CARNARVON TRADERS

The Repository of all Things Historical for the Ancient Welsh Town of Carnarvon

  Castle Square, Carnarvon. Published by Williams & Hughes, Bridge Steet, 1850


Home



Contents



What's New



News



List of Trades



Directories



Census



Miscellaneous



Biographies



Images



Parish Chest



Books



Caernarfon Ddoe/
Caernarfon's Yesterdays




Contact & Links



Copyright


THE NEWS ROOM
1908


From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: January 10th. 1908.

WORKHOUSE INFIRMARY

At the next meeting of the Board of Guardians an important report by Dr. Tom Roberts, medical officer to the workhouse, on the condition of the union infirmary will be submitted. The Board will again have to face the question of erecting a new building, or of greatly improving the present one.


From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: January 17th. 1908.

GENERAL BADEN POWELL'S VISIT

The famous "B.P." will vists Carnarvon next Wednesday, and deliver an illustrated lecture on "Boy Scouts" at the Pavilion. The Lord Lieutenant will preside, and the General's lecture is sure to attract a big audience. The proceeds will be devoted towards establishing 20 additional Y.M.C.A. tents in volunteer camps in Wales.


From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: January 31st. 1908.

INDIAN MUTINY VETERAN

A picture of Mr. Norris, Twthill Hotel, the Indian Mutiny veteran, who recently attended the banquet given in London to the veterans of that memorable campaign, appeared last week in the "Liverpool Echo."


From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: February 14th. 1908.

CLOSING OF THE SCHOOLS

By the order of Dr. Fraser (medical officer of health), the Council Schools were closed this week in order that they might be fumigated and cleansed.


From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: February 14th. 1908.

DANCING

Mr. S. W. Parnham's dancing class, which is held weekly, is a great success.


From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: February 21st. 1908.

SUPPER TIME IN SLUMLAND

VISIT TO THE COURTS & ALLEYS OF CARNARVON

(By a special correspondent)

Saturday night in the slums of Carnarvon is not what it used to be. There may still be quarrels and occasionally a fight or two, but a great improvement is noticeable in the general behaviour of the unfortunate people who drag out a miserable existence in the courts and alleys of our town. In what measure this improvement is attributable to trade depression it is impossible to say. Slack times are not unmixed evils, and in the case of large industrial communities, especially, it is often the case that the number of police court cases rises or falls according to the fluctuations in the trade of the district. Trade in Carnarvon is at its lowest ebb, and it is possible that this fact has some effects on the habits of a class of people. But it is an undoubted fact that there are other factors to be taken into consideration. I refer more particularly to the splendid mission work which is being carried on in the poorer parts of the town. That real good is done in this direction is undeniable. The general public scarcely realise the extent of the mission work carried on by a number of high-minded people in Carnarvon, and in a future article I may try to give a glimpse of this phase of religious work in the town.

SLUM LIFE

For the present, I shall only make a few remarks on how the poor live in Carnarvon. It should be remembered first of all that the people who inhabit our courts and alleys must not all be tarred with the same brush. They may be divided into at least two classes - the people who are poor through no fault of their own and the people who have nobody to blame but themselves for their present circumstances.

It is this later class which is the despair of every social reformer with boundless faith in humanity. These people have no ambition to rise above the squalid surroundings in which they find themselves. They would rather go half-starved than do half an hour's work. Yet they are far from feeling the pinch of want. They have no difficulty in convincing kindly-disposed people that they are deserving cases, and once this is done they never want for clothing, food, or even beer. That money given in charity is often passed over the public house bar is fully proved by recent cases in Carnarvon which came under the writer's notice. Names of Carnarvon philanthropists have been bandied about in drinking shops by the undeserving poor who openly boast of the success of their tactics in duping people with harrowing tales of starving wives and children.

ONE-ROOM DWELLING

These people live in miserable dens. Often there are two or three families in a small house. Judged by the official municipal standard the house is, of course, fit for habitation, or it would have been condemmned as unfit, but judged by what the middle class population of the town would regard as an exceptionally low standard it would be unhesitatingly condemmned. These one-room dwellings are a sight to see. The great majority of the people of the town. though perhaps living within a few yards of the worst description of slum, know next to nothing of the conditions under which their neighbours live. "Half the people know not how the other half live" is true no less of Carnarvon than of the country in general, and a visit to a dozen slum houses in Carnarvon would be sufficient to convince any one of the urgent need for reform.

One night last week I accompanied a friend on a tour through some of the slums of Carnarvon. We visited seven or eight houses, which, I was assured, were by no means of the worst description. As a matter of fact, it transpired later that these houses were occupied by people who might be considered respectable judging by the standard of living among some of their neighbours. But the worst of it is that even these people live in places where many a man would not like to house his dogs or pigs.

TAKING SUPPER IN TURNS

Let us take a case which is no better and no worse than many which came under notice the other evening. We knocked at the door of an uninviting house, and there was a prompt "Come in." The people of the slums seldom take the trouble of opening the door when somebody knocks, although they may be actually sitting within reach of it at the time. They invite visitors in, and so in we went. It was only necessary to cross the threshold to be in the kitchen, for there was no passage, and the front door was evidently the only one in the house. The room was occupied by two families, each consisting of a man and wife with no children, so far as we could see. The furniture consisted of a small round table, two chairs - or boxes which served the purpose of chairs - and beds. One family was at supper. And such a supper! In a tin can on the table was some fat. It might have been dripping, but it had become dirty, and was rapidly melting under the influence of the excessively hot atmosphere - an atmosphere heavily charged with with the fumes of a paraffin lamp and of a badly burnt bloater which the two people at supper were sharing. They ate their meal in silence, while we chatted with the other people, who were sitting on their bed, evidently waiting the opportunity to make their own supper. The man at the table was interested in nothing except the bread, bloater, dripping and tea. He drank his tea out of a pint mug, burying his swarthy face in it at intervals and taking deep draughts, which soon emptied it. The woman was indifferent to everything that passed on. She was small, and to all appearances about sixty years of age, though her husband could not be much over forty. Her face, which was of a tawny tint, could not have been washed for several days - possibly weeks. She stared vacantly at the table before her and apparently thought of nothing at all. She was a typical slum woman. Fortunately, neither family appeared to have any children. Brought up amid such surroundings what sort of life could they hope to lead? One is driven to the conclusion that it would be a most difficult thing to make respectable citizens of them. The spread of education has failed to do much for such children, for school teaching, however good, cannot possibly counteract the evil surroundings amid which they are brought up.

