris, was just finished, and electric bells had been fitted up. He brought them over to England, wrote several papers, and the result was their general adoption. When the telephone was first getting into work, the Queen was anxious to test its powers, and accordingly arrangements were made to put Osborne, Portsmouth, and London in telephonic communication with one another. With this in view, it was arranged that a band should play in London at nine o'clock so that her Majesty might hear the music. Some slight mishap occurred to the Osborne section of the wire, and the Queen's coming was delayed. The musicians, after playing some time, were dismissed. Shortly after great consternation was caused by the receipt of a wire from Osborne stating that the Queen had arrived, and was ready to hear the music. What was to be done? The band had departed, and there was no way of getting another. On a hasty impulse the gentleman in charge decided to see what he could do in the way of a band, and hummed "God Save the Queen" through the telephone. Then he inquired if her Majesty had recognised the tune. "Yes," was the reply; "it was the National Anthem, but very, badly badly played." The "band" which played so badly on that occasion was Mr. W. H. Preece.

No living man has done so much to bring the engineering department of the postal telegraph service to its present state of efficiency, and has had charge of the erection and maintenance of all the Government telegraphs and telephones of the United Kingdom and all the submarine cables controlled or owned by this country. His inventions include a new method of duplex telegraphy (1855), a new mode of terminating wires (1858), the application of electricity for signalling between different parts of a train in motion (1861), locking signals on railways by means of electricity (1865), a new telephone (1878). His latest discovery is that of telegraphy by induction, which bids fair to produce results even more important and far-reaching than his previous achievements. Many communications have been passed over fairly long distances without the use of telegraph wires, and Mr. Preece hold out hopes that it will be possible by this means of utilising electrical waves of communication across planetary space. In an address at the Society of Arts, Mr. Preece remarked that strange, mysterious sounds were heard on all long-distance telephone lines when the earth was used as a return, especially in the stillness of the night. Earth currents were found in telegraph circuits, and Aurora Borealis lit up the northern sky when the sun's photosphere was disturbed by spots. The sun's surface must at such times be violently disturbed by electrical storms, and if oscillations were set up and radiated through space, in sympathy with those required to affect telephones, it was not a wild dream to say that they might hear on the earth a thunderstorm in the sun.

Advert for Griffith Owen's Invalid Stout. C.D.H. 7th. April, 1899.  K. Morris
Advert for Griffith Owen's Invalid Stout. C.D.H. 7th. April, 1899. K. Morris

In conversation with a "Daily Telegraph" representative the other day, Mr. Preece said:-
"There are two things upon which I pride myself. One is the introduction of the block system, which was in very little use until it was established by me on the London and South-Western Railway. The other is the increase of the rate of working of the Wheatstone automatic apparatus from 80 to 600 words per minute. In accomplishing this, I have had the aid of a most zealous and efficient staff. The apparatus is used almost solely for the transmission of news, and by means of it hundreds of thousands of words are transmitted nearly every night. It would have been impossible to cope with this work without the Wheatstone instrument. I recollect when Sir Stafford Northcote was Chancellor of the Exchequer, he made a speech in a small town in the North of Ireland. We had only one wire available, but the Wheatstone automatic enabled us to transmit the speech simultaneously to every town in the United Kingdom where a daily paper was established. In 1877, in the company of Sir Henry Fischer, I visited the United States, and the result of our investigations was the introduction of "sound reading" into this country, which has not only accelerated telegraphy, but has rendered it more accurate. We also brought over with us the system of quadruplex telegraphy - by which four messages are sent on one wire at one time, two in each direction. This was an invention of Eddison. It is in very extensive use, and has been much modified by my staff. In 1884, I again visited the United States, and this time brought back with me a multiplex system of telegraphy, by which six messages are sent on the one wire at the same time, in either direction. This system has recently been modified by a young electrician of the Post-office staff - Mr. Pollock - and now we are able to send on the "Octoplex" eight messages simultaneously on the one wire. There is every prospect, too, that we shall be in the position to increase the number of messages to twelve."

"Working at a high rate of speed?"

"No, by key speed."

"One result of your visit to the United States was the introduction of the telephone in these islands, was it not?"

"Yes. It is generally believed that the introduction of the telephone into this country was opposed by the Post-office; but that is an absolute fallacy. The object of my visit to the States was to examine and inquire into this new thing. It was instantly put into use here, and it has been the subject of investigation and inquiry ever since. Nearly every improvement of any consequence has either emanated from the Post-office, or has been the result of inquiry by the department. We were the first to advocate the employ of metallic circuits, now the universal system in this country and America. It has been recently stated in the Times that the patent rights of the telephones were offered to the Post-office and refused. I can contradict this statement, for I myself asked the agent of Professor Graham Bell, the inventor of the telephone, what they desired for this patent, and I was told that they were not going to sell it to the Government, for they expected they would get much more money out of the City - meaning financiers. We never had the chance of purchasing the patent. Professor Hughes brought his microphone - which is the transmitting part - to me, and I think he will acknowledge that it was due to the encouragement given to him by the Post-office that his invention was so rapidly adopted. A system of automatic "calling" and visual signalling, by which the work of telephony is greatly expedited, was my own invention, and this is now being recognised in the United States as a valuable aid."

"On the question of telephones, Mr. Preece, I must ask you one direct question," said his visitor, "Do you think that telephones should become the property of the State?"

Advert for John Owen's Welsh Chutney Sauce. C.D.H. 6th. January, 1899.  K. Morris
Advert for John Owen's Welsh Chutney Sauce. C.D.H. 6th. January, 1899. K. Morris

"I have given the strongest possible evidence on that point before at the Select Committee, to the effect that telephony is Imperial business, part and parcel of that of the Post-office, covered by the monopoly of the Postmaster-General, and that it can be worked in conjunction with the Post-office better than by any other system. But this question is one of finance and Government policy - two points which do not come within my province as a technical officer."

