The Repository of all Things Historical for the Ancient Welsh Town of Carnarvon

  Castle Square, Carnarvon. Published by Williams & Hughes, Bridge Steet, 1850



What's New


List of Trades






Parish Chest


Caernarfon Ddoe/
Caernarfon's Yesterdays

Contact & Links



From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: January 5th. 1900.


This terrible scourge is spreading in the town, and few families have escaped. It is said that fully 700 cases are being attended to by the medical gentlemen of the town, and the epidemic is by no means of a mild type.

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: January 5th. 1900.


The improvement to the entrance to the Guild Hall has been commenced, and the old entrance in Eastgate-street has already been removed. Its place will be taken by a much more convenient and more ornamental structure.

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: January 5th. 1900.


The new Cottage Hospital is being proceeded with, and the building is rapidly rising. There will be no foundation stone laying, but when the hospital is completed, which it is believed will be about May or June, a formal opening will take place. Mr. C. A. Jones received during the past week a sum of two guineas from the Hon. W. W. Vivian, and a cheque for a similar amount from Alderman D. T. Lake.

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: January 5th. 1900.


Caradoc Rowland's Christmas advert. C.D.H. 14th. December, 1900.  K. Morris
Caradoc Rowland's Christmas advert. C.D.H. 14th. December, 1900. K. Morris

There has for some time past been a very decided condemnation of the attitude of the town council relative to the lighting of the town generally. On all hands loud complaints are heard to the effect that the gas illuminant provided is painfully inadequate, and that the quality thereof is poor. Our representative therefore was sent out to make inquiries, and without troubling about the general complaints made, he straight away went and inquired the reason why the "dim religious light" of the corporation caused people to use irreligious words, and he discovered that the corporation are just completing the laying down of new plant. It is alleged that there is really no impurity in the gas at present supplied, but that it is a little dirty. That means that small particles of tar from the works find their way into the main, and is rushed through to the burners, where, more often than not, it clogs the gauze and gradually diminishes the flame until it reaches vanishing point. When this happy period is reached, all that is required is for the consumer to purchase a new burner and wait for a repetition of the tar process, when the light will reach extinguishing point again. This is all very well from a corporation point of view, but it cannot last, and we are told it will not be allowed to last, for new plants are being laid, and close upon 4000 is to be spent immediately in carrying out the necessary improvements in the shape of new purifiers, new engines, and station metres. There will also be an alteration of the condensers and a new telescopic gasholder will be put up, so that some time in the twentieth century we may hope - unless electricity has superceded gas - to have a tolerably convenient light at night. At present, about 120,000 cubic feet of gas are consumed every day, and last year the total exceeded 25,000,000. When the new holders have been put up more gas and cleaner gas can be supplied.

We find that gas for domestic purposes, that is for cooking and heating purposes, is being well taken up, but that, though it greatly increases the amount of gas supplied, it does not detract from the illuminant. The condition of the mains in the town is said to be good, and as proof of that, it is stated that last year a good few were taken out and found to be in prefect order. Neither are there any leakages so far as can be ascertained, or at any rate, nothing to speak of, so that very little gas is wasted. The new gasholder is not expected to arrive before March. Therefore, it is claimed that, taking everything into consideration, there are hopes that the present state of affairs caused by insufficient condensation and purification will be done away with when the new plant is properly in use.

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: January 19th. 1900.


Last week, Sergeant Hancock, of Carnarvon, received a medal from the Canadian Government as a memento of the Red River Expedition, in which he was engaged in 1866. This is, perhaps, the only one of those unique medals sent to Wales, and it will be highly prized, for this is the first occasion for the colonial medal to be awarded.

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: January 19th. 1900.


With the exception of the influenza and scarlet fever epidemics, which recently raged here, the town has been remarkably free from infectious diseases, and no case has been notified since September. The total deaths during the last year numbered 214, as against 221 the previous year, being about 22 per thousand of the whole population - a remarkably low death-rate for the whole year.

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: January 19th. 1900.


During the week, several letters have arrived in Carnarvon from the seat of war, describing the first battle of the Tugela. One soldier sent a copy of the "Natal Times" (special edition), which was exhibited in the shop window of Mr. J. R. Pritchard, in Bridge-street, on Wednesday night, and attracted considerable attention. There is some talk of giving a general half-holiday in the town on Monday next, when local volunteers, whose services have been accepted for the front, leave Carnarvon for Wrexham.

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: January 19th. 1900.


At the Carnarvon Borough Petty Sessions, on Monday, before Alderman W. J. Williams (Mayor), and other magistrates, Selina Pugh was fined 10s. and costs for drunkenness. - Evidence was given to the effect that the defendant was brought to the police station in a dying condition, suffering from the effects of drink and laudanum. - The Mayor stated that it has come to his knowledge that some chemists in the town sold laudanum to women such as these on Sunday nights especially. This woman had been in imminent peril of her life, and had it not been for the exertions of Dr. Evans and Superintendent Rowland, who were with her for two hours, the probability was that she would not have lived. The practice of selling laudanum, except by medical advice, was fraught with much danger, and he hoped the chemists of the town would take warning.

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: January 19th. 1900.


Cadwaladr Williams's Christmas advert. C.D.H. 14th. December, 1900.  K. Morris
Cadwaladr Williams's Christmas advert. C.D.H. 14th. December, 1900. K. Morris

Sir, - From the minutes of the Ferry Committee read at the last meeting of the Carnarvon Town Council, it appeared that "there had been a little difficulty with the machinery, but this had been overcome," and it was asked if it was "true that the engine was too weak." The reply given by the chairman of the committee was: "I am not aware that the engine is too weak. It is more or less an experiment to apply a gas engine to work a swing bridge. The gas engine is to work at 240 revolutions per minute, but the cog-wheels are rather small, and one or two teeth gave way. Then it appears that the engine was a little too weak, and it had to be humoured in order to give it a fair chance. The whole thing has now been overcome by having a larger driving wheel. Unfortunately, before that was done one or two cogs had given way, and those had to be replaced; but I believe the thing has been got to work now, and everything will be all right." That reply seems to have satisfied the council, for the report was adopted. Will it satisfy ratepayers with a knowledge of mechanics? I think not. Let us analyse the reply. First, we have the mouthpiece of the committee stating that he is "not aware that the engine is too weak;" then, a few moments after, that it "appears that the engine was a little too weak." That is to say, that although it appeared "that the engine was a little too weak," he was "not aware that the engine was too weak." What did he mean? Anyhow, whatever he meant, one thing is patent - the engine was strong enough to smash the driving gear, or the "one or two teeth" would not have gone, and a larger driving wheel have to be substituted. Whether "everything will be all right" remains to be seen; but if machinery gives way in a fair-weather test, or even performs its functions by being "humoured," what may we expect when the bridge has to be swung in the face of an equinoctial gale, when there will be a terrific wind resistance to the long length spanning the Aber? To my mind, the machinery should be powerful enough to work the bridge in the face of the fiercest gale (and there should be a margin of power even then) before the bridge is opened to the public; for it will never do to have the bridge closed to them, waiting for a storm to pass away, at a time when it will be most useful. The sooner "experiments" are brought to a close, and the ratepayers have "a fair chance" of crossing, the better it will be for those who have to

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: January 26th. 1900.


At a special police court, held on Tuesday morning, before W. Hamer, Esq., a man, named Evan Evans, shoemaker, was brought up on a charge of being drunk in South-road. This was the defendant's eighty-first appearance, and he was fined 10s. and costs, or a month's imprisonment, the punishment not to be enforced if the defendant went into the workhouse.

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: January 26th. 1900.


There have recently been several impudent and mean robberies in the town and district of funds collected towards the Lifeboat Institution. In some instances the boat-shaped tins which contain the money have been carried bodily away, and in others the lids have been forced open, as was the case of the Carnarvon Social Club, the last of these thefts, which was discovered on Tuesday morning, when it is believed about twelve shillings was abstracted. The sum of sevenpence halfpenny was left in the box. The matter has been placed in the hands of the police.

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: February 2nd. 1900.


During the past week the relatives of soldiers at the front have received quite a number of mementoes of the war. One was a beautiful native shawl, another a Transvaal shilling, and another a piece of the bridge across the Tugela at Colenso.

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: February 2nd. 1900.


Amongst those who are recommended by General Buller for the distinguished service medals for bravery at the Battle of Colenso is John Williams, of Hendre-street, Henwalia. He belonged to the 66th. Battery Royal Field Artillery, and only joined the army a year ago. He had been a groom in Carnarvon previously and was well known among farmers owing to his cleverness in breaking in horses. He wrote home a few days before Christmas and said that he was uninjured but had two bullets through his helmet and had four horses shot under him.

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: February 9th. 1900.


On Monday evening, at the Y.M.C.A. Rooms, a lantern lecture was given by Mr. W. Gwenlyn Evans on the above subject. Mr. T. W. Henwood occupied the chair.

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: February 16th. 1900.


We understand that it has been decided to formally open the Aber Ferry Bridge on the 1st. of March. The ceremony will be performed by the Mayor.

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: February 16th. 1900.


The Carnarvon Intermediate School has been completed, and it is hoped that before many weeks have passed it will have also been furnished. In addition to the usual laboratories there will be a museum in connection with the school, and it is not at all improbable that it will be opened when the Welsh Central Board visits Carnarvon.