This is only one phase of a many-sided question, and in future articles reference will be made to others. In the meantime, may I appeal to my fellow townsmen to consider thoroughly the housing question? It is to-day, as it has been for years, the most pressing problem which social reformers have to solve. Improvement is impossible while the people live under such depressing conditions, with absolutely no ambition to rise above their present level.


From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: February 21st. 1908.

THE NEW INDUSTRY FOR CARNARVON

FURTHER PARTICULARS

In last week's "Herald" there appeared a statement to the effect that it was proposed to start a new industry in Carnarvon. This week we are able to give the following further particulars, supplied by a member of the firm:-

"Part of the old Union Foundry buildings have been taken over from Messrs. Lake and Co. with a view to carry on the construction of motor cabs, motor pleasure cars, commercial motor cars, motor launches, also garage work, general engineering and repair work. At the head of the concern stands Mr. R. S. Fleming, with Mr. Max. A. Buch as his partner. Mr. R. S. Fleming has had considerable experience in marine and general engineering work, whilst Mr. Max A. Buch was previously connected with England's foremost motor car concern, the Daimler Motor Co. Ltd., of Coventry, and also with the Iris Motor Car Works of Messrs. Legros and Knowles Ltd., London, successful competitors in many Brookland track races and motor launch competitions. The new firm is to be started under the registered name of the "Kiwi" Engineering Works, Carnarvon."


From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: March 13th. 1908.

STARTLING AFFAIR AT CARNARVON

YOUNG WOMAN ATTACKED WITH A RAZOR

ACCUSED BEFORE THE MAGISTRATES

Annie Williams. C.D.H. 13th. March, 1908.  K. Morris
Annie Williams. C.D.H. 13th. March, 1908. K. Morris

A young woman named Annie Williams, a native of Ebenezer, who is in service at the Bardsey Inn, Palace Street, Carnarvon, was the victim of a serious outrage on Saturday night. About half-past eleven she was on her way from a bakehouse in Pool Hill, when a man rushed out of the darkness, and attacked her with a razor. In trying to save her throat she was lacerated about the hands. The instrument passed over the back of the neck, in which a deep gash was inflicted, and then over the ear which was shockingly mutilated. She cried out, but the street was deserted. The man made his escape, and the girl walked to the top of the street, and told a companion, who had stopped to have a conversation with a friend, that Eliseus Evans, a young man with whom she had been keeping company, had attacked her with a razor. Mr. D. Pugh Roberts, who was passing at the time, was informed of the occurrence, and he assisted the unfortunate girl, who was in an exhausted condition, to walk to the Bardsey Inn. They went by way of Skinner Street and Greengate Street, and at the top of Hole in the Wall Street, they met two police officers, to whom they related what had taken place. Dr. Parry, police surgeon, was summoned to the Bardsey Inn to attend to the girl. It was found that she had been severely wounded, and that her face and clothes were covered with blood. The police went to the house of Eliseus Evans's parents in Pool Side, but were told that the son was not in. They made a second visit some time later, and were informed that the young man was in bed. The policemen entered the house, and ordered him to dress. He did so, and accompanied the officers to the police station, where he was charged with the attempted murder of Annie Williams. In reply he said: "Is there any witness that I have done it? I am as clean from the thing as white paper." On a third visit being made to the house, the police found a razor, on which were blood marks. The accused, who is about twenty-three years of age, was at one time in the employ of Messrs. Williams and Owen, corn merchants, Castle Square. He went to South Wales, but returned recently. It is said that the girl had refused to marry him.

ACCUSED BEFORE THE MAGISTRATES

At the Carnarvon Petty Sessions on Monday, Eliseus Evans was brought up in custody charged with attempted murder. The magistrates on the Bench were the Mayor (R. Gwyneddon Davies, Esq.), J. R. Pritchard, Esq., M. T. Morris, Esq., R. Roberts, Esq., J. Fletcher, Esq., and R. Williams, Esq. The Court was crowded.

Superintendent Griffiths said the accused was arrested about ten minutes after midnight on Saturday, on the charge of attempting to murder Annie Williams, a domestic servant, employed at Bardsey Island Inn. The girl was not in a fit state to appear that day, and this would neccessitate a remand to a convenient date.

After the calling of formal evidence, Dr. Parry, the police surgeon, said that at 11.40 on Saturday night he was called by the police to the Bardsey Inn, where he saw Annie Williams. Her face and dress were covered with blood, which he found, was due to a wound at the back of the head extending upwards over the ear, which was cut across. A small piece of it had been completely cut off. The ring and middle fingers of the left hand were also cut. The cuts were clean, especially the one on the head. The girl had lost a good deal of blood, and the wound under the left ear was a very deep one. The girl was not in a fit state to appear that day, but her condition was not dangerous unless some complication set in. He had put six stitches altogether in the wound.

The accused was asked if he had any questions to put to witness, when he said, "I don't think there were so many marks as that. It was entirely accidental."