"The development of the trunk system in this country since 1896 has been extraordinary," resumed Mr. Preece, in dwelling upon the progress of his department. "It has not only exceeded our estimates, but has been reflected upon the business of the National Telephone Company, whose subscribers numbered 47,878 in 1892, and they are now 120,144. The most signal advance that we have made, however, has been in the construction of underground and submarine cables for telephone working. We are now engaged in laying an underground line of seventy-six wires, insulated with paper, protected by lead, and drawn into a three-inch cast-iron pipe, between London and Birmingham. It is anticpiated that there will be no difficulty in speaking by telephone through this line, which is the first of its kind. Here is a section of it. The progress that we have made in this direction is evidenced from the fact that a few years ago we could not speak through more than twelve, or at the most twenty, miles of underground wire.

"I have indicated many of the improvements that have been made in apparatus, but I have not sufficiently pointed out that much of the speed and accuracy of working is due to the perfection of manufacture, to the introduction of standards, and to the system of electrical measurement initiated by the British Association; and, probably, too, to the rigid system of specification, inspection, and examination that I have, with all my power and might, endeavoured to secure for our apparatus. The important improvements made in the construction of telegraphs, overhead, underground, and submarine, are equally marked. We have done all we can to defend ourselves against such enemies as storms, especially snowstorms, in the air, and boring animals in the water - from the effects of lightning, as well as from the ravages of microscopic life in our underground cables.

"On January 12th. there was, probably, the most severe storm that we have ever experienced in this country. Of the 6000 circuits that we possess, over 1100 were broken down on the morning of January 13th. last. Over 500 of these circuits were restored next day (Saturday), and, owing to the intervention of Sunday, on Monday morning we recommenced with our service in its normal condition. I remember that the storm of 1866 completely disabled the whole system of the country for some weeks. The underground system between London and Birmingham, of which I have told you, is the beginning of a great network of underground lines, which will render the service practically indifferent to such storms.

Advert for a retirement sale following Hugh Williams's death. C.D.H. 6th. January, 1899.  K. Morris
Advert for a retirement sale following Hugh Williams's death. C.D.H. 6th. January, 1899. K. Morris

"A further great improvement has been effected during the last three or four years by the replacement of primary batteries with secondary batteries. In the central office alone we had been employing from thirty to forty thousand primary cells, and these are now replaced by one thousand accumulators. Throughout the country the economy has been very great indeed. But there, haven't I told you enough?"

"You are leaving out wireless telegraphy?"

"Oh, dear me, yes; but that's an old story to me. I have been working at it steadily since 1881, on the electromagnetic system, which differs essentially from the electro-static system, recently introduced by Marconi with such promising results. Mine is practically in use between Lavernock, near Cardiff, and Flatholm, an island in the Bristol Channel - a distance of 3 miles. There has never been an interruption or a fault. It is hoped that before long the Marconi system will be adapted for lightships and shipping, and that it will be fitted to one of the lightships on the Goodwins. There are wires in both systems, and so the term "wireless telegraphy" is a misnomer. I prefer to call it aetheric telegraphy."

His visitor led Mr. Preece to "enthuse" upon the subject, and the vista he opened up of the possibilities in store was immense, but he suddenly brought one down to earth again by saying, "By the way, there is a general impression that aethereal telegraphy will dispense with the ugly poles and wires; but, unfortunately, they are likely to be maintained wherever they can be erected, for the new system is not quite so economical as the old. Aetheric telegraphy will be of prime service to moving bodies like navies and armies."

"What first put you on the scent of the new telegraphy?"

"My attention was first directed to it in 1884 by the fact that certain messages sent through our central station to Bradford were read upon the circuit of the telephone company in its exchange by an old telegraphist who had been in the postal service. As this was a serious matter I investigated the whole subject very thoroughly, and I traced the cause to induction, which let me to experiment, and as the result, in 1885-6 I was able to communicate through space for a considerable distance without any connecting wire at all."

Advert for H. Isgaer Lewis's Boots & Shoes. C.D.H. 6th. January, 1899.  K. Morris
Advert for H. Isgaer Lewis's Boots & Shoes.
C.D.H. 6th. January, 1899. K. Morris


On Thursday night, Mr. Preece gave a banquet to a large and distinguished company at the Engineers' Institute. Amongst the company present were the Duke of Norfolk and other eminent personages. The Eryri Male Voice Choir, conducted by Mr. John Williams, sang several pieces during the proceedings. At the close, Mr. Preece, speaking on behalf of the company present, warmly congratulated the choir on their success, and expressed great satisfaction at the fine singing of the choir at the banquet.

The "Leeds Mercury" observes:- "The retirement of Mr. W. H. Preece from the position of chief electrician to the Post-office is probably a blessing in disguise, for Mr. Preece proposes now to devote his time to scientific experiments, which may result in remarkable benefits to the country. He is, for instance, hopeful of conducting many interesting researches to a successful conclusion - notably those relating to the transmission of a person's likeness over the wires. This achievement, Mr. Preece maintains, is quite possible, and he intends to prosecute his studies on the subject with all that skill and energy which have brought him renown as an electrician. He has already made it possible to reproduce handwriting by electricity, but is confident that the process can be greatly simplified, and thereby applied to everyday use. A person signing a document in Paris can have his signature simultaneously made in London by a pen which seems guided by a phantom hand. The utility of this discovery when brought into workable form cannot be exaggerated.

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: March 17th. 1899.


Mr. J. Burns, a local custom house officer, has for two years discharged his duties on a bicycle, and during that period has ridden 12,000 miles. It is interesting to note that out local manufacturers are able to turn out machines capable of such a strain, for Mr. Burns rides a "Mona."

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: March 17th. 1899.


Arrangements had been made by two well-known "corner boys" in the town to have a few rounds with bare knuckles in the Militia field on Sunday evening, and the rough element of the town having come to hear of it, anticipated a rare treat. The fun was, however, spoiled by the police, for Supt. Harris came to hear of the fight, and surrounded the field with a number of officers. One of the parties concerned had already arrived upon the scene with about 30 supporters, all eager for the fray, but they spied the men in blue, and took to their heels. The sport did not come off, but the officers had some rare fun watching the disappearance of the brave pugilists.

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: March 31st. 1899.