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: February 16th. 1900.


Dowell of Eastgate Street's Christmas advert. C.D.H. 14th. December, 1900.  K. Morris
Dowell of Eastgate Street's Christmas advert. C.D.H. 14th. December, 1900. K. Morris

Private W. Pritchard, "G" Company R.W.F. Field Force, writing from the front to his brother, Mr. H. Pritchard, 24, Uxbridge-street, Carnarvon, says - "We have been for nights now without blankets, and many a night we have slept without tents or anything to cover us. The country is very hot, but we have plenty of thunderstorms. I suppose you have heard by this of all the fighting which we have been having around Colenso. We did a very heavy march from Mooi River to Estcourt during the night, a distance of 22 miles, with no water for the first 11 miles, and 200 rounds of ammunition to carry from Estcourt, we marched to Frere, and from there to this place (Chieveley). The day of the battle of Colenso was a big day, we left camp at 3 a.m. and marched towards the hills where the enemy were entrenched. As day was breaking our batteries opened a heavy fire on their trenches with lyddite shells. Our brigade was on the right, under General Barton. We were lucky enough to get away with three casualties, but a lot lost their lives in trying to cross the river. All the Boers are mounted, and most of them have two horses each. We were close to the artillery when Lord Roberts' son got killed. His grave is very close to our camp. We have had two or three other fights with them since, but not so big. Monday, 15th., we were on escort to the naval guns, and left camp during the night, just at break of day, our guns got in action and shelled them all morning. At 2.30 p.m. we made an attack on them with a battery of artillery and cavalry. We got close to them when our guns kept dropping shells into their trenches which soon shifted them, and as they came out, we sent volleys into them, and our maxim also kept up a heavy fire. We retired after clearing the trenches back to camp, a five mile march, and to make it worse, it started to rain. We have a lot of outpost duty to do here, out from 8 a.m. to 5.30 a.m. the next day, to keep on the look-out for the enemy. Water is very scarce here, and it is against orders to drink it, as it causes a lot of sickness."

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: February 23rd. 1900.


Several of the tins of chocolate which the Queen sent to her soldiers at the seat of war have been sent home by soldiers from Carnarvon to their friends and relatives. One of them was registered at the Post-office as being worth 100! It is said that gentlemen in South Africa offered 3 for the empty tins.

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: February 23rd. 1900.


Among a list of casualties received from the front during the week, the names appear of Private R. C. Roberts, of the Welch Fusiliers, who was wounded in the attack on Hussar Hill, and Private David Jones, of the Scots Greys, who had been among the besieged at Kimberley, and received his injuries during the relief operations.

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: February 23rd. 1900.


At a special police court on Friday, before the Mayor and other magistrates, W. Roberts and Robert Jones, Crown-street, were charged with stealing coal from the railway station yard from a lory belonging to Mr. Thomas Jones, coal merchant, Carnarvon. - Evidence was given by Richard Bohanna, signalman in the service of the railway company, P.S. Owen and P.C. 21. - Defendants denied the charge, and urged that they were never in the coal-yard in question. - Defendants were sent to prison for fourteen days each.

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: March 2nd. 1900.


There was great rejoicing at Carnarvon on the receipt of the news of the relief of Ladysmith. Flags were profusely displayed, and bells were rung - one of them being of such doleful tune that some persons were tempted to remark that there must be sorrow as well as rejoicing in town. In the evening the band played through the streets, which were crowded with people, and there was loud cheering and other signs of enthusiasm late into the night.

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: March 2nd. 1900.


The formal opening of the Aber Bridge took place on Thursday, in the presence of many hundreds of the townspeople. At one o'clock, at the Sportsman Hotel, a luncheon to the corporation was given by Mr. C. Wawn, M.Inst. C.E., the designer and superintending engineer, who presided. Amongst those present were the following:- The Mayor (Alderman W. J. Williams), Aldermen John Williams, Norman Davies, Edward Hughes, D. T. Lake, and J. P. Gregory, Councillors John Pritchard, Griffith Owen, Richard Thomas, J. T. Roberts, Dr. Parry, Edward Parry, R. E. Owen, W. Hamer, J. Fletcher, Thomas Hughes, and J. Davies; Messrs. H. Lloyd Carter, W. Bowen Jones, J. Dillon, T. Williams, E. Hall (surveyor), J. Bodvel-Roberts (town clerk), J. Menzies, J. Issard Davies, Hugh Jones, Henry Owen, J. R. Pritchard, Revs. Father Jones and Evan Jones, Col. Ruck, Dr. Fraser, Col. Rees.

The tables, which were admirably laid, having been cleared, Mr. Wawn, who was greeted with loud cheers, proposed the toast of "The Queen," which was enthusiastically honoured.

Edward Noble's purity certificate. C.D.H. 14th. December, 1900.  K. Morris
Edward Noble's purity certificate. C.D.H. 14th. December, 1900. K. Morris

Mr. Wawn then proposed "The prosperity of the town of Carnarvon and of the new swing bridge." In doing so he said that whilst congratulating the mayor and corporation generally on the completion of the bridge, he was bound to admit that for his own part he was rather sorry that it was finished. It had afforded him an interesting occupation for the last two years; and now, when it was all done, he was about to be resolved into a common half-penny passenger. Nothing escaped criticism now-a-days, nor was it desirable that it should, and this little bridge had no claim to be exempt any more than its larger brethren. It was not generally considered prudent to give reasons, but there were exceptions to all rules; and he should like to take that opportunity of referring to one or two points in connection with the design about which he had heard a good deal of friendly criticism. He had no intention of entering into any controversy, but if the whole thing be wrong from beginning to end, as one candid friend seemed to imply, they would see that there was, at least, some little method and reason in the wrongness of it. Take the position of the bridge, about which he had heard a good deal. If there were nothing to consider but the bridge itself, and the traffic over it, the position which would naturally suggest itself would be in line with Castle-ditch and across to a point well to the north of the Ferry House. If there were no ships and no need to make the bridge to open, this would be an ideal position and the bridge would be a very simple affair. But they could not have this beautiful simplicity. They had a navigable river to deal with - a little seaport - and any bridge over the entrance must be made to open, in order that vessels might pass in and out, as they had been accustomed to do from time immemorial. The entrance to the river was to a certain extent funnel-shaped. He did not mean to say that the low-water channel was funnel-shaped, but he thought the term might fairly be applied to the surface of the water over which vessels passed in entering the harbour; coming from Bangor and the dock, on the one side, and from Aber Menai on the other. It would be poor engineering to place an opening bridge over the broad end of the funnel, instead of the narrow end. A much wider opening would be required, and at a very much greater cost. Vessels could not come straight in on account of the sandbank, and they would have been obliged to change direction when actually between the piers of the bridge - an undesirable operation, to say the least of it. Again, as a minor matter, but still of considerable importance, the swing was better protected from wind where it was than it would have been further out in the Strait. Even now, as was proved recently, it was not quite so well protected as one would wish. All considered, he was satisfied that the position in which they had placed the bridge was the best which could have been selected; next to the site near the Harbour Office, which he should have preferred. As the bridge was not in line with the street, it was necessary to turn a corner to get on to it. At the Carnarvon end there was ample space. At Coed Helen, there was enough, and not too much. The bridge was placed as close to the deep water channel as they could very well go; and after that, the question with him was - "Shall I spoil the design of my bridge by making the tail-end too short, or shall I trust to getting a few feet more land to improve the approach?" This did not take long to decide. To have shortened the end of the bridge would have been an irrepairable blunder, but to get over that little hedge did not appear to be impossible. He was even sanguine enough to believe that the Squire, when he came to appreciate the convenience of the bridge would, with his well-known liberality, voluntarily set back his fence a few feet. This was, of course, before all the bother about the ferry rights. But it was only delayed. He had no doubt but that when the hatchet had been buried, and the feelings engendered by the late friction had had time to abate, the matter would settle itself without further difficulty even if the little hedge had in the meanwhile been replaced by a little wall, he had great faith in the triumph of common sense in the long run. Meanwhile, there was plenty of room to turn, with ordinary care; but another ten feet, at the end of the bridge, would be a great improvement. As to the colour the bridge had been painted. He prayed them not to call it yellow. It was what the books called stone-colour. The object was to get a light colour of some kind, in order that the action of the sun, which would have the effect of depressing the ends of the swing, might be reduced as much as possible. White would have been best, of course, only that it showed the dirt so easily. There had been some little difficulty with the gas engine, or rather with the machinery in connection with it, but it was working fairly well, and he hoped it would give no further trouble. This was a most unfortunate size of bridge - too big to be turned by manual power within a reasonable time, and yet not big enough to justify a plant of hydraulic machinery, which was certainly the best known power for moving a bridge. It gave a steady drag which might be either quick or so slow as to be scarcely perceptible. But in this case it would have been too expensive a luxury, requiring an engine of some sort to pump the water and probably another man to look after it. The next thought was a little steam engine on the top, but then they should have had smoke and steam, coals, ashes, and dirt about the place. Eliminating other means, the gas engine appeared to remain as the survival of the fittest, although so far as his experience went, it was the first time it had been used for such a purpose. There was one other consideration in its favour. The machinery could be, and had been so designed, that if they ever had electric power in Carnarvon, there should be no difficulty in substituting an electric motor for the present engine. There was one point in connection with the work peculiarly gratifying to him personally, and he had no doubt it would be equally so to all of them. It had been carried on from first to last not only without any serious accident, but with scarcely so much as the proverbial jammed finger. So much for skill and care on the part of the contractors. Without going deeply into financial matters, he felt that it must be a satisfaction to all ratepayers to reflect that a large proportion of the money paid to Messrs. Cochrane was spent in the town. They employed local labour almost exclusively, and with the exception of the ironwork, he believed nearly all the materials were bought in the town - timber, cement, paint, and a host of other things. This suggested another idea. He had observed that there was a good deal of human nature in contractors, and however great might be the love which Messrs. Cochrane entertained for the good old town, he very much doubted whether they would have bought all this material there, if they could have made better terms elsewhere. This, he thought, showed that their local traders had both energy and enterprise, and were able to hold their own against outside competition. He asked them to drink to the town and trade of Carnarvon, and the new bridge, and coupled this with the names of his Worship the Mayor, the chairman of the bridge committee (Mr. J. T. Roberts), and the ex-Mayor (Dr. Parry), during whose reign most of the work in connection with the bridge scheme had to be encountered (loud applause).