The Clerk: You had better not say anything now.

Police Constable 64 stated that he arrested accused shortly after midnight on Saturday, and brought him to the police station. He charged him with attempting to murder Annie Williams, and cautioned him. In reply the accused, who was quite sober, said, "Is there any witness that I have done it? I am as clean from the thing as white paper."

He was then remanded in custody until next Monday.


From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: March 20th. 1908.

LATE MR. HUGH JONES

The will of the late Mr. Hugh Jones, 26, Pool-street, has been proved at 4,246 gross.


From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: March 20th. 1908.

TRADE IN CARNARVON

OPINIONS OF REPRESENTATIVE TRADESMEN

"Is trade really bad at Carnarvon?" is a question which representatives of the "Herald" put to a number of business men in the town this week. On the whole, the replies indicate that things are not in such a deplorable state as some people would have us believe, while as to the future a distinctly optimistic spirit prevails. Among some tradesmen in the town one hears the complaint that townspeople prefer to send away for goods rather than buy locally. It is no doubt unfortunate that money should go out of the town in this way when it might be circulated here, and local tradesmen, who pay heavy rates, are naturally anxious that this subject should be brought prominently before the public. Below we report a number of interviews with tradesmen, and we hope next week to return to the subject:-

CAN'T COMPLAIN

Mr. Brymer (Messrs. Brymer and Davies), on being asked his opinion of the state of things in Carnarvon, said: "We cannot complain. Still the trade is not what it was two or three years ago. Carnarvon will hold its own against any other place I know of so far as the circulation of money goes. Trade is not so bad in Carnarvon as in other districts, viz., Bethesda, Festiniog, and Llanberis, and I venture to say that there is less actual poverty in Carnarvon than in those and other places. It is true that there is depression in the quarry districts, but it does not affect the town to the extent it does the localities concerned."

Questioned as to the Carenarvon trade with Angelsey, Mr. Brymer said that it was very good. Still he thought it could be very much improved with better facilities. Many Anglesey people did business at the Nelson Emporium, but he had never heard them complain about the service across the Straits. It was no doubt better and more reliable than it was prior to the Corporation taking over the ferry. One thing, said Mr. Brymer, the Corporation ought to do was to make a pier at Trefarthen.

OPTIMISTIC

Mr. J. R. Pritchard, grocer, Pool-street and Turf-square, was very optimistic. He said that he had no cause whatsoever to complain as far as the retail trade went. It was as good as it had ever been. Of course, he like others, could do with more, and was naturally trying to get more. The only complaint he had to make was that credit accounts did not come in quite so promptly as in years gone by. His experience was that the Saturday markets were quite as brisk as they were last year.

There was, it was true, depression in the quarry districts, and this was certain to affect local trade to some extent, but taking everything into consideration, his opinion was that things were no worse that they were last year, if anything, he was inclined to believe they were better. No difficulty was expreienced in raising money in the town towards various objects, and Mr. Pritchard instanced the fact that the children's annual collection towards the London Missionary Society showed an increase as compared with last year.

GOOD PROSPECTS

Mr. Jones (Messrs. Jones and Miller) protested against the cry that Carnarvon was going down. Such a statement persistently made was calculated to do the town much harm. Mr. Jones admitted that things were, and had been, quiet, but he thought there were good prospects for the spring.

TOWN TRADE BETTER

Mr. Evans (manager to Messrs. Dicks, Bridge-street) believed that the Saturday trade had declined as the result of the depression in the slate trade. The trade of the town generally was not what it was three years ago. However, the decline in the country trade had been made good, as far as his establishement was concerned, by a great increase in the town trade. Whereas some years ago people sent away for boots, shoes, etc., they now bought them in the town.

Pesonally, he could not complain, and he could not agree with the cry that Carnarvon was going down. It was common at this time of year for many parts of the country to suffer from depression, but with the advent of spring things generally showed an improvement.

A COMPLAINT

Another tradesmen - a grocer, who preferred to remain anonymous - said that things were not very bright at present. This he attributed to slackness in the slate trade and lack of local patriotism. People sent away for things which they could get at Carnarvon at the same price, or, in some cases, even cheaper. He was, however, of opinion that as there was some improvement noticeable in the slate trade, this would reflect favourably on the general trade of Carnarvon, and, therefore, things would undoubtedly brighten up.

SIGNS OF IMPROVEMENT

Mr. Joseph Roberts, Pool-street, said that the present state of trade was far from being satisfactory. This was undoubtedly due to the depression in the slate trade. He thought, however, that there were some signs of improvement to be noticed.

BETTER THINGS COMING

Messrs. Lonnie and Co. stated that so far as they were concerned their trade last year showed only a slight decrease. Money was perhaps scarcer, because the wet weather had prevented many quarrymen from working. They maintained, however, that there were prospects of an improvement in the future.

NOT SO VERY BAD

On inquiry at Mr. R. J. George's establishment our representative was told that Carnarvon people were far too pessimistic. He did not think things were so terribly bad as people believed. If things were really slack people would come to the town to buy in preference to buying in the country, for things were much cheaper here. Undoubtedly an improvement would take place if things brightened up in the quarries.


From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: March 27th. 1908.

PERSONAL

Owing to indifferent health, Mr. Illien, Royal Hotel, intends to leave the town and reside in the South of England.


From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: March 27th. 1908.

THEFT OF COAL

At a special Police Court this morning, before the Mayor and J. R. Pritchard, Esq., Ellen Jones, Crown-street, was charged with stealing 56lbs. of coal from the quay, where a steamer was being unloaded for Messrs. O. Evans and Son. The defendant, who was arrested by P.C. 64 carrying the coal, was fined 10s. and costs.