This dread disease has been playing havoc in the town during the past week or two, and among the victims is Mr. H. Lloyd Carter, who, for some days, was reported to be in a precarious condition. Several cases in the borough police court, on Monday, had to be adjourned, owing to his absence, but we are pleased to say that he is now recovering.

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: March 31st. 1899.

Advert for Pritchard Brothers. C.D.H. 6th. January, 1899.  K. Morris
Advert for Pritchard Brothers. C.D.H. 6th. January, 1899.
K. Morris


There has recently been considerable discontent among the staff of the Carnarvon Post-office, caused by the introduction of female labour. Two young male clerks, 19 years of age, who had passed the civil service examination, had been for four years engaged as substitutes for the ordinary sorting clerks and telegraphists, at a salary of 12s. a week, and were kept on with a promise that they would be permanently appointed. However, when vacancies occurred, several young ladies were introduced to the office, and three out of the five had not passed the examination. The young men were also reduced to the positions of "paid learners," at a salary of 6s. per week, where it is contended that they ought now to be in receipt of 18s. or 20s. per week. The case is rendered the more hard inasmuch as the "paid learners" will have to assist the young ladies, and assume their responsibility until such time as they become experienced. Much indignation has been caused in consequence, and a letter has been sent to Mr. D. Lloyd-George, so that the case may be brought before the notice of the Postmaster General, and, if necessary, the House of Commons.

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: April 7th. 1899.


Mr. H. Lloyd Carter, who has for some time been suffering from a severe attack of influenza, has been ordered by his medical advisers to take a complete rest at Southport.

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: April 7th. 1899.


During the week there died at Carnarvon four old ladies, whose total ages amounted to 332 years. They were Mrs. Margaret Williams, Eleanor-street, 89; Mrs. Hudson, Wellington-terrace, 85; Mrs. Griffith, North-road, 79; and Mrs. Jane Roberts, Evans-court, 79.

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: April 14th. 1899.


Much good work has lately been done by Miss A. G. Preece in connection with the Llanbeblig Ladies' Guild towards liquidating the debt caused by the restoration of the Parish Church, and the other day, they were able to hand over 100 to the fund.

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: April 14th. 1899.


The Welsh tobacco manufacturers, Messrs. Lake and Co. Ltd., in view of a possible rise in the tobacco duty, which was expected to be announced in the Budget statement on Thursday, were on Thursday busily engaged clearing an emormous quantity of tobacco leaf from bond. All the available and numerous vehicles of the firm were throughout the morning removing the heavy stock, and it is probable that Carnarvon never witnessed before a similar transfer of the precious weed. The change in the tobacco duty did not come off after all, but Messrs. Lake and Co. are to be congratulated upon their enterprise.

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: April 21st. 1899.


Early on Saturday morning, an outbreak of fire was discovered in the printing establishment of Mr. Gwenlyn Evans by Sergeant Owen. Every effort was made by the fire brigade and the police, under the command of Deputy-chief constable Harris, to extinguish it, and to prevent its spread to the adjoining dwelling-houses. After a stubborn fight with the flames, they were got under, but not until much damage had been done. The wooden stairs leading into the printing office were totally destroyed, and 2000 copies of a Welsh translation of the popular novel, "In His Steps," which was in press and practically printed, were destroyed.

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: April 28th. 1899.


The shipments of slate from the port of Carnarvon this month has been exceptionally heavy - about 300 tons per week higher than the average; Mr. W. A. Darbishire has, during this month, shipped large quantities to London and Hamburg.

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: April 28th. 1899.



Mr. Meade King, Local Government Board inspector, on Tuesday, held an inquiry into the application of the Carnarvon Town Council for power to borrow 3310 for the purpose of constructing a new reservoir and laying down mains to the town. There were present at the inquiry: Dr. Parry (mayor), Dr. Griffith, Mr. Bodvel-Roberts (town clerk), Mr. D. H. Jones (borough accountant), and Mr. Hall (the surveyor).

Advert for G. H. Moore's Musical Instruments. C.D.H. 7th. April, 1899.  K. Morris
Advert for G. H. Moore's Musical Instruments. C.D.H. 7th. April, 1899. K. Morris

Mr. D. H. Jones, in the course of his evidence, said that the population of the town at the last census was 9844, but a large number of new houses had been erected since, and he believed the population had now increased. He also stated that the assessable value was 29,326 for general district rate, and 32,724 for the borough rate.

Mr. Bodvel-Roberts said they had gone into the matter, and there was a slight difference - an increase in the cost of material, and more pipes were required, than was at first anticipated. The length of main was about 200 yards more, and consequently the estimates were increased, and an amended estimate would be put in. It was also intended to place a ten-inch instead of an eight main, because it would be ample for the supply of the same quantity of water as the present two eight-inch pipes. The present pipes were laid over 30 years ago.

Mr. Hall, the surveyor, said that the proposed gradient would be one in 200. The capacity of the existing reservoir was 2,780,000 gallons, and the capacity of the proposed reservoir would be the same. Two and a half acres of land would be acquired for the proposed reservoir, of which one half had already been purchased and paid for, a sum of 100 having been given for it. No agreement had been made for the purchase of the remainder, but a letter had been received from the owner, expressing his willingness to sell, and the land was to be valued. The gathering ground was Snowdon, and the water supplying the reservoir would be the overflow of the Quellyn Lake, which was 3 miles from the reservoir. They proposed supplying the whole of the population of Carnarvon, and a small village outside. At present, they received 63 gallons per head per day, the maximum consumption being 55 gallons per head per day, and with the increased water they calculated supplying a population of 15,000 with 60 gallons per head per day. The reservoir would be constructed with an ordinary earth bank, and a yard of clay, the banks would be made with the same material, and puddled and pitch, while the overflow would have to work through a six-inch pipe, into a ditch, while the supply pipe was ten inch. The present estimate exceeds the original by 896.

Mr. R. Ll. Jones explained the plans of the new reservoir, and then the inspector, together with the officials, went to view the spot.

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: May 5th. 1899.

Before buying a Bicycle, don't fail to see the White Cycles and Wincycles, fitted with the new bottom bracket. Machines from 10 10s. Depot, High-street, Carnarvon.

