The Repository of all Things Historical for the Ancient Welsh Town of Carnarvon

  Castle Square, Carnarvon. Published by Williams & Hughes, Bridge Steet, 1850



What's New


List of Trades






Parish Chest


Caernarfon Ddoe/
Caernarfon's Yesterdays

Contact & Links



From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: January 7th. 1910.


Mr. Edward Hope, 51, Hendre-street, has been appointed a member of the fire brigade in succession to Mr. J. D. Jones, resigned.

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: January 7th. 1910.


At the Borough Police Court, on Monday, Captain Griffith, of the Church Army, said that certain persons blamed him for the sending of a boy from the town to an industrial school, and he felt that such an allegation reflected upon his character. - The Mayor (Alderman J. T. Roberts) said he was very sorry to hear Capt. Griffith's complaint, and informed the boy's mother, who was in court, that the whole responsibility for sending her boy away rested with the court.

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: January 7th. 1910.


Consequent upon the recent rowdyism, the Town Council do not feel inclined to allow the use of the Guild Hall to the Suffragettes without a deposit of 50.

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: January 21st. 1910.


With immediate possession, the FREEHOLD SHOP, 21, Palace Street, Carnarvon. Good steady trade in Flour, Bread, Cakes, etc. - Apply to M. and E. C. Williams on the premises.

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: February 4th. 1910.


A stained glass window has been erected at St. Mary's Church. It bears the following inscription: "To the Glory of God, as a memorial by the Officers of the IV, Royal Welsh Fusiliers Battalion, formerly Royal Carnarvon Militia, raised 1779, disbanded 1907."

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: February 11th. 1910.


Mr. E. Ellis Jones, from the establishment of Mr. Jones, chemist, Castle Square, has left to take up duties in Paris.

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: February 18th. 1910.


Mr. Hugh Jones, shipwright, Castle Street, is recovering from a very serious illness.

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: February 18th. 1910.


A member of the local postal staff has been good enough to supply us with the following particulars respecting Mr. Lewis Jonathan Jones, rural postman, who retired on Superannuation last week. Mr. Lewis Jones was in the postal service for 37 years. His duties involved a daily walk of 17 miles, and it is estimated that during his service as rural postman he walked, in round figures, 180,000 miles; and delivered 1,100,000 letters; his daily average being 100. It is the intention of his fellow employees, as is always the custom, to make him a suitable presentation.

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: February 25th. 1910.


Mr. E. T. Hall, the borough surveyor, acted in a generous manner on Monday towards a man who had on the previous Saturday evening used abusive language towards him. The man was Hugh Angel, Mount Pleasant-terrace, who was charged at the Borough Sessions with having been drunk and disorderly. Mr. Hall testified that Angel came to him on Saturday very drunk, and used very abusive language, presumably because he had not been provided with work in connection with the sewer opening on Castle-square. Angel was fined 7s. 6d. and costs. Mr. Hall immediately paid two shillings and the defendant was allowed time to pay the rest of the fine. - Mr. Hall added that a workman was going through the town collecting subscriptions towards buying a shovel, stating that he (Mr. Hall) had given him work on the sewer. That was quite untrue.

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: March 4th. 1910.


The crew of the ketch "Vivid," on Thursday picked up the dead body of a woman of the age of about 40 off the beach at Porthaml. On their arrival in the harbour they handed the body over to the police, who identified it as that of Mary Jones, of Baptist-street. She was seen in the town the previous evening. An inquest will be held to-day.

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: March 11th. 1910.


St. Mary's Church is shortly to be restored at an estimated cost of 3000. Sir W. H. Preece, K.C.B., has promised 250 towards repairing the organ.

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: March 11th. 1910.


Mr. Pentir Williams, coroner, held an inquest on Friday afternoon, touching the death of Mary Jones, 58 years of age, of 41, Baptist-street, whose dead body was picked up by the crew of the "Vivid," near Porthaml, the previous day. It appeared that deceased and another woman named Elizabeth A. Griffith, 38, Baptist-street, had a drink together at deceased's house. They went out, deceased being under the influence of drink, and proceeded towards a hawker's van stationed on the far end of the slate quay. Deceased was invited inside and after being there for nearly 45 minutes Mrs. Elizabeth James, the owner of the van, tendered her a two-shilling piece to go for beer. That was the last seen of her when alive. Her body was found the next day as described. Medical evidence went to show that deceased died from suffocation following a shock. There were slight abrasions on the face, such as might have been caused by the fall or contact with something in the water. There were no marks of violence on the body. The jury returned a verdict that deceased fell into the water and was killed. The Coroner explained that, as a matter of science, deceased was not drowned but received a shock from the coldness of the water, she being in a state of inebriation at the time. On the motion of the foreman (Mr. Thomas Jones), seconded by Mr. Nefydd Jones, a rider was passed suggesting that the Harbour Trust should fix some protection on the spot, it being now dangerous for children and others.

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: March 18th. 1910.




This week the journey from Carnarvon to Llanaelhaiarn has been shortened by two-thirds its former length. The transformation has been worked as by magic, but the fact remains that we can now travel to Llanaelhaiarn in less than an hour whereas it took three hours to cover the same distance last week. This great public convenience has been brought about by the formation of a company styled "Carnarvon Motors Limited," which aims at improving the travelling facilities in the rural districts surrounding Carnarvon. A 30 h.p. Thornycroft motor char-a-banc has been purchased to run daily between Carnarvon and Llanaelhaiarn and to convey parties during the afternoons to Dinas Dinlle, around Snowdon, or to any other place where trips can be arranged. These excursions will not, of course, interfere with the regular service to Llanaelhaiarn. By and bye, it is intended to purchase a second motor for the Ebenezer route, and this service will be inaugurated as soon as the company is assured of adequate support in that district. It is also intended to make an application for the conveyance of the postal mails.