From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: April 10th. 1908.

THE TWTHILL ROAD

At a meeting of the Town Council, in committee, on Tuesday night, it was passed definitely to abandon the scheme to make a road through Twthill Bach.


From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: April 10th. 1908.

ST. GEORGE'S DAY

Englishmen resident in the town will celebrate St. George's Day by a dinner.


From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: April 17th. 1908.

The new National Privincial Bank. C.D.H. 17th. April, 1908.  K. Morris
The new National Privincial Bank. C.D.H. 17th. April, 1908.
K. Morris

NEW NATIONAL PROVINCIAL BANK, CARNARVON

The handsome new bank premises at the bottom of Pool-street for the National Provincial Bank of England, Ltd., were opened this (Thursday) morning. Three and a half years ago a branch was established in Castle-square, Carnarvon, but through the energy and activity of Mr. W. Owen, the manager of the branch, the business increased to such an extent that the premises soon became utterly inadequate, and the authorities of the bank decided to erect a commodious up-to-date building, and purchased a site at the corner of Pool-street and Castle-square.

A number of old houses were demolished, and when the plans of the new buildings were under the consideration of the Town Council, the latter appealed to the authorities of the bank to grant a portion of the land for the purpose of widening the street. The bank authorities readily consented, the Town Council paying them a nominal sum. The widening is an improvement greatly appreciated, for it was generally admitted that the corner at the bottom of Pool-street was one of the most dangerous in the town. The new building is an ornament to the town; it is worthy of the National Provincial Bank, and reflects the greatest credit on the architect, Mr. Rowland Lloyd Jones, M.S.A., Carnarvon, who found the site a most difficult one with regard to light and air.

The following is a detailed description of the building:-

Exterior: The whole of the outside dressed stone work to Pool-street and Castle Square has been built through cement in Ruabon Cefn stone. The style of architecture is English rennaisance, with massive columns extending two stories and crowned with carved Ionic caps. Above the upper part of main cornice there are three gables neatly arranged to the best advantage of the elevations.

Interior: The banking and manager's rooms are fitted up to date. The whole of the woodwork is of best Spanish mahogany, polished, and the ceiling is pannelled with enriched beams, etc. Adjoining the banking room is the manager's room. The hall, with its solid teak staircase, including strings, risers, treads, handrail, spandrill framing, massive carved newil posts and balusters, extending from ground floor to attic, is finished in the best of style and workmanship, and the floor is of oak boards in narrow widths polished. The 1st. floor is composed of a large drawing room mainly overlooking Castle Square and partly Pool Street. The floor is of polished parquetry. In addition, there is the dining room and morning rooms, all fitted in the same style. The kitchen, scullery, larder, pantry and lift are also on the same floor and conveniently placed. On the second floor are arranged three large bedrooms, a bathroom fitted up with the latest sanitary appliances, hot and cold water service throughout, linen room, lift, etc. The third floor also comprises three large bedrooms, boxroom, tankroom, lavatory, lift and other conveniences. Part of the basement is for use of the bank officials with access to the same directly from the banking room leading into the offices, yard, etc., etc., strong room, all fitted as before with store room, coals, etc. In the other portion of the basement there is provided a laundry, store rooms, coal and storage rooms, lift and offices arranged in the most convenient position for the sole use of the house.

The contract was let to Messrs. Williams and Roberts, Carnarvon. The painting and polishing were done by local firms, and the grates and chimney pieces were also supplied locally. The clerk of works was Mr. John Jones, Cefn Treflys, Portmadoc.


From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: April 17th. 1908.

OBJECTION TO FRENCH BOOKS

At a meeting of the governors of the County School, on Friday, Mr. J. Issard Davies (chairman) presiding, Mr. J. R. Pritchard asked the headmaster (Mr. J. de Gruchy Gaudin, M.A.), if he had received complaints with reference to the French books in use in the school, and whether it was a fact that some of those books were bordering on the obscene and immoral and not fit to be placed in the hands of children? He wished to further know whether the headmaster had communicated with the examiners. - The Headmaster said that he had, and added that it was a fact that some of the books were what had been stated. Two of the books had been withdrawn on that account. - Mr. J. R. Pritchard: I am very glad to hear that. I have heard complaints in the Education Committee and other places of the low moral tone of the books.


From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: May 1st. 1908.

TRAP ACCIDENT

An exciting incident was witnessed in Castle Square on Saturday afternoon. A horse attached to a trap, in which were Mrs. Vincent, wife of Mr. Hugh Vincent, solicitor, Bangor, and her two daughters, bolted in Segontium Terrace, and careered wildly through the Square, where many people were congregated. Mrs. Vincent and her younger daughter were thrown out and were picked up by Mr. S. W. Parnham, hairdresser, but the elder daughter kept her seat until the trap collided with a market car, when she was also thrown out. The trap turned a somersault, and the horse got free and increased its pace. It was, however, stopped before any further damage was done. The three ladies were fortunate in escaping with nothing more serious than shock.


From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: May 8th. 1908.

PERSONAL

Mr. O. R. Owen, printer, who has been confined to the house through illness, is progressing satisfactorily.


From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: May 22nd. 1908.

NEW BUSINESS PREMISES

Mr. W. Williams Jones' premises in Bangor-street has been recently improved, and are now amongst the most handsome and attractive establishments in the town. Mr. Jones does an extensive business as jeweller and watchmaker.


From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: May 29th. 1908.

CAMPING

Camping out is again popular. A number of men have pitched tents in a field near the Public Baths.


From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: June 5th. 1908.