The toast was enthusiastically honoured, and the Mayor in responding, said that the general opinion of people in the country around was that things could be had which were both good and cheap at Carnarvon (hear, hear). It was their duty to preserve the reputation of their town in that respect, and not to let their prosperity dwindle away (hear, hear). That depended upon their energy, and he hoped and trusted they would do their best to enhance the prosperity (applause).

Mr. J. T. Roberts said that he was very glad himself that the bridge was an accomplished fact. It was the dream of his childhood, and that also of many others who had gone before they had the pleasure of seeing the bridge across the river. It was a very convenient and substantial bridge. He did not expect it to be a great financial success at once, but he believed that they would not have to live any years before they would see that this was the best investment Carnarvon had ever made (cheers).

Dr. Parry said that he was also glad that the bridge was at last an accomplished fact. He would not like to prophesy what would be its success, but if they only exercised patience, he believed that they would have, not only a moral, but also a commercial asset in the new bridge (applause). No one could doubt the prosperity of Carnarvon. In addition to the bridge, the town council had decided upon a very extensive scheme of town improvement, and this showed that the council had the courage of their opinions that the town was prosperous, and that the prosperity was going to continue (applause).

Mr. J. R. Pritchard, in moving the toast of the contractors, referred to the services of Mr. Wawn, who had placed at their disposal his practical knowledge of other such engineering works in different parts of the world, and without that, they would never have had the splendid bridge which they now possessed (hear, hear). Mr. Wawn had been careful even with regard to the colour of the bridge. If he had painted it blue, that would not have done at all (laughter), and if he had painted it yellow, that would not have done (laughter). But he had painted it khaki (laughter). They believed in that colour; it was a colour which united the people of the United Kingdom (laughter and cheers). He asked them to drink the health and prosperity of the contractors and Mr. Wawn.

The toast having been honoured, Mr. Wawn briefly responded, and the company separated.

At three o'clock, a procession was formed at the Town Hall, consisting of the Mayor and corporation, the corporation officials, the fire brigade, and the general public, numbering many hundreds. During the progress of the procession, a sad accident occurred, a man and a woman and several young children being knocked down by a runaway horse. This interfered to a degree with the proceedings, and Mr. J. T. Roberts, whose little boy it was feared at the time, had been hurt, desired to be excused from speaking, and called upon Mr. Menzies, the chairman of the Harbour Trust.

Henry Owen's Christmas advert. C.D.H. 14th. December, 1900.  K. Morris
Henry Owen's Christmas advert. C.D.H. 14th. December, 1900. K. Morris

Mr. Menzies said that he presumed that the official position he happened to occupy at the moment, namely, that of chairman of that somewhat antiquated and much criticised body the Harbout Trust (laughter), was responsible for his being called upon to take a somewhat prominent part in the historical proceedings of the day, and although he appreciated to the full the high compliment which had thereby been conferred upon him, he could not help regretting that the honour should have fallen into such incapable hands. Speaking on behalf of the members of the Trust, he desired, in the first place, to offer their heartiest congratulations to the mayor and corporation upon the successful issue to which this great undertaking had been brought, and at the same time to express the sincere hope that it might prove to be a premanent benefit to the town and neighbourhood. He feared that in comparison with their sister boroughs in the county, they had been somewhat backward in the development and opening up of the natural resources of their beloved old town, and when they came to think of the historical interest attached to it, and the many opportunities which it afforded for private and public enterprise, he thought they would agree with him that it was but right to them to look upon that function as being the beginning of many steps forward in a determined effort to keep abreast of their neighbours. In order that this might be accomplished it was essential that all public bodies should work together, and he knew he was expressing the feelings of his fellow members on the Trust when he said they were always willing to co-operate with the town council or any other body in working for the public good. He might remind them that it was the Harbour Trust that first brought forward the question of the bridge in a practical form. They had plans prepared by Mr. Wawn, they sent a deputation to the Squire of Coedhelen, and although they approached him with a feeling that he was not likely to help them they met with the greatest courtesy, and were assured of his anxiety to do everything in his power to forward the interests of the town. They returned from Coedhelen with a promise that if a suitable plan of a bridge was submitted to him, he would raise no difficulty to the scheme being carried out. The Trustees subsequently found that they had no power to build the bridge themsleves, and the scheme was taken up by the council, which was now an accomplished fact. He thought they deserved every credit for the public spirit they had shown, and there could be no question that the bridge would be a great boon and attraction to Carnarvon, and would shortly prove to be a financial success (applause).

The Mayor said it was his privilege to be there, on behalf of the corporation to open the bridge (cheers). Before saying anything further, he wished to express his sympathy with the little children and others, who had met with an accident a few minutes' before (hear, hear). That bridge was a very ancient bridge in the imagination of many Carnarvon people. It had been conceived in the minds of many, he might say, ages ago. It seems that the Harbour Trust had thought about it, but that was all, and with thinking only they would never have had the bridge (laughter). The town council had gone a step further, and with the assistance of the Harbour Trust and others, they had constructed the bridge. He believed it would be a great boon to the town and the inhabitants generally, and they did not know in what different forms it might be paid for. The ratepayers would have to contribute, and contribute handsomely, but he believed, personally, that it would be a boon and a paying concern in the time of many who stood before him, and perhaps in his own - he did not say it would not. There were a great many things to make it pay. One was to have a proper road over the Aber - (applause) - with forms and benches to ease themselves upon after the exertion of crossing the bridge (laughter). They must try to get the Narrow Guage Railway brought down from Dinas to Carnarvon (applause). He believed they ought to appeal to the district councils of that part of the county to get the road he had mentioned carried further, so that they would have a drive from the bridge to Pontfaen, and through Bontnewydd back again (cheers). He was not loth to believe that they would not see a train from there to Dinas Dinlle some day (cheers). That would be a great benefit to the inhabitants. He had a great pleasure in declaring the bridge open for the public (applause).

The mayor and corporation then crossed the bridge, and the ceremony was over.

The bridge was left open for passengers to cross and re-cross free of charge up to five o'clock, and thousands of people availed themselves of the opportunity to inspect the structure.


The harbour mouth from Eagle Tower of the Castle to the opposite shore is some 250 feet in width; at low water, it is dry except for the small Seiont stream which runs along the centre. Two wooden fender wharves have been constructed in the channel at right angles to the stream, and between them vessels entering or leaving the Seiont estuary now pass. The fender work, which is inteded, of course, partly to guide and partly to protect craft from injury, consists of timber piling well braced together. The opening between the wharves is 85 feet clear, and this is the space spanned by the swinging portion of the bridge. From the Eagle Tower bank to the first fender work a fixed girder bridge has been constructed of two spans, altogether 90 feet long. The swinging span rests when the bridge is open above the fender work on the other side, and when the bridge is closed, it stretches from the end of the fixed portion to the masonry approach on the Coedhelen shore. It is carried on screw piles composed of solid steel bars six inches in diameter screwed into the river bed down to the rock beneath. The rock was found to shelve considerably, and the depth to which the piles had to be driven varied from 40 feet to less than 30 feet below high water mark. The piles, strongly braced to resist strain in all directions, form a circle of twelve, with one in the centre, and at the top is a circular girder supporting the pivot and turntable. Only the ordinary traffic of the district being intended to use the bridge the superstructure has been made as light as possible. It consists of a graceful tapered girder, with diagonal bracings, 155 feet in length, balanced and resting upon steel rollers on the turntable. The girder is pivoted 101 feet from the end which swings over the fairway, this length sufficing to span the 85 feet gap between the timber piling, while the shorter end which reaches the masonry approach on the Coedhelen side is 54 feet long. Equilibrium is maintained partly by the additional breadth of the girder at this end, and by a counterbalance of thirty tons of pig iron. On a platform above the turntable has been constructed a "round house" with conical roof, and in this little structure, the machinery for turning the bridge is placed. A two-horse power Crossley gas engine operates a vertical shaft engaging a rack placed on the framework of the rollers, instead of on the circular path on which they travel. This is the sixth bridge to the gearing mechanism of which the idea has been applied, one of the others being at Castletown, Isle of Man, and the others being in India, China, and South America. The advantages of the arrangement include a saving of parts and an acceleration of speed in operation. Provision is made for using hand power in case of any breakdown of the machinery. The masonry on both sides is a tooled limestone, the dressing being in harmony with the Castle. On the town side, a small castellated toll-house has been built, but more for ornamental effect than anything else. The roadway over the bridge is only intended for one vehicle, and is seven feet nine inches wide, with a two feet six inches footway on either side. The road and footways are of creosoted pitchpine, with a wearing surface of oak two inches thick.