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: May 12th. 1899.


This week, the free library has been closed, and the papers removed to an upstairs room, in order to facilitate the "spring cleaning" of the establishment.

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: May 12th. 1899.


The work of restoring the quay wall at Porth yr Aur is proceeding. The wall was damaged by the recent storm, and its repair will take some time. Pleasure-seekers and others who pass along the quay promenade complain of the boards placed up to protect the breach.

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: May 12th. 1899.


The committee of the Cottage Hospital, having decided to erect a new building on land presented by Mr. J. E. Greaves, the Lord-lieutenant, offered a premium for the best set of plans. Sixteen architects competed, and we understand that the committee have selected those of Mr. Rowland Lloyd Jones, who designed the Carnarvon Board Schools and the Intermediate School, now in course of erection. The new hospital will cost 2500.

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: May 19th. 1899.


It is reported in the "Bangor Diocesan Church Calendar and Clergy List," of 1899, that a debt of 800 still remains on Llanbeblig Church. About 500 has been collected during the past year.

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: May 19th. 1899.


This fine building is fast approaching completion. The whole structure is now practically under roof, and some of the rooms are being plastered. Mr. Rowland Lloyd Jones, the architect, hopes that the building will be ready for opening in September.

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: May 19th. 1899.


Some time ago, the corporation paved portions of North-pen'rallt with paving granite, but owing to the steepness of the street and the natural polishing of the granite by the tread of many feet, the parapet became dangerous to pedestrians, with the result that the corporation have now been compelled to take up the whole and use slate slabs instead.

Advert for the Eagles Hotel. C.D.H. 6th. Janaury, 1899.  K. Morris
Advert for the Eagles Hotel. C.D.H. 6th. January, 1899.
K. Morris

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: May 19th. 1899.


The booking office at the railway station was broken into on Monday night or early on Tuesday morning. When the office was left at ten o'clock on Monday night everything in it was right, but early on Tuesday morning the officials found that it was in a state of disorder. Part of a window had been removed, and it was through this opening that the entry was effected. Several of the drawers had been ransacked, and papers lay about the floor in all directions. A very determined attempt had been made to get at the contents of the safe. Some of the bricks in which the safe is encased had been removed and the lock tampered with, but access was not gained to the safe itself, nor was any property abstracted.

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: May 26th. 1899.


A general meeting of the above club will be held at the Cafe, Castle-square, next Tuesday evening, May 30th., at eight o'clock.

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: May 26th. 1899.


There have been during the past week or so quite a number of business changes in the town. The Star Tea Company have taken up the premises of the late Mr. Hugh Williams, while Mr. Isgaer Lewis has removed from Bridge-street to "Y Ddraig Goch," and his old premises again have been taken over by a large firm of brewers.

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: May 26th. 1899.

The Queen's birthday was duly celebrated in Carnarvon, and flags were hoisted at all the public buildings in the town, whilst Twthill and the vessels in the harbour were gaily decorated. In the evening a feu de joie was given by the Carnarvon Volunteers, commanded by Captain Williams, in Castle-square, and the Artillery company, under the command of Captain Whiskin, marched to Bontnewydd, and fired a feu de joie in honour of the event.

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: June 2nd. 1899.


The third annual general meeting of shareholders of Lake and Co., Ltd., was held on Thursday, June 1st., at the Royal Sportsman Hotel, Carnarvon, Mr. John Evans (chairman of the company) presiding. The Chairman, in moving the adoption of the reports and accounts, commented upon the improved results of the year's work as compared with the previous year, and congratulated the shareholders upon the satisfactory position of the company. He felt that they were amply justified in anticipating a further success for the ensuing year. The trade profit for the year was 3112, an excess of any year during the existence of the company, and the turnover showed a similar increase. The directors recommended the declaration of a balance dividend at the rate of six per cent. per annum, less income tax, on the preference and ordinary shares, leavng a balance of 154 to be carried forward - Mr. W. Williams seconded the motion, which was agreed to unanimously.

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: June 2nd. 1899.



During the past week or two, there has been a series of burglaries at Carnarvon which have been carried out in a more or less slovenly manner, but which, nevertheless, have so far baffled the local police. The occurrence of another in the heart of the town and in such a public place as Castle-square, has filled the inhabitants of the town, especially the most nervous of them, with dread. Serious, and by no means unreasonable, complaints are made that a spot like Castle-square should be left for a moment without police supervision, and it is not at all unlikely that unless very effective measures are taken by the police authorities to properly safeguard the townspeople in this respect, complaints will be made to the Home Office, calling attention to the apathy of the joint police committee, and the carelessness of the town council, who are supposed to act as the watch committee for the borough.

Advert for Evan Jones's Cycles. C.D.H. 7th. April, 1899.  K. Morris
Advert for Evan Jones's Cycles. C.D.H. 7th. April, 1899. K. Morris

On Monday night, or early on Tuesday morning, two outrages were committed, one of which was, perhaps, as daring a burglary as any previously heard of in this locality. The house attached to the boot establishment of Mr. Henry Edwards, Castle-square, was broken into. The burglar first gained access through a passage which is common to the houses on each side, and then forced open the side door leading to Mr. Edwards's premises. He then cooly lit the gas on the landing, and did the same afterwards in the sitting-room, overlooking Castle-square, where he ransacked all the drawers. The only persons occupying the house are a son and two daughters. From the sitting-room the burglar proceeded to the bedroom of one of the daughters, who was awakened by his entrance. She was almost transfixed with fear as she saw the daring scamp open drawer after drawer, and rip open a writing case and a handbag belonging to her, which were locked. She kept her peace until the man approached the bed, and put his hand under her head, apparently in search of a watch, and then the young woman screamed with all her might. This startled the stranger, and he took to his heels. The same noise also aroused the sister and brother, who slept in another part of the house, and they at once arrived at their sister's appartment, where they found her at the window calling out for the police. In a few minutes the cries attracted a constable who was on his beat on the opposite side of the square, but though he came at once, his arrival was too late to effect an arrest. The burglary happened at three o'clock in the morning, and the burglar is described by Miss Edwards as a man of rather tall stature, with black moustache, and wearing a cap.