ACCIDENT

On Monday evening, whilst a number of children were playing on Twthill, one of them, the little son of Mr. Meredith, baker, Margaret Street, fell into a deep hole commonly called Twll y Wrachen Gam. He sustained injuries to the head and was carried home in an unconscious state. He was attended by Dr. Parry, and is making satisfactory progress towards recovery.


From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: June 2th. 1908.

ATTRACTIVE STAND

A stand which attracted a good deal of attention at the Carnarvon horse show was that belonging to Messrs. R. Williams, Humphreys and Co., Brunswick Buildings, who exhibited a well-selected stock of agricultural implements and dairy utensils, hammock-chairs, garden-seats, and requisites; also general hardware goods, several of the latest designs in ornamental gates and railings, which are manufactured on their premises by their own workmen.


From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: June 19th. 1908.

THE FIRE BRIGADE

A flase alarm was given on Tuesday evening to test the efficiency of the fire brigade. Most of the men were at work at the time. They ran to the fire station, and were at the workhouse, their destination, within 12 minutes of the time the alarm was given. Of course, there was no fire, but the brigade proved their efficiency. It was a good job there was no outbreak of fire, for it was found that the pressure of water was insufficient.


From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: June 26th. 1908.

VISITORS

A large number of visitors have been seen in the town during this week. The Castle, of course, is the principal objective.


From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: June 26th. 1908.

IN CAMP

Twthill Bach has become a favourite place for campers. One tent has the protection of the Corporation, and is said to be rather severely "taxed."


From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: June 26th. 1908.

CLAIM FOR VALUE OF FURNITURE

At the County Court, on Wednesday, before his Honour Judge Moss, S. J. Bibby, furniture dealer, Palace-street, sued Hugh Hughes and his wife, Greengate-street, for 4. 4s. 6d., balance due for furniture. Mr. R. Roberts appeared for the plaintiff, for whom judgement was given for the full amount to be repaid by instalments of 5s. per month.


From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: July 3rd. 1908.

THE PUBLIC BATHS

A correspondent writes:- Inasmuch as the public baths are largely maintained out of the rates, could not the Town Council see their way to allow the poor children of the town to bathe there free of charge, say, from 8 till 9 p.m. I make the suggestion from the point of view of the health of the children.


From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: July 10th. 1908.

GENERAL ROWLANDS

General Sir Hugh Rowlands, the veteran Crimean soldier, is, we regret to say, lying ill at the Cottage Hospital, whither he was removed from Cheltenham, where he and Lady Rowlands have resided for some months. During the week a number of old residents visited the hospital, and had a chat with the General.


From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: July 17th. 1908.

EXTENSION OF PREMISES

Mr. R. J. George, draper, has brought the next-door shop, which was owned and occupied by Messrs. E. H. Owen and Son, the well-known auctioneers and drapers, for 1,800, with a view of extending his premises. Mr. Griffith Jones, solicitor, acted for the parties. Messrs. E. H. Owen and Son intend to confine themselves to the auctioneering and billposting business in Pool Side.


From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: July 24th. 1908.

IN BANKRUPTCY

At the Bangor County Court on Monday, before Judge Moss, the official Receiver in Bankruptcy (Mr. Llewelyn H. Jones) applied for a warrant in the case of Wm. Jones, of Church-street, Carnarvon, butcher, who, it was stated, has absconded. The application was granted.


From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: July 24th. 1908.

THE PUBLIC BATHS

Councillor H. Lloyd-Carter, in order to encourage bathing among the children of the elementary schools has kindly contributed 2 2s. to pay for tickets for boys in the higher standards of the elementary schools to go to the public baths two mornings each week.


From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: August 28th. 1908.

OTTER HUNT

The inhabitants were surprised to see strange men in strange uniforms walking along the streets on Saturday afternoon. It transpired that there had been an otter hunt that day, and that the hunters were making their way after some excellent sport to the Royal Hotel, where the otter were dismembered, according to custom.


From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: September 25th. 1908.

BAZAAR AT CARNARVON

The Seilo Bazzar in full swing.  K. Morris
The Seilo Bazzar in full swing. K. Morris

Carnarvon is a town of great meetings, great concerts, and great bazaars, and the greatness of its various gatherings is to be attributed to its accessibility, its conveniences and its Pavilion. Four bazaars, on a large scale, have been held in Carnarvon since the Pavilion was opened in 1877 - the Fancy Fair, in aid of the building fund of the Free Library; the bazaar in aid of the Moriah Chapel, when the famous Light Marine Infantry Band made their first acquaintance with a Carnarvon audience; the bazaar in aid of the County School; and the Church bazaar. Each was a great success, and the various objects for which the bazaars were held greatly benefitted. This week a bazaar, as important, and certainly as interesting, as any of the four mentioned, is being held in the Pavilion, and the objects (as stated in the elaborate programme, full of excellent pictures and useful information) are - to substantially reduce the debt of 3,000 which remains on the Shiloh C.M. Chapel, Carnarvon, and thereby, to facilitate the work of the church in its more spiritual aspects; and to meet the generous offer of Mr. Carnegie, who has promised to defray half the cost of an organ to aid in church praise. As everybody who knows something of the history of Nonconformity in Carnarvonshire, if not in North Wales, is aware, the pastor of the church is the Rev. J. E. Hughes, M.A., a popular preacher, a brilliant scholar, and a "hogyn o'r dre," as the natives of Carnarvon love to call one another. Mr. Hughes gives in a nutshell a history of the cause at Shiloh. "This church has an interesting history," he writes, "Originally, a mission school, opened in 1856, amongst the poor of the town at Tan'rallt, by a small band of devoted Christian workers from the Welsh Presbyterian churches, Moriah and Engedi, it soon developed into a mission church. This was founded in 1861. The building becoming too small, a new edifice was raised in 1869, close to the original "Siloh," at a total cost of 2,000. The good work still flourished, and this building in its turn becoming inadequate, the present "Siloh" was requisitioned and opened in 1900, at a total cost not far from 6,000. The original mission, under the name of "Siloh Bach," continues its excellent pioneer work under the auspices of the church. By the end of the year 1907 the total debt on the whole estate had been reduced to 3,000. When it is considered that the bulk of the members have always been, and still are, working people living on a weekly wage, and a few small farmers and tradesmen, it will perhaps be admitted that the efforts of the adherents have not been altogether lacking in zeal and determination." The people of Carnarvon can endorse the foregoing. They know how well the pastor and others have laboured in the great and good cause, and agree that they deserve every encouragement.