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: March 2nd. 1900.



As the procession in connection with the opening of the Aber Bridge was proceeding through Castle-square, on its way towards the bridge, an accident, which might have resulted most seriously, occurred. At Castle Ditch a team of horses and a cart were proceeding towards Shirehall-street. At the sound of the band, it is surmised, the leader of the team took fright and turned right round, rushing into the procession, all efforts by the man in charge to stop them being of no avail. The horses gave a turn again and made for Greengate-street, where Mr. J. T. Roberts was able to get hold of the rein and got the chain into the leading horse's mouth, and thus was able to stop their progress. But for this, the accident would undoubtedly have proved fatal to several, as the whole route of the procession was thronged with men, women, and children. However, four little children were severely hurt, viz.: Isaac and Polly Goldman, two little children of Mr. Goldman, Pepper-lane, the little boy suffering from fracture of the thigh bone, and the little girl from fracture of the skull; a little boy of Mr. Roberts, Greengate-street, suffers from internal wounds; and the little girl of Mr. Kortigas, 23, North-pen'rallt, received injury to the leg. Many others were shaken and thrown to the ground.

At the Guild Hall, after returning from the bridge, the Mayor having thanked the members of the council for their kind assistance that day, further expressed his heartfelt sympathy with the parents of the children, who, he feared, were badly hurt in the regretful accident that occurred in Castle-square. A vote of sympathy with the little sufferers and their parents was passed by the members present. Later on, the Mayor, and Councillor J. T. Roberts, chairman of the ferry committee, visited the children's homes, and instructed the surveyor and inspector to render every possible assistance to the families by way of removing the children to the Cottage Hospital if found necessary. A brougham was engaged for the purpose.

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: March 9th. 1900.


One of the sons of Colonel Ruck, the popular chief-constable of the county, who has been on active service in Canada has volunteered for the front, and has been accepted.

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: March 9th. 1900.


Among the large number of those who were wounded during the actions to relieve Ladysmith was Private John Lovell, of Tan'rallt, Carnarvon, who was attached to the Royal Welch Fusiliers.

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: March 9th. 1900.


Great activity prevailed among the spirit and tobacco merchants of Carnarvon on Monday, in order to get their goods out of bond before the bringing forward of the Budget. One firm, we are told, paid duty to the amount of 3000.

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: March 9th. 1900.


Driver John Williams, of Carnarvon, who is attached to the 66th. Battery of the Royal Artillery, now in South Africa, is in hospital. During one of the many engagements near the Tugela River, a horse was shot under him. Both horse and rider fell, and the poor animal, in his agonies, bit Williams's arm, and the latter failed to release himself until the unfortunate beast died. The injuries received were not dangerous, but were so serious and painful as to incapacitate the gallant Carnarvonite for a long time.

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: March 16th. 1900.


The Army Order calling up the Carnarvonshire and Merionethshire Militia has just been issued. The recruits will probably assemble at Carnarvon Barracks on the 19th. of March, and the old hands come up on the first of May.

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: March 16th. 1900.


The tides during the past few days have been so low and the bar has risen owing to the accumulation of sand that vessels could not cross, and were in consequence delayed for several days. Such a condition of affairs has not occurred before for about 30 years.

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: March 23rd. 1900.


Another old soldier, Thomas Evans, of Mountain-street, left Carnarvon on Thursday morning for Wrexham, and having passed the medical examination, the same day proceeded to the front. He has already seen twelve years' service, and rejoined in obedience to the Queen's request for old soldiers.

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: March 30th. 1900.


Bandmaster Alex. Corrison has rejoined his old regiment, and has left the town in order to go upon active service at the front.

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: March 30th. 1900.


Out of eight candidates who entered for the Queen's Scholarship Examination from the Carnarvon Board Schools this year, the following four have succesfully passed in the second-class, namely, Mr. John Williams, Assheton-terrace; Miss E. Sallie Williams, High-street Post-office; Miss Katie Williams, and Miss Mary Jones.

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: April 6th. 1900.


On Monday, a jar of vitriol broke accidentally at the Gasworks, and two workmen sustained injuries thereby, one of them being Mr. H. Roberts, the foreman. We are pleased to find, upon inquiry, that the two men are doing as well as can be expected, and their medical attendants anticipate that the result of the accident will not be so serious as was at first feared.

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: April 20th. 1900.


Mr. Thomas Evans, 31, Victoria-street, an ex soldier of the 1st. Batt. Royal Welch Fusiliers, has joined the Royal Reserves at Wrexham.

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: April 20th. 1900.


Mr. Thomas Humphreys, cabinet maker, of this town, has won a prize of four guineas and a silver medal for the best carved oak bardic chair at the Birkenhead Eisteddfod on Easter Monday.

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: April 20th. 1900.


The grocers of the town have decided to close their shops at one o'clock on Thursdays during the summer months, and hopes are entertained that the drapers and other tradesmen will follow such an excellent example.

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: April 20th. 1900.


The new bridge over the Aber Ferry is gaining in popularity, and during the Easter holidays thousands of pleasure-seekers took advantage of the fine weather to sojourn on the promenade along the straits. The official figures of those who crossed on Good Friday and Easter Monday are 3941, as compared with 1426 during the corresponding days of last year. Possibly, the town council will proceed promptly with the improvements on the other side now that the ratepayers try to help them pay for the bridge.

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: April 27th. 1900.



Jones & Miller's Christmas advert. C.D.H. 14th. December, 1900.  K. Morris
Jones & Miller's Christmas advert. C.D.H. 14th. December, 1900. K. Morris

On Saturday afternoon a fire wrought considerable damage in the works of Messrs. Hugh Jones and Co., marble masons, Carnarvon. It originated about two o'clock, in the engine house, and from there spread to adjoining sheds, in which was located a quantity of machinery. These structures were of timber thickly tarred over, and their inflammable character placed them hopelessly at the mercy of the flames, which blazed fiercely, and afterwards spread to the framework of a travelling crane. In one of the sheds there were tanks of oil, which added greatly to the conflagration. Members of the fire brigade arrived on the spot as soon as summoned, and played on the fire with two lengths of hose, but the effect for some time was feeble, owing to the low pressure of water. The fire engine was not brought into use, otherwise the service would have been far more efficient, owing to the proximity of the works to the harbour. The sheds were gutted, but, fortunately, not much harm was done to the office, the books and papers being safely removed. Fortunately, also, the machinery also escaped damage, with one or two exceptions. None of the marble masonry was affected, but several large slates which were being prepared for a Government contract were cracked by the heat. Through the exertions of the fire brigade, assisted by numerous helpers, the fire was got under in about three hours. Part of the damage is covered by insurance, but the loss to Mr. Hugh Jones personally will be nearly a thousand pounds. Loud complaints were made as to the way in which the fire brigade did its work. The members who were present, worked with a will, but there was not sufficient pressure of water owing to the fact that only a small main was tapped. The big main in South-road was not utilised, nor was the fire engine brought into play, the reason given being that it would require 30 men to work it. When there were fully 300 men present, anxious and willing to assist, this can be no excuse for this neglect. But in addition to that it is said that the fire brigade men who worked on the fire were thoroughly disorganised and lacked combination in their work. The verdict of all who witnessed the attempts made to extinguish the fire was that the whole affair was a disgrace to the town; and that the men had not been efficiently trained. The matter will be brought before the next meeting of the town council, when a resolution will be moved by the deputy-mayor, asking for an inquiry into the matter, and a general report upon the efficiency of the fire extinguishing apparatus and the training of the members of the fire brigade.

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: May 4th. 1900.


Twenty-two young men have joined the Rifle Volunteer Corps during the past fortnight. - Private David Jones, of the Scots Greys (son of Mr. Robert Jones, of Llainbupur), who was wounded at the relief of Kimberley, arrived home on Thursday morning. - A demonstration occurred on Monday to welcome home Driver John Williams, about whose gallant conduct at the Battle of Colenso numerous reports have already appeared. He arrived in Southampton a fortnight ago, having been sent home to recover, and reached Carnarvon at ten o'clock on Monday night, having travelled on the Cambrian line. He was received in an open vehicle by Councillor Richard Thomas and Mr. Lloyd Carter. A long torchlight procession with the Artillery Volunteer Band was then formed in front of the vehicle, which was drawn by Naval Reserve men, and having passed through the crowded streets, Williams was safely delivered to his widowed mother, whose gratification was unbounded. He has been recommended for the distinguished service medal.

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: May 11th. 1900.


The old hands of the 4th. Batt. Royal Welch Fusiliers mustered at the Barracks on Friday, and proceeded together with the recruits to Devonport for garrison duty.