Later in the morning, the police arrested a man on suspicion, but being satisfied that he had no connection with the affair, they discharged him.

About the same time, a burglarious entry was effected into the offices of the goods department at the railway station. The door was battered in with a piece of massive iron piping, and all the drawers were rifled. The only property carried away was a quantity of stamps of the value of 10s. This completes three burglaries in the town during three weeks; and, no arrest having been made, a strong feeling prevails in the town in favour of augmenting the strength of the police force for night duty purposes.

A man was arrested on Thursday night, at Pwllheli, on suspicion of being concerned in the burglary at Carnrvon, on Monday night, but he was discharged the following morning.

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: June 9th. 1899.


Messrs. John Wright and Co., Limited, of London and Birmingham, will exhibit their celebrated "Eureka" gas cooking and heating stoves, and other labour-saving appliances, at the Guild Hall soon.

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: June 16th. 1899.


During the past week, the fountain in Castle-square has been undergoing repairs. The inner basin, it seems, had been leaking for some time, and had to be cemented.

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: June 30th. 1899.


Two tenders were received for the erection of the new Cottage Hospital, and that of Mr. Edward Parry, for 2884, has been accepted.

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: June 30th. 1899.


Mr. M. T. Morris intends to erect ten new houses of a superior character on Balaclava-road, fronting the Straits. The foundations have already been cut and the work will be commenced as soon as the plans are approved of.

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: June 30th. 1899.


On Monday night, the ferry steamer "Arvon" sustained serious injury. It seems that the vessel was left overnight alongside the low-water pier, and the high tide lifted it to such a height that it rested on pillars attached to the stage. The vessel slipped from its temporary support when the ebb set in and nearly the whole of one side was badly damaged, the paddle box being twisted out of shape. The "Arvon" met with another mishap about a fortnight ago.

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: July 7th. 1899.


Mr. John Hamer, solicitor, has removed from Tower Buildngs, to 16, Church-street.

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: July 7th. 1899.


In the course of some excavations which took place for building purposes near the Vicarage on Friday, a number of workmen in the employ of Mr. Griffith Hughes came upon two large stones which have the appearance of old Roman fonts. They are pronounced by experts to be of great antiquity, and are the objects of much interest. Several interesting discoveries of Roman remains have been made in the same place from time to time, and many be the articles found have been placed in the Castle, but by a clause recently inserted in the leases granted by the Vaynol Estate, who are the owners, all articles discovered become the property of the estate.

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: July 21st. 1899.


We understand that a number of Bridge-street tradesmen paid a visit on Wednesday to Glangwna, the residence of the Lord-lieutenant, where they together with the electrical engineer inspected the electrical works.

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: July 28th. 1899.


Advert for Humphrey Thomas's Furniture Van. C.D.H. 7th. April, 1899.  K. Morris
Advert for Humphrey Thomas's Furniture Van. C.D.H. 7th. April, 1899. K. Morris

On Monday, before Richard Thomas, Esq., W. Hamer, Esq., and J. P. Gregory, Esq., Robert Williams, licensee of the White Horse, Bangor-street, Carnarvon, was summoned by Mr. H. Vaughan Davies, inspector under the County Council, for selling adulterated spirits. - Mr. Davies said he visited the house and obtained a quantity of Scotch whisky in a bottle, which he sealed in the defendant's presence and afterwards sent it to the public analyst, who certified that it was adulterated to the extent of 46 under proof. - Mr. S. R. Dew, for the defence, said that the whisky, which had been placed in a corner on a shelf in the bar, was never intended for sale. The prosecutor pointed to the particular bottle and demanded that its contents should be supplied to him, otherwise he would report the defendant. The latter, however, explained that a mistake had been made in mixing the whisky, which was nothing better than water. Eventually, the spirits were supplied to the prosecutor, who tendered 1s. 6d. in payment, but again the defendant declined to accept the money, on the ground that the stuff was never intended for sale. - The defendant corroborated the foregoing, and added that his wife, who had mixed the Scotch whisky on the day the inspector visited the house, had taken for granted that both Irish and Scotch whiskies should be mixed in exactly the same way. The fact, however, was that Irish whisky was supplied to him at 20 over proof and the Scotch at only proof; therefore it was obvious that if the same amount of water was applied to both whiskies the Scotch would be much more adulterated than the Irish. Further evidence having been tendered for the defence, the Bench dismissed the case. - Mrs. Rumsey Williams, licensee of the Harp Inn, Carnarvon, was summoned for a similar offence. In this case the whisky was certified by the analyst to be 44 under proof. - Mr. Vaughan Davies having given evidence in support of the charge, Mr. T. Henwood, for the defence, said that the prosecutor demanded to be served from a bottle which contained nothing but bottle washings, and which was not intended for sale. - The prosecutor explained that he had been supplied by a servant with a small whisky from the particular bottle before the defendant made her appearance at the bar, and he simply asked that half a pint of the same liquor should be put in a bottle for him in order that it might be sent to the public analyst. - The Bench inflicted a fine of 10s. and costs.

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: August 4th. 1899.


The work of constructing the Aber Bridge is proceeding slowly. The bulwarks on each side of the river are well in hand, and the approaches will be commenced shortly. The ironwork of the swing bridge has also arrived, and the work of putting it together, it is expected, will be completed at an early date.

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: August 11th. 1899.


A movement is on foot, among the residents of the upper part of the town, in the neighbourhood of Henwalia to send a petition in to the L. and N.-W. Railway Company, praying that a station be erected near Henwalia. There has been a very large increase in the population of this part of the town during recent years, and it is felt that a new station is necessary.

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: August 11th. 1899.



In the matter of the Aber (Carnarvon) Ferry Bridge arbritation recently, the arbitrator awarded the owner of the ferry rights the sun of 2070 as compensation. At the last meeting of the Carnarvon Town Council a bill of costs amounting to 761 14s. 9d. was presented on behalf of Mr. Lloyd Hughes, Coedhelen, the owner of the ferry rights. This bill has now been taxed and reduced by 467 2s. 11d., the balance being 294 11s. to which is added taxing fee of 7 8s., leaving a total of 301 19s. to be paid by the corporation, apart from their own costs.