A bazaar of such magnitude could not have been held without there having been for some months past much preparation - patient, silent, and often weary work - by those connected with the chapel. There was the inevitable executive committee, without which the machinery could not have been set going. "Honour to whom honour is due," and it is certainly due to the following officers and members of the executive committee:- Chairman, Rev. J. E. Hughes, M.A., Bryn Peris; vice-chairman, Mr. G. O. Griffith, Bryn Llwyd; hon. treasurers, Mr. T. C. Dowell, Llys Aled; Mr. T. Owen, 39, Bangor-street; hon. secretaries, Mrs. J. E. Hughes, Bryn Peris; Mr. R. Jeffreys, 4, Market-street; Mr. John Owen, 18, Pool-street; the elders of the church, and the officers of the various sub-committees, together with Mrs. T. C. Dowell, Llys Aled; Mrs. J. L. Jones, Bryn Alun; Mrs. O. Jones, Bod Idris; Mrs. J. Owen, Gwynant; Mrs. T. Owen, 39, Bangor-street; Mrs. W. Owen, Bangor-street; Mrs. J. Rowlands, 15, New-street; Miss Janette Davies, Gwylfryn; Miss Jeffreys, 4, Market-street; Miss Roberts, 15, Hill-street; Miss Stewart, 9, Hill-street; Miss Williams, Hendre; Messrs. H. W. Ethall, 5, Hill-street; O. E. Hughes, 24, Marcus-street; J. Jones, 25, Garnon-street; R. W. Jones, M.A., Brynarlais; J. H. Lloyd, 36, Pool-side; J. W. Parry, 18, Tithebarn-street; J. Roberts, Rhosbodrual. The officers of sub-committees were: Finance Committee: Chairman, Mr. G. O. Griffith; secretary, Mr. John Owen, Gwynant. Musical Committee: Chairman, Mr. J. H. Lloyd; secretary, Mr. J. Lloyd Roberts. Decorating Committee: Chairman, Rev. J. E. Hughes, M.A.; secretary, Mr. R. Jeffreys. General Purposes Committee: Chairman, Mr. J. Roberts, Rhosbodrual; secretary, Mr. J. H. Owen, 27, Margaret-street. Entertainment Committee: Chairman, Mr. T. Williams, 51, Eleanor-street; secretary, Mr. D. J. Davies, 39, Eleanor-street. Advertising Committee: Chairman, Mr. T. C. Dowell; secretary, Mr. Ed. Ethall.

The bazaar is described as "French Watteau" Bazaar, Watteau being the name of a French scene-painter, who acquired great reputation on the Continent in the early part of the 17th. century. The Pavilion has been made to represent Watteau tea-gardens with Egyptian cafes, the decorations being after a French Watteau design by Messrs. Wilkinson, Martin, and Co., of Liverpool. The stalls, laden with a great variety of useful and ornamental articles - the handiwork mainly of ladies connected with Shiloh Church - are in charge of sprightly maidens and sedate matronly ladies, all in costume, and looking, one need hardly say, pretty and bewitching - so bewitching that a man succumbs to their entreaties to buy, and parts with his money, which, he is informed, goes towards a good object.

The following are the stall holders:-

MONT PELIER:- Mrs. O. Humphreys, Penygelli Farm; Mrs. H. Hughes, Pengelli Bank; Mrs. D. Hughes, Ty'n Twll; Mrs. Pritchard, Coedmarion; Mrs. E. Williams, 36, Victoria-street; Misses Dowell, Llys Aled; Annie Davies, Pengelli Wynn; M. J. Humphreys, Pengelli; Annie Humphreys, do.; Jones, Carreg-y-Garth; Lizzie Jones, do.; Williams, Hendre; Williams, 16, New-street; treasurer, Mrs. Dowell, Llys Aled; secretary, Miss Janet Davies, Gwylfryn.

VALENCE:- Miss Rees W. Hughes, 33, Garnon-street; Mrs. J. Hughes, Ty Coch; Mrs. J. Jones, 25, Garnon-street; Mrs. O. Jones, Park Lodge; Mrs. W. Herbert Jones, 11, Hole-in-the-Wall-street; Mrs. J. Owen, 33, Garnon-street; Mrs. W. Owen, 34, Bangor-street; Mrs. J. Owen, 10, Tithebarn-street; Mrs. R. Roberts, 15, Hill-street; Mrs. W. Roberts, 23, Garnon-street; Mrs. W. Williams, 16, Pool-lane; Misses Jannie Owen, 39, Bangor-street; J. Ellen Owen, 34, Bangor-street; Parry, 18, Tithebarn-street; Annie Roberts, 15, Hill-street; treasurer, Mr. T. Owen, 39, Bangor-street; secretary, Miss Roberts, 15, Hill-street.