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: May 11th. 1900.


Arrangements have been arrived at relative to the water supply at Rhyd-ddu, according to which the Carnarvon Town Council shall contribute two thirds of the expense of draining the village, the remaining third of the cost to fall upon the Gwyrfai and Glaslyn Councils.

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: May 18th. 1900.


Mr. Percy Evans, Cae Spencer, who is with Mr. Robert Roberts, chemist, Bangor-street, has successfully passed the examination of the Pharmaceutical Society.

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: May 18th. 1900.


On Saturday, at a special borough petty sessions, a smartly dressed young girl, named Elizabeth Jones, of Valley, was charged before Alderman W. J. Williams (mayor), with stealing a ring from the shop of Mr. David Parry, watchmaker, Palace-street. The girl was arrested in the Market, by P.C. Owen (18), who found the ring in her boot. She was taken to the police station, where she made a statement, which she afterwards signed. - The prosecutor declined to give evidence, and the case was dismissed.

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: May 18th. 1900.


On Sunday, a new steamer, named "The Lady Belle," owned by Mr. George Farren, arrived at this port from the Clyde. She is commanded by Captain R. Roberts, late of the "Lady Bessie." Her dimensions are as follows:- Length, 140 feet; breadth, 24 feet; depth of hold, --- feet. She is fitted with Friedenthal patent propeller, carries about 350 tons, and is lighted throughout with electricity. She was built by Messrs. John Fullerton and Co., Paisley, and engined by Messrs. Ross and Duncan, Govan, at a cost of about 9000.

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: May 25th. 1900.


During the past few weeks, the Corporation have been busily engaged in repairing this road. A dozen seats have been provided for the convenience of those who cross, and they are much appreciated.

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: May 25th. 1900.


A fisherman named William Heard, 70 years of age, residing with his daughter in Uxbridge-street, fell dead in Castle-square during the rejoicings on Thursday. He had been suffering from heart disease for many years, and had been attended by Dr. Thomas.

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: May 25th. 1900.


On Wednesday morning, Thomas Hughes, plasterer, Pool-street, was summoned before the Mayor to answer a charge of drunkenness. Defendant, who had been previously convicted thirty times, said he had been celebrating the relief of Mafeking. - The Mayor observed that it was a belated celebration, and fined him 5s. and costs.

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: May 25th. 1900.


Private John Lovell, who was wounded in the attack on Hussar Hill, has returned home. He reached Carnarvon with the half-past nine train on Tuesday night, and was warmly welcomed by a number of friends. It is said that two of the local volunteers drafted out have also been invalided home suffering from enteric fever.

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: May 25th. 1900.


At a special meeting of the Gwyrfai District Council held on Saturday, Mr. J. M. Williams, chairman, presiding, it was resolved to spend 1000 on the improvement of the roadway outside the boundary of the borough on the Aber side in order to facilitate the scheme for the construction of a marine parade from Carnarvon to Dinas Dinlle.

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: June 1st. 1900.


While a herd of cattle were being driven through Pool-street, the little four-year-old child of Mr. Alf. Wilkins, Baptist-street, was knocked down by one of the animals and sustained injuries to the head which resulted in concussion of the brain. The little one died on Thursday morning from the effects of the injuries she received.

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: June 8th. 1900.


Mr. Thomas Humphreys, cabinet maker, of this town, was awarded a prize of five guineas and a gold medal for the best carved oak chair at the West Kirby Eisteddfod, on Whit-Saturday, with the adjudicator's highest praise.

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: June 8th. 1900.


The corporation have this week greatly improved Twthill-lane which leads from Bangor-street to Twthill-terrace. New metalling has been laid down, the gradient improved, and the road properly levelled in a way which reflects the greatest credit upon Mr. Hall, the surveyor.

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: June 8th. 1900.



About 8.30 this (Friday) morning, a great fire broke out at the Peblic Flannel Mills, belonging to Messrs. Lake and Co., Limited, Carnarvon. There were a large number of looms and machinery in the building which had been fixed up during the last three years. The fire broke out about 8.30 this morning, and no-one knows how it occurred. The fire brigade and engine arrived on the spot in forty minutes, but the whole works was in a state of conflagration. It will throw about thirty hands out of employment, unless the company can find room for them to work at their other factories. The damage will be between six and seven thousand pounds, which is only partly covered by insurance. The building is the property of Mr. J. E. Greaves, the Lord-lieutenant, who was on the spot during the fire. There only remains of the building the bare walls. A large number of the townspeople rendered valuable assistance in trying to overcome the flames.

This fire again calls upon the town council at once to tackle the question of the brigade appliances. Although it was the general opinion of all present that this could not be got under had there been better appliances, yet it is high time that we should be possessed of the latest fire appliances, and a good steam fire engine. Much sympathy is expressed with the company at this great loss.

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: June 8th. 1900.

The Nelson Emporium's Christmas advert. C.D.H. 14th. December, 1900.  K. Morris
The Nelson Emporium's Christmas advert. C.D.H. 14th. December, 1900. K. Morris



The streets of Carnarvon presented a particularly gay appearance on Thursday, when the fall of Pretoria was celebrated. Bunting was freely displayed on almost every house and business place. The ships in the harbour and docks were ablaze with flags and banners. As had been resolved upon at a recent council meeting, a grand procession started from the Guild Hall, at three o'clock in the afternoon. It consisted of the Band of the 3rd. Vol. Battalion of the Royal Welsh Fusiliers, followed by A. Company, 3rd. Vol. Battalion Welsh Fusiliers. Then came the Band of the 8th. Company 1st. Cheshire and Carnarvonshire Artillery Volunteers, followed by the 8th. Company of the 1st. Cheshire and Carnarvon Artillery Volunteers. The Carnarvon Fire Brigade with the engine, came next, and after them marched the Loyal Menai and Loyal Prince Edward Lodges of Oddfellows, and the Court Carnarvon Castle Ancient Order of Forresters. The following was afterwards the order of the procession:- Members and officers of the Carnarvon School Board, members and officers of the Carnarvon Harbur Trust, the Deputy-lieutenant of the County (Sir Llewelyn Turner), and other county and public officers. The borough banner and mace bearers. The Mayor, members and officers of the town council, burgesses, and, lastly, the school children. The children had massed together along the wide part of Bangor-street and up North-pen'rallt, Bridge-street, etc., and they joined the procession as it passed by. The smartness of the National School boys in marching was very evident. The route taken was that up Bangor-street, and North-road, as far as the station, and then back again along Bangor-street, Pool-street, New-street, Segontium-terrace, Castle-square, Palace-street, High-street, and Castle-street, into the Castle. At the Castle, the Deputy-constable, Sir Llewelyn Turner, received the procession. The school children formed up at upper end and received presents of oranges, buns, etc. After the remainder of the procession and the public had entered the grounds, the children sang various songs under the conductorship of Mr. Cottrell.

Sir Llewelyn Turner (the deputy-lieutenant) addressing the concourse, spoke of the glorious achievements of the British troops in South Africa, and called for hearty cheers for the three soldiers who have been invalided home and who formed part of the procession through the town.

The Mayor spoke in the same strain, and after the Deputy-lieutenant had called for three cheers for the organisers of the celebrations, the National Anthem was sung by the children to the accompaniment of the bands. The children and the public were allowed the use of the Castle grounds, and the little ones appeared to enjoy themselves very heartily. In the evening, there was a display of fireworks at Castle-square.

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: June 15th. 1900.


The 2nd. Batt. of the Royal Welch Fusiliers, recently stationed at Hong Kong, are among the British troops ordered to Peking. There are several Carnarvon men amongst the non-commissioned officers and privates.

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: June 15th. 1900.


Some sensation was caused in the town on Saturday, when it became known that some of the seats placed by the town council on the Aber-road, had been removed and thrown into the sea. When inquiries were made, it was found that they had been placed on some grass plots adjoining the road, which belonged to the Coedhelen estate, and that no permission to do so had been asked.

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: June 15th. 1900.



At a special county court, held at Carnarvon on Friday, his Honour Judge Sir Horatio Lloyd heard two cases of workmen applying for compensation. One was brought under the Employers' Liability Act of 1880, the plaintiff being Griffith Owen, Pool-street, Carnarvon, and the defendants Messrs. De Winton and Co., of the Union Ironworks. The claim was for 250 for the loss of an eye. The plaintiff was a fitter who had been in the employ of the defendants for thirty-seven years. Some months ago he was sent to the Coedmadoc Quarry, Nantlle, to execute some work, in the course of which he found it necessary to have a certain metal. He sent a message to his employers to forward him white metal, but instead of that they sent him anti-friction metal, which the plaintiff used, with the result that a splinter flew into his eye, necessitating the complete removal of that organ. The defence raised was briefly that by white metal the defendants understood anti-friction metal, which they sent to the plaintiff in the natural course of things; but the plaintiff in his evidence said that though he had been in the employ of the defendants for a great many years he had never heard the term anti-friction metal. - His Honour held that there was no negligence on the part of the defendants. He pointed out that the plaintiff, when he found out that the metal was not what he required, had ample opportunity of rectifying the error by communicating with his employers. - Judgment was entered for the defendants, who did not ask for costs. - Defendants also promised that plaintiff should resume his work, and receive the same wages as before. - Mr. Bryn Roberts, M.P. (instructed by Messrs. J. T. Roberts and Davies), was for the plaintiff, and Mr. Montgomery (instructed by Messrs. Carter and Co.), for the defendants.