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: August 18th. 1899.


The date for publicly presenting the freedom of the borough of Carnarvon upon Sir W. H. Preece, K.C., has been definitely fixed to take place on Thursday, the 21st. of September. There will be a public ceremony at the Guild Hall followed by a banquet at the Sportsman Hotel.

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: August 18th. 1899.


The death occurred, suddenly, on Tuesday, of Mrs. Mary Lloyd, aged 70 years, who resided in Baptist-street, and was a well-known character in the town. It is said that when the Crimean war broke out, she went out with her husband, who at that time was attached to the 23rd. Royal Welch Regiment, and she braved the awful terrors of that campaign in order to wait upon and cheer the Welsh soldiers engaged. The poor woman was out as usual at mid-day, but when she returned to the house complained of feeling ill and expired. The cause of death is said to be heart disease.

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: August 25th. 1899.


Sir W. H. Preece, late chief electrician to the Post-office, and Mr. Garey, who succeeded him to the position, have during the past few days, been experimenting with wireless telegraphy between Llanfaglan and Anglesey, it is stated that the experiments have turned out successful.

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: August 25th. 1899.


The work of erecting the new Cottage Hospital has been actually commenced. Subscriptions are still flowing in, and last week, Mr. C. A. Jones, who has already collected over 2000 towards this good institution, received a cheque for 5 from Mr. Llewelyn Parry, late of Craflyn.

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: August 25th. 1899.


Although we have for some weeks past been suffering from a period of drought, which caused much inconvenience in other towns, the water supply keeps good and plentiful, thanks to the efforts made by the borough surveyor to keep the mains in good condition. Even the Twthill houses are fairly well supplied. It is said that the water in the Seiont River has not been so low as it is at present for 21 years.

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: September 1st. 1899.


It has now been decided not to formally open the new Intermediate School in Bethel-road until the beginning of next year, when it is expected the buildings will have been finished throughout.

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: September 1st. 1899.


The contract for laying down electricity light plant at the rear of the Nelson Emporium for the purpose of illuminating that establishment has been let to Mr. Coleman, a local electrician. The whole of Messrs. Brymer and Davies's establishment, including the workrooms and the shops, are to be lit by electricity, and in Bridge-street there will be four big arc lamps each equal to about 1000 candle power, one at the entrance of each department.

Advert for Thomas Jones. C.D.H. 6th. January, 1899.  K. Morris
Advert for Thomas Jones. C.D.H. 6th. January, 1899.
K. Morris

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: September 1st. 1899.


The committee appointed by the town council to act with the prominent tradesmen of the town for the purpose of advertising Carnarvon as a pleasure resort have met, and have decided to publish a book containing the fullest information about the town and the places of interest in the locality, together with a list of drives, hotel tariffs, and the names of lodging-house keepers for circulation. It is also the intention of the committee to advertise in Bradshaw's and other Railway Guides, and to follow Bangor's enterprise by sending out pictorial posters to the principal centres of population in England.

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: September 15th. 1899.


The corporation have, this week, been carrying out some very necessary improvements in South-pen'rallt. New pavements have been placed along the road near Moriah Chapel, and the Board School, which have greatly improved the appearance and the comfort of the road.

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: September 22nd. 1899.


On Thursday, the employees of Messrs. Thomas and Edwards, of the Castle Mineral Waterworks, had their annual outing. The party to the number of 24 left the Royal Sportsman Hotel at 8.20 in two well appointed brakes. The first stop was Penygroes, when refreshments were partaken of. At Criccieth, dinner was served at 12 o'clock in the White Lion Hotel, in first rate style. Mr. T. J. Morrison, proposing the health of their principal, observed that the past season had been a very trying one for mineral water manufacturers. But it enabled them to measure their strength and try what could be done. The liquor and non-alcoholic wine trade seems to be only in its infancy. The health of Mr. Edwards was drunk with musical honours. Mr. D. T. Edwards suitably responded. He observed that no man could make a success of a business like theirs. It required the united efforts of every man engaged. They should each do their level best, then his part would be easy, and everything would go on smoothly as heretofore (cheers). At three o'clock a start was made for Portmadoc where fruits was served. The drive through Aberglaslyn Pass followed. A meat tea, which was thoroughly enjoyed, awaited the party at the Prince Llewelyn Hotel, Beddgelert. A halt was afterwards made at the Snowdon Ranger Hotel, and Carnarvon was reached at 10 o'clock. The day was beautiful and bright, and the drive splendid. The Llangefni employees had a separate outing. They went to the Agricultural Show at Bangor on Friday.

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: September 29th. 1899.


The work of laying down electric light plant for the purpose of illuminating the Nelson Emporium has been commenced, and will be completed, it is expected, a month hence.

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: September 29th. 1899.


We understand that the work of laying the foundations of the new cottage hospital are proceeding rapidly, and it is proposed to arrange for a formal ceremony, when the memorial stones will be laid by Mrs. Greaves.

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: September 29th. 1899.


The work of erecting this bridge is proceeding slowly, and the workmen are now engaged in building a "monkey house" on the top of the bridge. - The Local Government Board have taken into consideration the application of the council to borrow a further sum of 5000 to cover the whole cost in connection with the bridge.

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: September 29th. 1899.


The work of painting and renovating the Shirehall has been completed, and both the assize-room and the grand jury-room present a clean and tidy appearance. No change, however, has been made in the arrangement of the grand jury-room, and the old inconveniences to which professional gentlemen on duty in court complained of, still continue.

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: September 29th. 1899.


There have lately been contradictory rumours relative to the construction of the proposed light railway along the foreshore from Carnarvon to Dinas Dinlle, but we are informed upon trustworthy authority that up to the present nothing has been definitely settled. A number of town councillors went to survey the route the other day. Some of them managed to cross the Gwyrfai on a plank; but the heavier and more cautious would not venture. Eventually a cart was requisitioned from a neighbouring farm, and they crossed in safety.