ST. GERMAIN:- Mrs. W. H. Ethall, 5, Hill-street; Mrs. G. O. Griffith, Bryn Llwyd; Mrs. D. Hughes, Bro Hedd; Mrs. H. Hughes, 26, Pool-lane; Mrs. O. Jones, Bod Idris; Mrs. J. Gray Jones, 9, Gelert-street; Mrs. W. Jones, Gwydyr Cottage; Mrs. W. Lewis, 5, Segontium-terrace; Mrs. Rowlands, 3, Twthill-terrace; Mrs. J. Rowlands, 15, New-street; Mrs. Richard Williams, Maelgwyn; Mrs. R. Williams, 3, Alexandra-terrace; Misses G. Fuller, Bro Hedd; Jones, Bod Idris; Gwladys A. Jones, Bod Idris; Lewis, 5, Segontium-terrace; Roberts, 27, Margaret-street; Rowlands, 3, Twthill-terrace; Williams, 18, Tithebarn-street; treasurer, Mrs. J. L. Jones, Bryn Alun; secretary, Miss Hughes, 9, Gelert-street.

ST. QUENTIN:- Mrs. H. Edwards, 2, Victoria-street; Mrs. R. O. Ellis, Douglas Villa; Mrs. R. Jones, 3, Tithebarn-street; Mrs. R. Jones, 1, Constantine-terrace; Mrs. E. Lewis Jones, 36, Victoria-street; Mrs. R. Morris, 11, Newborough-street; Misses A. Jones, 10, Northgate-street; Jones, Cae Darbi; Owen, Douglas Villa; Roberts, Rhosbodrual; Nell Roberts, Rhosbodrual; Stewart, 9, Hill-street; Frances A. Williams, Pretoria; treasurer, Mrs. O. Williams, Bryn Seiont; secretary, Miss Jeffreys, 4, Market-street.

AGINCOURT:- Mrs. Ed. Ethall, 23, Edward-street; Mrs. E. Hughes, 7, Twthill-terrace; Mrs. J. Hughes, Gwyddfor; Mrs. J. E. Jones, Cynlas; Mrs. T. L. Owen, 9, Dinorwic-street; Mrs. Parry, 19, Bangor-street; Mrs. J. Lloyd Roberts, Maesteg; Mrs. Williams, Gwyddfor; Miss Pritchard, H. M. Prison; treasurer, Mrs. J. E. Hughes, Bryn Peris; secretary, Mrs. J. Owen, Gwynant.

VERSAILLES:- President, Mrs. H. Harries Hughes; treasuer, Mr. T. S. Thomas, L.T.S.C.; secretaries, Miss Hobley, Glan Helen; Mr. D. Jones, N. and S.W. Bank.

MORIAH YOUNG LADIES' SECTION:- Treasurer, Miss Williams, Llys Ellen; secretary, Miss Parry, Ty Newydd.

MORIAH YOUNG MEN'S SECTION:- Treasurer, Mr. E. D. Ellis; secretary, Mr. R. M. Roberts.

LIMOGES:- Presidents, Mrs. James Evans, Bronceris; Mrs. D. Hughes, Gwynfryn; treasurer, Mrs. D. Thomas, Bryngwyn; secretary, Mrs. A. H. Richards, Gwenallt; Mrs. Dand, Mrs. Daniel Evans, Mrs. D. O. Evans, Mrs. J. Gaudin, Mrs. J. De Gruchy Gaudin, Mrs. R. Jones, Mrs. R. Ll. Jones, Mrs. T. O. Jones, Mrs. W. Jones, Mrs. W. Morgan, Mrs. W. H. Parry, Mrs. R. Roberts, Mrs. T. R. Roberts, Mrs. W. M. Roberts, Mrs. Tasker, Mrs. Thompson, Mrs. Twist, Mrs. J. Williams, Mrs. R. D. Williams, Mrs. James Williams, Misses Hughes, Gwen Jones, Morris, H. L. Roberts, Shead, Thompson, Tasker, A. Williams, M. Williams, H. Williams.

FONTAINBLEAU:- President, Mrs. Nath Roberts; vice-president, Mrs. R. O. Roberts; Treasurer, Mrs. Gwenlyn Evans; secretaries, Miss Dora Eames, Miss Pattie Jones; committee, Mrs. Ellis James Jones, Mrs. W. R. Jones, Mrs. Davies, Bryn Beuno; Mrs. Williams, Metropolitan Bank; Mrs. William Jones, Mrs. W. J. Williams; Mrs. Roberts, Bod Gwilym; Mrs. J. Jones Williams, Mrs. D. W. Davies, Mrs. J. O. Jones, Mrs. Ellis, Mrs. White, Mrs. Williams, Caer Menai; Mrs. J. R. Hughes, Mrs. Tom Roberts, Mrs. R. Ellis Evans, Bron Eifion; Mrs. Williams, Segontium-terrace; Mrs. Hughes, Gwyndre; Mrs. Williams, Bontnewydd; Mrs. Owen, Bryn Dinas; Mrs. T. G. Jones; Mrs. W. Jones Williams, Mrs. Morris, Mrs. Jones, Bro Dawel; Mrs. Pugh, Mrs. Williams, Bron Meirion; Mrs. Jones, 3, Pool-street; Mrs. Griffith, Armor Cottage; Mrs. Jones, Bryn Hafod; Mrs. Williams, Cae Fron; Mrs. Parry, New-street; Mrs. Jones, Waterloo Port; Mrs. Humphreys, Market-street; Mrs. Hughes, New-street; Thomas.