The second case was one in which Joe Crosdale, of Oldham, sued Messrs. De Winton, for 300 damages for loss which he had sustained by reason of the death of his son, Harold Crosdale. - Mr. Bryn Roberts, M.P. (instructed by Mr. T. W. Henwood), appeared for the plaintiff, and Mr. Montgomery (instructed by Messrs. Carter and Co.), appeared for the defendants. - On the 25th. October last, young Crosdale was working in the Union Ironworks underneath an elevated crane, when the crane driver dropped an iron bar from above, which fell upon his head, and from the injuries he sustained he died on the following day. It was contended that the accident happened by reason of a defect in the condition of the platform on which the crane moved, and the incompetence of the workman in charge, as well as the dangerous system of working. - Mr. Stenning, managing director of the company, gave evidence for the defence, and stated that there had been no neglect on the part of the management. - Several cases having been quoted, his Honour reserved judgment.

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: June 22nd. 1900.


Private Hugh Hughes, North-pen'rallt, who volunteered for active service in South Africa, has been invalided home.

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: June 29th. 1900.


Mr. J. Williams, an old Carnarvonite, who is now at Durban, favours us with a copy of the "Durban Review and Critic," giving an account of a successful fancy dress football match, which was got up at Durban, in aid of the sick and wounded at the front, principally through the efforts of Mr. R. Ellis Jones, another old Carnarvonite, who is described as "one of the most popular sportsmen in Durban." Mr. Jones arranged many such matches, and secured good sums for the object in view.

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: June 29th. 1900.


Another detachment of 53 men, belonging to the 4th. Battalion R.W.F., now stationed at Devonport, left that place this week to reinforce the Devon Regiment at the front. Among the number are the following Carnarvon men:- E. Evans and J. Parry, Mountain-street; J. Harrington, Uxbridge-street; J. Brownley, Baptist-street; and E. Jones, Crown-street. H. Angel, Mountain-street, who belongs to the 4th. S. W. Borderers, has also left Aldershot for South Africa. Angel and Evans have brothers already at the front.

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: June 29th. 1900.





The idea of a marine drive and an electric railway from the Aber Bridge to Dinas Dinlle has long been cherished, but some members of the Carnarvon Town Council, in their anxiety to advertise the town, consider such trivial details beneath their notice. When somebody else far more sighted than the occupants of the council chamber steps forward to open their eyes and point out the advantages of such a scheme, they shake their heads and will have nothing to do with it. They would like to see the work done, but they fight shy of the expense, and when somebody else offers to do it for them they become jealous and oppose.

Parry the tobacconist's Christmas advert. C.D.H. 14th. December, 1900.  K. Morris
Parry the tobacconist's Christmas advert. C.D.H. 14th. December, 1900. K. Morris

We are informed, on good authority, that Mr. Peterson, a London solicitor, and Mr. Rhodes, and engineer from Yorkshire, recently visited the town with the view of constructing a light railway. They went over the site, and were very favourably impressed. They were quite prepared to carry the thing out, provided the council agreed to their also undertaking the electric lighting of the town. These gentlemen wished to have an interview with the town council and the members of the Gwyrfai District Council, and accordingly Mr. Charles A. Jones was instructed by the promoters to communicate with the committee with this view. The committee met on Saturday last, but it is to be regretted that they did not see their way clear - or, to be more exact, that the members of the town council did not - to grant even the interview, though it was pointed out by more than one member that this did not bind them to anything. It was said that they had no legal powers to do anything in the matter. Surely, there is no question of law in this, and, as Dr. John Williams very properly observed, "Sometimes it is well to take a common sense view of the matters apart from their legal aspect."

After a suggestion is made for carrying on the very work which was the object of the erection of the Aber Bridge at such an outlay to the ratepayers of the town, it cannot be too deeply regretted that opportunity of completing the scheme should be thrown away undiscussed.

We understand, moreover, that orders have been obtained by Mr. Peterson under the Light Railway Act for the erection of the Rother Valley and Sheppey Light Railways, both of which have been constructed. He has also obtained orders from the Hadlow, Cogges Hull, Central Essex, Long Milford, and Hadley Light Railways, all of which are now in course of construction. Seeing, further, that the promoters would have to spend something like 2000 or 3000 to obtain powers, as both an Act of Parliament and a Board of Trade Order are necessary, that should be a sufficient guarantee of their bona fides.

William Thomas's Christmas advert. C.D.H. 14th. December, 1900.  K. Morris
William Thomas's Christmas advert. C.D.H. 14th. December, 1900. K. Morris

The council use the same arguments as have been used before against the proposed electric lighting of the town, and those are that they have recently laid out a considerable sum on the gas works. To meet this, we understand that a suggestion was made to them that the gasworks could be purchased by the promoters, and in the event of the favourable consideration of the scheme, a clause would be inserted in the Bill giving the council the option of purchasing the whole concern within a certain period.

It was very short-sighted policy to refuse an interview to the promoters so that they may at least explain their scheme.

In the opinion of Sir William Preece, and looking at statistics generally, there is no instance on record of gas undertakings having suffered by the introduction of electric light. When small places such as Llanrwst and Festiniog take the matter into serious consideration, surely an important town like Carnarvon should not allow the thing to pass.

Then the price of gas in Carnarvon is 4s. a thousand feet, which is enormous, for in other towns it is 2s. 6d. and under, although they have electric light, and the price of gas has not been reduced any where after electricity has been introduced. The council will again meet in committee on Saturday when it is to be hoped they will abandon their dog-in-the-manger policy and listen to the voice of reason.

In fact, there are clear indications that the policy they follow is fraught with danger. If the matter is not taken up by the council, other promoters threaten to come forward and put up plant for the lighting of the town, which can be done in spite of town council opposition provided a certain proportion of property owners grant their consent, and as a matter of fact the representatives of the larger works in the town, the principal tradesmen, and most of the inhabitants of the South-road, including several members of the town council, have been canvassed, and have agreed to take in electricity as an illuminant in the event of a private firm establishing works in the town. The cost of the supply is the principal thing, but the ratepayers canvassed can sign an undertaking to take in electric light conditionally on it being pointed out to them that it will be cheaper than gas. Of course, the inclusion of the light railway in the undertaking is a matter of reducing expenditure. Alone it is questionable whether the railway would pay; but with the addition of the electric light machinery the same staff would practically be employed to work both concerns.

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: July 6th. 1900.


Among those who have been invalided home from the seat of war is Private Griffith Wiliams, North-pen'rallt, one of the Carnarvon Volunteers. He reached home on Wednesday.

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: July 27th. 1900.


The swimming competitions in connection with the County School came off on Saturday, in front of the Anglesey Hotel, in the presence of a large crowd of inhabitants and wellwishers of the County School. The races were inaugerated, and prizes provided, by the Vicar (the Rev. J. W. Wynne Jones, M.A.), who is an enthusiast upon the subject. A large number of the boys competed in the senior race. H. Pierce first, R. O. Jones and E. A. Evans (dead heat) second. In the junior race, E. A. Griffith first, Bertie Roberts second, Idwal Griffith third. The Vicar acted as judge and starter, and was ably assisted by Mr. Pierce. The prizes were distributed by the Vicar in front of the hotel, where hearty cheers were given to him, the headmasters, and all friends who had taken part in the proceedings.

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: August 3rd. 1900.


During the past week, a large number of visitors came to Carnarvon from the manufacturing towns of England. The Castle and other places of interest in the locality were visited.

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: August 3rd. 1900.


The work of relaying the gas mains in Pool-street is proceeding apace, and hopes are entertained that it will be completed some time next week. The old mains had become too small and that necessitated the change.

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: August 3rd. 1900.


Prince Mohamed Ibrahim, of Egypt, a cousin to the Khedive, with his secretary, Mr. J. L. Preston, have been on a short visit to Carnarvon and the vicinity, as the guests of Mr. and Mrs. Barnard, of Brynbras Castle. His Highness visited Beddgelert, Snowdon, and other places of interest in the neighbourhood, and left by the morning train on Saturday for London, en route to Berlin.

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: August 3rd. 1900.


The Carnarvon division of the county constabulary were inspected on Wednesday morning by the Captain the Hon. C. G. Legge, Her Majesty's Inspector of Constabulary. After drill in the Castle, at which Superintendent Rowlands, four sergeants, and 17 constables attended, the office books and the chief-constable's accounts were inspected. The inspector expressed his satisfaction at the appearance of the men, the cleanliness of the offices, and the tidy and correct manner in which the books were kept.

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: August 17th. 1900.


Mr. W. T. Williams, the assistant to the Aber Bridge master, has just received from a lady whose son he rescued from the water, a silver pencil as a token of recognition for his rescue.

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: August 17th. 1900.


Information has just been received that Private William Edwards, a native of Baptist-street, at present attached to the 2nd. Batt. Royal Welch Fusiliers, has been slightly wounded at Yang-tsun in China.

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: August 17th. 1900.