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: October 13th. 1899.


Messrs. E. Hughes and Co., of the Cambrian Works, will show the same selection of paints, colours, varnishes, oils, and painter's requisites, for which they received such high praise at the Birmingham Exhibition.

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: October 13th. 1899.


An official inspection of the Home has been lately made, and the inspector reports as follows:- "The children are most bright and happy, and seem very healthy. The Home is kept in excellent order, and scrupulously clean, and reflects great credit on those in charge.

Advert for H. Owen. C.D.H. 6th. January, 1899.  K. Morris
Advert for H. Owen. C.D.H. 6th. January, 1899.
K. Morris

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: October 20th. 1899.


Owing to the mobilisation of the Army Reserve about ten men from Carnarvon left on Monday to join their respective regiments. There has been in the town considerable comment that some public function was not organised to give these gallant fellows a hearty send off. An old soldier remarked to our correspondent the other day that "Carnarvon people were ready enough to cry 'war' when jingoes like Mr. Ellis Jones Griffith and Mr. Brynmor Jones came to make mischief, but they took jolly good care that their own hides were safe from being riddled, and they showed no sympathy for the poor fellows who had to fight their battles for them and perhaps spill their blood in an unjust struggle."

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: October 20th. 1899.


The followng have been called up with their respective regiments in the war in the Transvaal:- Messrs. A. White and D. Jones, 2nd. Dragoon (Royal Scots Greys); R. Roberts, W. Pritchard, D. Jones, D. Lewis, J. Lewis, and C. Owen, Royal Welch Fusiliers; and John Thomas, Somersetshire Light Infantry. The last served in the Indian Frontier War, took part in the storming of Dargai, for which he received medal and clasp. Mr. White, son of Mr, White, Marine-terrace, Waterloo Port, who was an employee of the Patent Shaft Company, Wednesbury, was given a send off at the Great Western Hotel, Wednesbury, last week, on the ocassion of his leaving the town to join his regiment. Mr. White was a corporal in the regiment prior to going on the reserve list, and now he has been re-called he will resume his old position. The gathering was of a most enthusiastic character.

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: October 27th. 1899.


Mr. Caradoc Rowland, bookseller, of this town, has been presented with the volunteer long service medal.

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: October 27th. 1899.


An accident of a serious nature occurred at the Union Foundry on Wednesday morning. A man, named Harold Crossfield, of Oldham, worked at the moulder's shed, and about half-past ten an iron bar fell from above upon his head, felling him to the ground. Some men ran to him at once, and found him very much injured, and his brain protruding from his skull. He was immediately taken to the Cottage Hospital, and attended by Dr. Lloyd Roberts, who found that the man had sustained a compound fracture of the skull, and entertained but faint hopes of his recovery. Crossfield is about 30 years of age, lodging at Gelert-street. He only came to Carnarvon three weeks ago. - An inquest was formally opened on Friday morning, by Mr. J. H. Bodvel-Roberts, the county coroner. Evidence of identification having been given, the inquest was adjourned until Monday, in order that the Government inspector may be present.

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: November 3rd. 1899.



Mr. J. H. Bodvel-Roberts, on Monday, resumed the inquiry into the causes of the death of Harold Crossfield, who received fatal injuries whilst at work at the Union Foundry on the previous Wednesday. - Mr. J. Hillditch, inspector of Factories, was present. Mr. Richard Roberts, solicitor, appeared on behalf of Messrs. De Winton and Co., Mr. H. Lloyd Carter on behalf of the Insurance Society, and Mr. T. W. Henwood on behalf of the deceased's relatives. - Mr. John Ethall was foreman of the jury.

Advert for James Macklin. C.D.H. 6th. January, 1899.  K. Morris
Advert for James Macklin. C.D.H. 6th. January, 1899.
K. Morris

Stanley Cabberton, a foreman moulder, said that on the morning of the 25th., the deceased sat down on the train. Witness was close by, and his attention was drawn by somebody shouting "Heigh up." A man, named Harris, who was standing on the crane, quite above Crossfield, had shouted. The crane was not in motion. Witness looked up and saw a bar dropping. It was about two and a half feet long and four inches in diameter, and it fell upon the deceased's head upright. Crossfield, who was in a sitting position, fell on one side. Blood spurted from the wound, which was a very deep one. Deceased became unconscious at once, and he was immediately removed to the Cottage Hospital, and witness left before a doctor arrived. Witness could not say whether anyone was handling the bar, nor where it rested. He had not seen the bar used at the place before, but it was a tool generally used by the workmen below the crane. It should not be on the crane, but he could give no reason why, but there was no reason why it should not be there if anyone wanted it. - By Mr. Hillditch: The bar produced was the bar that fell. It was generally used for pinching. It fell from between the girders above and not from the platform. - By Mr. Carter: The bar was generally called a crow bar. - By Mr. Henwood: The bar was not required to propel the crane if it went alright, but if anything was necessary it might be sent up by orders. Witness had not given orders for it to be taken up, but there was no rule against it. He had previously told Harris (the crane driver) not to take any tools up on the crane, but if anything got wrong he might put it right if he could. He might use any tool, and if anything went wrong with the crane, and he took up the bar, it would not be a great fault to take it up. He had seen Harris do some repairs to the crane, and the repairs would be carried on whilst the men were at work underneath. - In reply to Mr. Hillditch the witness thought there was no great danger to the men working below if sufficient care was taken. Harris had been in the foundry for two months.