L'ORIENT:- President, Mrs. Davies Bryan, Cairo; vice-president, Mrs. R. D. Rowland, Derwyn; treasurer, Mrs. Jones, Cartrefle; secretaries, Miss Parry, Bronydre; Miss Thomas, Glanmorfa; assisted by Mrs. Moses Evans, Bron Hendre; Mrs. Griffith, Roman Villa; Mrs. R. Lloyd Jones, Bryn Helen; Mrs. R. D. Roberts, Bryn Tawel; Misses Hughes, 3, Vaynol-road; Nell Williams, 3, Marcus-street; Kate Hughes, Pool-street; Edyth Williams, Bryn Awel; Roberts, Golden Goat; Olwen Davies Bryan, Gweno Davies Bryan, Manon Davies Bryan, Carys Davies Bryan.

MARSEILLES:- President, Mr. Robert Rogers, Pen-y-Wrach; treasurer, Mr. Robert Jones, 38, Pool-lane; secretary, Mr. O. E. Hughes, 24, Marcus-street; assisted by half a hundred good men and true.

Numerous entertainment have been provided in the shape of a museum, a shooting gallery, a scenic fishing pond, etc. Professor Ap Harri, the impersonator, cartoonist, and mimic, gives entertainments at frequent intervals, and a number of school children perform musical drills, under the supervision of Miss Janette Davies. There are also marionettes, cinematograph entertainment, and some amusing competitions in hat trimming, doll dressing, animal sketching, and nail driving. The Entertainments Committee, who have organised the entertainments, venture with all modesty to point out that they have endeavoured to afford those who visit the bazaar the very maximum of enjoyment, and they modestly suggest "that they may be trusted to tickle the palate of the most sensitive epicure in bazaar entertainments."

The chief attraction is the Band of the Royal Marine Artillery (conductor, Mr. B. S. Green), which is considered one of the finest bands in the United Kingdom. Their programme of music, popular and classical, is interesting and varied, and their magnificent playing calls forth unstinted praise from everybody who likes good music.

MR. LLOYD GEORGE OPENS THE BAZAAR

The bazaar was opened on Wednesday afternoon by the Right Hon. D. Lloyd George (Chancellor of the Exchequer). The Pavilion was very crowded when the opening ceremony began. Mr. and Mrs. Lloyd George, accompanied by their little son, Megan, appeared on the platform with the Mayor (Mr. Gwyneddon Davies), and the Rev. J. E. Hughes, and were warmly applauded, the band meanwhile playing "March of the Men of Harlech." A short prayer was offered by the pastor, and the Mayor gave a brief address as chairman. A bouquet was presented to Mrs. Lloyd George by Miss Nellie Hughes, the charming little daughter of Mr. Rees Hughes.

The Mayor, who presided, remarked that Mr. Lloyd George appeared that day on a public platform at Carnarvon for the first time as Chancellor of the Exchequer (cheers). Some months ago Mr. George stood on that platform as President of the Board of Trade, and he (the Mayor) then expressed the opinion that their illustrious countryman would achieve greater things and go still higher. They little thought then that Mr. Lloyd George's promotion would have taken place so soon (cheers). He congratulated the committee of the bazaar and the members and congregation of Shiloh on the fact that they had been able to prevail upon Mr. George to leave his multifarious duties and come to Carnarvon to open that bazaar (cheers). Mr. Lloyd George's presence at every meeting was a guarantee of the success of that meeting, and it was hoped that his presence there that day was a guarantee of the success of the bazaar (cheers).

Mr. George then delivered his speech, which will be seen in another column.


From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: September 25th. 1908.

PROPOSED NEW POST OFFICE

New premises were purchased some time ago for the purpose of extending the post office, but there does not appear to be any prospect of work being commenced. What is the difficulty?


From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: October 2nd. 1908.

OCTOGENARIAN BAPTISED

Among those who were baptised by immersion at the Caersalem Chapel on Wednesday evening was an old lady over 80 years of age.


From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: October 9th. 1908.

THE WATER SUPPLY

The water supply in some parts of the town is reported to be unsatisfactory, and on Tuesday night the Town Council, in committee, considered what steps should be taken to effect an improvement.


From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: November 11th. 1908.

CARNARVON'S NEW MAYOR

The new mayor of Carnarvon, Alderman J. P. Gregory, is a native of the town, and senior partner in the firm of Messrs. G. and J. P. Gregory, painters and decorators. The business was established seventy-six years ago.

Alderman Gregory has previously declined the mayoralty, and on this occasion he only consented to take office in consequence of exceptional circumstances arising from Mr. H. Lloyd Carter's much-regretted illness. Mr Gregory promised to fill the vacancy on condition that he should be allowed to transfer the post to Mr. Carter, should Mr. Carter so desire, upon his complete recovery.

Mr. Gregory has been a member of the Council for an uninterrupted period of 23 years, and at every election he has been returned at the head of the poll. He is now serving his second period as alderman, having been raised to the aldermanic bench eight years ago. He is a member of the Harbour Trust, a Justice of the Peace, chairman of the overseers, and has been parish warden for six years. He has the interests of the town close at heart, and may be depended upon to do his best for the ancient borough and uphold the dignity of the mayoralty during his tenure of office.



From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: December 25th. 1908.

SEASONABLE GIFTS

The Mayor of Carnarvon (Alderman J. P. Gregory, J.P.) has distributed a quantity of coal amongst the poor of the town, each recipient getting the very substantial amount of two cwts.


From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: December 25th. 1908.

XMAS DINNER TO THE POOR

The dinner will be served on Christmas Day at 12 noon, at the following bakehouses:- St. Helen's-street, Snowdon-street, Pool-hill, South-pen'rallt, and Bridge-street. It will be supplied in tin dishes, which will become the property of the recipients.



Alderman J. P. Gregory, Carnarvon's new Mayor. C.D.H. 13th. November, 1908.  K. Morris
Alderman J. P. Gregory, Carnarvon's new Mayor.
C.D.H. 13th. November, 1908. K. Morris


INDEX
  © 2003 - 2021 Keith Morris. All rights reserved