The Local Government Board has now formally sanctioned the laying down of new mains to the town. It will be remembered that a deputation from the town council waited upon the President, and we are informed that Mr. Lloyd-George, M.P., has given the council very valuable assistance in the matter.

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: August 17th. 1900.


Two lads named Sullivan and Evans, residing in the neighbourhood of Twthill, were brought up before the borough Bench on Tuesday charged with stealing a quantity of apples from the garden of Mr. E. R. Evans, reporter, on Sunday night. P.C. 75, who caught the lads in the act, said that one of the lads was in the garden whilst the other stood on the wall and watched. Both had apples in their pockets. The family had gone to chapel. - Mr. Evans informed the Bench that he did not wish to press the charge, and asked their worships to deal leniently with the boys. The defendants promised not to sin in this respect again, and having been severely reprimanded, were discharged.

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: August 24th. 1900.


Private W. Parry, of Palace-court, has been taken prisoner by the Boers in the Transvaal.

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: August 24th. 1900.


On Wednesday, the inmates of the Carnarvon Workhouse were taken by Mr. and Mrs. Parry, the master and matron, for a trip to Llanfairfechan. The expenses of the trip were defrayed from the surplus obtained from the recent open-air concert held at the Workhouse.

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: August 24th. 1900.


P.C. Hugh Edwards (75), and P.C. Thomas Roberts (22), two young constables who went into the water at two o'clock in the morning of the 2nd. of August, and rescued a young woman, who had fallen into the dock, on Saturday, received a cheque for 5 from the lady, who also sent a letter of thanks to Superintendent Rowlands and Mrs. Rowlands for their kindness to her while in the Police Station after being rescued.

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: August 31st. 1900.


During the past week a large number of Boer relics have been received from Carnarvon soldiers at the front. Some of these were wearing apparel of dead Boers, spent shells and cartridges, Transvaal silver coin, and Mafeking and Ladysmith siege stamps.

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: August 31st. 1900.


The War Office has given information that Private J. Roberts (5927), 2nd. South Wales Borderers, died at Blomfontein, on May 31st., of enteric fever. It will be remembered that deceased was dangerously wounded at Karee Siding. He was the eldest son of Mr. Robert Roberts, enameller, Victoria-street, and a nephew of Mr. O. Llwyfo Roberts, Llandudno.

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: August 31st. 1900.


On Thursday, Sir W. H. Preece, K.C.B., entertained a large garden party at Penrhos. Representatives of the leading families in the town and county were present, beside some distinguished guests. The Segontium Male Voice Party, led by Mr. J. Cottrell, supplied the musical programme.

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: September 7th. 1900.


The question of the alleged trespass by the town council on land said to be the property of the Coedhelen Estate, adjoining the Aber Road, by placing seats thereon, was discussed at length by the town council in committee on Tuesday night. Feelings ran very high, when it was announced that Mr. Lloyd Hughes had consented to permit the seats to remain in the present position on payment of a shilling per seat per annum. The matter has not yet been settled, but the majority of the members present felt a disposition to fight to the bitter end.

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: September 14th. 1900.


On Thursday, a silver owl was captured in the moat near the entrance to Carnarvon Castle, and was sold alive to a Hereford gentleman for five shillings. This species of owl is becoming very rare in the country.

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: September 14th. 1900.


During the past week, the corporation men have been busily engaged with the water pipes which supply the lower part of the town near Balaclava. Mr. Hall has succeeded in improving the supply by the introduction of new pipes, so that now that locality need suffer no more from the inconvenience of the past.

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: September 14th. 1900.



On Saturday, a little boy named Robert Jones was knocked over by a Llanberis train near the Carnarvon Workhouse, and injured so badly that he died at the Workhouse Infirmary a couple of hours later.

Mr. J. H. Bodvel Roberts, the county coroner, held an inquest upon the body at the Shirehall, on Monday.

Advert by The Welsh Cycle Manufacturing Co. C.D.H. 14th. December, 1900.  K. Morris
Advert by The Welsh Cycle Manufacturing Co. C.D.H. 14th. December, 1900. K. Morris

The first witness called was John Williams. He said he saw the deceased, who was only four years of age, on the side of the railway with three other children. Just as a train was approaching from the direction of Llanberis, one of the boys crossed the line and deceased tried to follow, but was knocked down. Witness rushed to the spot, and found deceased lying on his back between the rails, his head badly bruised. The train stopped, but the little boy, who was not then dead, was removed to the Workhouse Infirmary close by.

The driver of the train, Edmund Phillips, of Chester, said the engine whistled when approaching the crossing leading from the Park. Witness saw deceased standing on one side of the railway, and gazing at the train with a terrified look, and subsequently he bolted across in front of the engine. The train was pulled up as soon as possible after the occurrence.

Mr. Humphrey, of the Engineer's Office of the L. and N.-W. Railway Company, at Bangor, said that the accident occurred 132 yards away from the crossing.

Several jurors having expressed an opinion that there should be better protection for children at that point, the Coroner pointed out that the child had wandered along the line, and if the crossing was to be done away with, a tunnel or a bridge would have to be constructed, but his opinion was, that people rather risked their lives than avail themselves of such advantage. Children, as was well known would go over walls, and no railway company could be expected to keep a policeman to watch every stile.

A verdict of "Accidental death" was returned, and by a majority, the jury decided to recommend to the railway company that they should put up a bridge on the side of the crossing.

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: September 21st. 1900.


The Rev. David Hughes, Carnarvon, has received a letter from one of the Carnarvon lads from the seat of war, in which he says:- "The Boers are very strong men, but very few of them can speak English, and they are Dutchmen as a nation, and look like murderers. We have to complain bitterly of the food. Great Britain ought to be ashamed of the way she treats her soldiers. We only get two biscuits and a tin of corned beef twice a day. Many of us have not seen soap to wash with for ten months, and many have not a shirt to change. The cemetery at Blomfontein is as large as Llanbeblig, and about 150 are buried daily between those who are killed and die from fever." The writer then proceeds to say that six of the Carnarvon lads besides himself were very anxious to get a Welsh Testament and asks the reverend gentleman to "send the letter to the newspapers, so that we may have one. The other lads made me write," he concludes, "and Tom Jones, Baptist-street, said that you were the most likely man to get us one."

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: October 12th. 1900.


Mr. Tom Armstrong is about to leave the Sportsman Hotel, which will be taken up by Mr. Crispin, of the Prince of Wales, the tenancy of which, by the way, will revert to its previous popular landlord, Mr. Morgan, so well known to Carnarvon people.

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: October 12th. 1900.


A great deal of invonvenience was caused in town on Sunday night in consequence of the alterations going on at the gasworks. The corporation had decided to place the new gasholder in position on Sunday, but a notice had been issued stating that the gas would be turned on again at four o'clock. However, when the various congregations went to their respective chapels at six o'clock, there was no gas, but a good deal of foul air came through the pipes and filled the rooms with poisonous smells. In some places, the services were proceeded with by the aid of candles until gas came a little after seven, whereas in others the services were abandoned.

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: November 2nd. 1900.


It is not often that strawberries ripen in the open-air at Carnarvon thus far in the season, but so mild has the weather been during the past few weeks, that Mr. Kennedy, the head gardener of Mr. Owen, Ty Coch, has been able to grow some luscious strawberries in the open. They were picked ripe this week.

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: November 2nd. 1900.


News reached Carnarvon this week of the following casualties at the front:- Private William Evans (1787), killed, and Private T. Jones (2311) slightly wounded. Both men lived in Baptist-street, and went out with the Militia Reserve. They were attached to the 1st. R. W. F. Evans leaves a widow and two little children. Private D. Smith (3414), R.W.F., nephew of Colour-sergeant Lewis, was also reported wounded at Frederickstadt, on the 20th. of October.

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: November 2nd. 1900.


Corporal J. H. Vaughan, of Tanybryn, Carnarvon, arrived in Carnarvon, on Monday evening, and was met at the station by a large number of friends, by whom he was accorded a most hearty welcome. Vaughan left Carnarvon early in January last, and has since been actively engaged in the war. He was first under fire at Rooidam, and afterwards at Fourteen Streams, Warenden, &c. He subsequently was taken ill with enteric at Potschestroum, whence he was sent to a convalescent home at Johannesburg, but on the way there, the train was wrecked by the Boers, and detained for ten days, when they were released, and sent on to the convalescent home at Johannesburg. There Vaughan had a relapse of the fever, and was sent to Springfontein and Winberg, and left the latter place for home. We hear he is one of eight cousins who have been at the front, seven now living.

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: November 9th. 1900.


There have been a few cases of measles reported from the Henwalia district, but the epidemic has taken a mild form, and the closing of the schools is not anticipated.

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: November 9th. 1900.


On Wednesday, during the strong wind, the bridge was blown open, causing some damage to the cogwheels. Although several efforts have been made to bring the bridge round again, the gas engine has proved itself too weak for the work, Since Wednesday, the traffic has been carried on by means of the old ferry boat.

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: November 9th. 1900.


The corporation officials, during the past few days, have effected great improvement in the road leading to Twthill, called North-pen'rallt. The roadway has been made level and well surfaced, and probably for the first time in the history of the town the steam roller was brought into requisition in this thoroughfare.