Advert for Henry Jonathan. C.D.H. 6th. January, 1899.  K. Morris
Advert for Henry Jonathan. C.D.H. 6th. January, 1899.
K. Morris

William Henry Harris, the crane driver, after having been cautioned by the coroner, swore that his duty was to drive the machine crane at the moulders' shed. He had been an engine driver at Talysarn Quarry, but he had not been in the foundry only six weeks. On the day of the accident the crane would be at work until 10.45 a.m., when the accident occurred. It had been stationary for ten minutes before the accident occurred, because some men were working on the cove which hung from the crane, the deceased being one of them. Witness generally sat in a suspended cage, but he had left the cage and gone towards the crane. He was on top of the crane when the accident happened, and above the deceased. He noticed that two cog wheels were too near each other, and he took the bar in his hand and put it to the handle on top of the lever. He tried to put a screw in, and the bar fell from his hand accidentally. He shouted out and looked below. He saw the bar fast in the deceased's head. - In reply to Mr. Hillditch, witness said he could not say who had taken the bar, but he used it occasionally. There was no danger of the bar falling down when the crane travelled. It had been there for several days, and anyone who was on the top might see it. He required the bar whenever he wished to move the engine from "fast" to "slow." - By Mr. Roberts: He was positive that the bar was quite safe where it rested when not in use. - By Mr. Henwood: He had not seen the crane out of repair.

Thomas Beaumont was the next witness called (at the request of Mr. Henwood). He said he was a fitter, and on Monday, previous to the accident, he found the pinion wheel was not in gear, and the last witness told him it had not been in proper gear for some time. He put the wheel in its place and fastened it as it ought to be. He examined all the keys, and satisfied himself that the crane was in good order. He could not see why Harris needed the bar. - Harris (interrupting) said he had to pinch the cogs. - Witness then said he had not understood his evidence, and Harris having explained, the witness said he could not move the wheels without the bar.

The Coroner, in summing up, said that the man Harris gave his evidence very clearly. There might be some other questions to be discussed in another court, but that did not concern them. Of course, all men at work with others had to be careful, but accidents would happen. Before a man could be made liable for manslaughter, gross negligence must be proved, and it would be against commonsense to suggest anything of the kind in this case. Mr. Hillditch, who was an expert on these matters, did not suggest that anyone was to blame, and if it was a crime for a man to make a mistake, why they would all be clapped into prison.

The jury brought in a verdict of "Accidental death," with a rider that in future persons using a bar on the crane should caution those below.

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: November 10th. 1899.


At the request of Mr. W. G. Thomas, the chairman of the school board, a collection was made at the various departments of the Board Schools, on Monday, towards relieving the distress among the wives and families of soldiers called to the front. Nearly all the children contributed a penny each.

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: November 24th. 1899.


Sometime last year, the corporation decided to alter and improve the Guild Hall. The work was partly done, and we now find that the remaining part of the work is to be taken in hand.

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: November 24th. 1899.


This new building is rapidly approaching completion, and will be opened early in the new year. The Carnarvon Corporation are inviting tenders for the erection of the boundary wall, which, we take it, will complete the work.

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: December 1st. 1899.


On Saturday night, the electric light was duly installed by Messrs. Brymer and Davies as an illuminant, and proved to be a distinct success. The innovation gave quite a lively appearance to Bridge-street.

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: December 1st. 1899.


The date for the official opening of the Aber Bridge has not yet been fixed, but there was a trial swing on Wednesday afternoon. The length of the bridge is about 80 yards, and its width 80 feet, whilst the weight of the ironwork is about 100 tons.

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: December 1st. 1899.


About midnight on Wednesday an outbreak of fire was discovered by Mr. E. Lloyd Williams, bookseller, to have occurred in the marine and general stores, occupied by Mr. R. Roberts, Bank-quay. He immediately gave the alarm to Mr. D. Parry, at the Guild Hall, who called up the fire brigade. After some difficulty, the conflagration was got under and the fire was prevented from taking hold of the cycle stores above. The contents of the marine stores were completely destroyed and a large quantity of rare and valuable books were burnt.

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: December 8th. 1899.


Messrs. H. Owen and Son, timber merchants, etc., Bank-quay, have, on their own initiative, reduced the hours of their workmen, who now cease work at 5.30 each day instead of 6.

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: December 8th. 1899.


On Tuesday, a stable kept by Mr. John Jones, carrier, Margaret-street, was discovered to be on fire. The fire brigade were summoned, but before the flames were extinguished a haystack was completely destroyed.

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: December 8th. 1899.


The hairdressers of the town have formed a union, under the presidency of Mr. D. P. Ellis, Palace-street, and as a result, commencing from the first of January, there will be an increase all round in the prices for shaving and haircutting. It would be quite as well if the union resolved to abolish the practice of hair cutting on Saturdays altogether.

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: December 15th. 1899.


We understand that Messrs. C. E. Jones and Co., Bangor-street, are sending 1100 ounces of Carnarvon tobacco for distribution among the soldiers of the 23rd. Regiment (R.W.F.), in South Africa.

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: December 15th. 1899.


Early on Tuesday morning, whilst a gale of wind was blowing, one of the turrets above the Guild Hall broke, and fell, together will a cast iron ornament, which was on top, to the road below. Some men who were passing at the time had a narrow escape.

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: December 15th. 1899.


On Thursday afternoon, a football match was played between the Ironopolis team and "Dan Leno's Eleven," dressed in comic costumes. Mr. S. W. Parnham was the referee, and the match resulted in a victory for Dan Leno's team by six goals to three. The proceeds, which were devoted towards the war fund, amounted to 3 10s.

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: December 22nd. 1899.


Lance-Corporal Soper (Black Watch), wounded at Magersfontein, has died of his wounds. He was well known in Carnarvon, being an orphan reared up by Mr. John Williams, butcher, Pool-street. Lance-Corporal Soper's father at one time held a post in the Barracks, at Carnarvon, where the deceased was born.

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: December 29th. 1899.


For some days past, the hills around the town have been covered with snow, and on Thursday morning snow fell in Carnarvon, accompanied by a piercing north-easterly wind. The atmosphere became milder during the afternoon, and the snow disappeared.

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: December 29th. 1899.


The corporation workmen, under the superintendence of Mr. Hall, the surveyor, have, during the past few days, been relaying the road leading up the dangerous hill from William-street to Mount-pleasant-square. This was a badly-needed improvement and will be much appreciated by the working community who had to use the place frequently.

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: December 29th. 1899.


This scourge prevails to an alarming extent in the town, and during the last week or so, very many cases have been reported. The borough police force received the brunt of the attack, for out of nine men in the town only four were fit for duty.

  © 2003 - 2021 Keith Morris. All rights reserved