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: November 16th. 1900.


Though it was stated at the town council, on Friday, that the Aber Bridge would be in working order on the following day, as a matter of fact it was not, nor could it be thrown over at the beginning of the week, with the result that passengers desiring to cross from one side to the other were compelled to cross by boat.

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: November 16th. 1900.


In the casualty list, this week, there appears the name of Private J. Thomas (3077), one of the privates of the 2nd. Batt. R.W.F., and the son of Mr. Robert Thomas, Rhosbodrual. Private Thomas left this country for Hong Kong some years ago, and died of dysentry in China on the 27th. of October. He was 27 years of age.

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: November 16th. 1900.


Private George Langton, now serving in South Africa, had a narrow escape during the recent fighting. In a letter home, dated the 14th. of October, he says:- "Just as we had pitched tents and were sitting down for breakfast, Boer shells came in torrents amongst us. As I was rushing from the tent with my rifle and equipment, a shell fell so near me that the force from it fell me straight on the earth. I can tell you that my heart was nearly in my mouth for a minute, until I saw I was all right. I do not want a narrow shave like that again."

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: November 16th. 1900.


There are several cases of small pox at the Carnarvon Borough Fever Hospital. Most of the patients are from Llanberis, and the outbreak at Carnarvon is attributed to the act of a man who was locked up in the cell at the police station. It is believed that this man slept in a house in Llanberis, which was infected, and that he spent the next night in the cell, thereby conveying the disease to the one who attended upon him. Every effort has been made to stamp out the dread malady, and Mr. R. H. Parry, the sanitary inspector of the Gwyrfai district, gives high praise for the valuable help he received from Mr. Evan Roberts, the sanitary inspector of Carnarvon. Dr. Fraser, the medical officer of health, has been indefatigable in his efforts to prevent the spread of the disease.

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: November 30th. 1900.


Owing to the prevalence of fever, the schools were closed on Thursday. The number of children attending were much below the average during the week.

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: November 30th. 1900.



S. Morris's Christmas advert. C.D.H. 14th. December, 1900.  K. Morris
S. Morris's Christmas advert. C.D.H. 14th. December, 1900. K. Morris

The outbreak of small pox in Carnarvon has naturally caused considerable uneasiness, and every possible effort is being made by the sanitary authorities to trace and stamp out the disease. That dread disease is, however, not the only scourge the medical authorities have to contend with, for although the matter has to a certain extent been kept secret, scarlet fever and chicken pox are prevalent in the town. It is astonishing how apathetic the school authorities appear to be, for while the sanitary officials are, to use a common phrase, worked off their legs, the school board seems blind to the fact that they have a duty to perform which they have neglected - neglected so much that on Wednesday afternoon one of the schools had to be closed because the number of children present was so small that the teachers did not mark the register.

With regard to the small pox outbreak, three cases were reported on Monday, and one on Tuesday, and each case seems to be traceable to the police force. It will be remembered that some time ago, an outbreak occurred at Llanberis, and an attempt has been made to connect the Carnarvon outbreak with that, but the local doctors disagree entirely with this theory. The story goes that a man from Llanberis, who was known to have been in contact with small pox patients, was locked up in the cells at Carnarvon, and that he was the means of bringing the disease to the town. Every effort was made to stop its progress, but this proved ineffectual, and an inmate of the police station was struck down, and had to be taken to the hospital. The cell was disinfected, and all the members of the police force were vaccinated. This seemed to have arrested the course of the microbe, and for a few days more nothing was heard of its effects, until suddenly, on Monday night the landlady of one of the policemen fell ill. Later in the day, it was reported that a police-officer was down, then came the news that an acquaintance of another officer was infected, and on Tuesday the wife of yet another policeman had to be taken to the hospital. Remarkably enough, the poor man from Llanberis, who was supposed to have imported the infection, has never been ill, and the medical fraternity, therefore, are disposed to discard the theory that he brought it to the town. The question, therefore, remains to be solved where it originated.

On Tuesday evening, there was a rush on the doctors for vaccination. Several hundreds were vaccinated, and calf lymph was completely exhausted. Telegraphic and telephonic messages were sent to the depots for more, but even this was not sufficient, for on Wednesday, several hundreds more were vaccinated, and the surgery of Dr. G. R. Griffith became the rendezvous of a large number of young and old, anxious to be operated upon gratis by the public vaccinating officer.

Meanwhile, the schools were allowed to be kept open, despite the fact that in North-pen'rallt there were two house nearly opposite the entrance gates of the girls' school, from which patients had been removed to the hospital. It should also be stated that during the day one of these houses was allowed to be open, and certain people passed in and out, apparently regardless of the dangers they ran, and of the infection they might carry with them. There were no additional cases on Wednesday, but as the germ takes several days to mature, and to adapt itself, as it were, the medical gentlemen seem doubtful whether the progress of the disease has yet been arrested. As to the outbreaks of scarlet fever and chicken pox, little, if any, attempt has been made to isolate the cases in an effectual manner. It will be remembered that the school board showed similar apathy last year, when there was a measles epidemic. On Thursday, however, all the schools were closed.

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: December 7th. 1900.


Messrs. J. Thomas and Son, auctioneers, Carnarvon, held a sale, at the Sportsman Hotel, on Thursday, when the freehold licensed-house, known as the "Adelphi Hotel," Palace-street, Carnarvon, was offered for sale. As the reserve price was not reached, the property was withdrawn.

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: December 7th. 1900.


Sir Hugh Rowlands sent to Mr. C. A. Jones, the other day, three Chinese geese as a gift to the town and to be kept in the Pake lake. Mr. Jones took the birds and placed them on the lake, but the swan took unkindly to the newcomers, and after a stiff fight one of them was killed.

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: December 7th. 1900.


Mrs. W. Evans, Baptist-street, Carnarvon, has just received a letter from Captain Delure-Radcliffe, commanding the E Company, R.W.F. 6th. Battalion, South African Field Force, from Frederickstadt, dated the 1st. ult., informing her of the death of her husband, No. 1787, Private W. Evans, who was killed on the 25th. October, in a very sharp action at Frederickstadt. Captain Delure-Radcliffe says "He was a good and brave soldier, and always did his duty well and bravely. It was a glorious day for the regiment, and for my company in particular, as it bore the brunt of the fight, and had nine men killed or mortally wounded, 16 men, more or less, severely wounded, and myself and several other men slightly. Your husband was well up in the firing line, fighting bravely, when he was struck. He was killed instantly, and had no pain." The Captain also, writing on the 5th. ult., returns a letter from Mrs. Evans to her husband, which had arrived after he was killed.

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: December 14th. 1900.


The mortality returns for the borough of Carnarvon during the last month were exceptionally low, being only 11.5 per thousand of the inhabitants. This is lower than that of any month since August 1897.

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: December 14th. 1900.


Mr. C. A. Jones, Bronhendre, with his usual generosity has sent a handsome contribution towards the Christmas Fund of the Tanybont Ragged School, where annual presents are made to the poor people of the town.

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: December 14th. 1900.



Complaints are made that the trade of Carnarvon has been greatly damaged by exaggerated reports circulated as to the prevalence of small pox in the town, and it is stated that a memorial was addressed to the medical officer of health on behalf of the tradesmen of the town, requesting him to issue a notice setting forth the true state of things. It is much to be regretted if exaggerated reports have been circulated. We have endeavoured to give the truth and the whole truth, and we believe that to be the best and the only honest course to adopt, the publication of the facts really being much more likely than their suppression to prevent the circulation of exaggerated reports. We are pleased to state, however, that apparently the disease has been stamped out, for no fresh cases have occurred, as will be seen from the followng statement, dated the 8th. inst.:- "In face of various alarmist rumours, I am glad to report that no case of small pox has been notified from the borough of Carnarvon for the last eleven days. The total number of cases notified up to the present from the borough is 4. - P. Fraser, medical officer of health."

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: December 21st. 1900.


On Monday evening next, Hill's Vaudeville Company will give the first of a series of entertainments for Christmas amusements. They have engaged for the Christmas week one of the best London companies, whose performances will be a treat to witness.

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: December 21st. 1900.


A large number of competitors have entered for the various events at the annual Eisteddfod, to be held at the Guild Hall on Christmas Day. Five choirs have entered for the chief competition, and the outlook for keen rivalry in the other subjects is good.

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: December 28th. 1900.


The gale which swept over the district on Christmas Day did not cause extensive damage. A few slates and chimney pots were blown to the ground and the flagstaff erected at the prison for the hoisting of the black flag at times of execution, was broken, and blown on to the promenade.

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: December 28th. 1900.


Mr. J. R. Hughes, and Mr. Roberts, Washburton House, last week, gave a quantity of tea to be distributed amongst the poor people attending the Tanybont Mission Hall, and through the kindness of the friends at Salem and Pendref, the officials of the mission were able to give to each a bunloaf as well.

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: December 28th. 1900.



We have received the following, dated the 20th. inst., from Dr. Fraser, medical officer of health for the Carnarvonshire Combined Sanitary District:- "Your readers will be pleased to learn that no further case of small pox has been notified from the borough since my last letter to you. Twenty-five days have now elapsed since the last case was notified."

  © 2003 - 2021 Keith Morris. All rights reserved