The Company is fortunate in having Mr. R. J. George for its managing director and Mr. J. Lloyd Roberts for its secretary, while the following constitute the board of directors:- Messrs. Owen Jones, J.P., Glanbeuno (ex-High Sherrif of the County); D. T. Lake, J.P., David Roberts, J.P., W. Hesketh Hughes, Carnarvon; A. H. Wheeler, Trevor; W. H. Buxton (manager Messrs. Thornycroft's motor vehicle dept.), and Dr. Rowlands, Llanaelhaiarn. Applications for shares are now being received, and the present number of shareholders is about fifty, the shares (1 each) being held in blocks of from fifty to five.

The inaugural trip to Llanaelhaiarn, which was run on Monday, was highly successful, Llanaelhaiarn being reached in exactly forty minutes from the time of starting from Castle-square. The char-a-banc started with its complement of passengers, among whom were the Mayor (Mr. J. T. Roberts), Mr. Charles A. Jones and Mr. D. T. Lake, though the two former travelled only a part of the way. A goodly number of people watched the departure of the party.

We reached Bontnewydd (writes one of the passengers) five minutes after we left Castle-square. Another five minutes brought us to Llanwnda, and seven minutes later we had dashed through Coed y Glyn and were looking back upon Dinas Dinlle. The weather was dry though slightly cold, and the drive was exhilarating. The char-a-banc, which seats 20 or 25 people, is a most comfortable vehicle to drive in. There was a minimum of vibration as may be gathered from the fact that I wrote some of these notes while we were travelling at top speed. The wind was perhaps a little keen in front, but this defect has since been remedied by the provision of a glass screen. The char-a-banc may be covered so as to shut out the rain on a wet day, and the arrangement came in useful later on when we were overtaken by a shower. In winter, however, the char-a-banc body will be replaced by a bus body so as to afford additional protection from the elements.

We had climbed the Llanaelhaiarn hill in forty minutes from the time of starting from Carnarvon. Here we were joined by the local directors of the Company, who were naturally much interested in the motor's first visit. Our stay was not long, but a good number of people gathered round to admire the char-a-banc and test the motor horn. It surprised them to learn that we had come all the way from Carnarvon in forty minutes, but by this time it is probable that many of them have personally experienced the pleasure of travelling in the motor char-a-banc. The journey to Carnarvon will no longer take a solid three hours of the precious time of the good folk of Llanaelhaiarn. Instead of having to spend half a day on the road, getting but little time at Carnarvon, they can now go to market in the morning and return by dinner time or start in the afternoon and return early in the evening. What used to occupy them a whole day may now be accomplished in half a day, so that really Carnarvon Motors Ltd. may be said the have lengthened their week by a good half day!

After a stay of half-an-hour or so at Llanaelhaiarn we journeyed as far as Pwllheli before returning to Carnarvon. The return journey was accomplished in good time and without a hitch. We got to Llanaelhaiarn in less than twenty-five minutes and reached Carnarvon in another forty-three minutes.

It is to be hoped that the new Company will have a successful career. It deserves well at the hands of the public, for by connecting Carnarvon with inconveniently situated villages the trade of the town should benefit considerably. The Company has secured the co-operation of some of the carriers in the Llanaelhaiarn district, and will no doubt take over the business which they used to do. Llanaelhairan, Llithfaen, Trevor and Clynnog are important villages which ought to provide the Company with plenty of carrying work especially on market and fair days, and there are also such places as Gyrn Goch, Pontllyfni, Dinas Dinlle, Llandwrog, Llanwnda and Bontnewydd close to or directly on the route. In addition to the regular service to Llanaelhaiarn a great deal of business will be done in summer by arranging tours of the Pass of Llanberis, returning via Beddgelert, or by running trips to Dinas Dinlle and other places which attract visitors. It is pointed out that pic-nic parties might well be arranged to any place on the Llanaelhaiarn route, and the Company has been assured by the local directors at Llanaelhaiarn that facilities will be provided there for picknicking during the summer, a field being placed at their disposal free of charge. The whole district abounds in objects of historical and archaeological interest, notably Tre'r Ceiri and Clynnog Church.

For the present the following is the time table, and special excursions must be arranged so as not to interfere with the regular service:-


Carnarvon dep. Llanaelhaiarn arr.
8.0 a.m. 9.0 a.m.
5.0 p.m. 6.0 p.m.
Llanaelhaiarn dep. Carnarvon arr.
9.15 a.m. 10.15 a.m.
6.15 p.m. 7.15 p.m.


Carnarvon dep. Llanaelhaiarn arr.
8.0 a.m. 9.0 a.m.
12.0 noon 1.0 p.m.
5.0 p.m. 6.0 p.m.
Llanaelhairarn dep. Carnarvon arr.
9.0 a.m. 10.0 a.m.
1.30 p.m. 2.30 p.m.
6.0 p.m. 7.0 p.m.

The fares will remain at the same figure as hitherto. It is unlikely that the car will be run to Llanaelhaiarn on Thursdays, the idea being to run special trips for the benefit of those who take their half-holiday on that day. In the matter of conveyance of passengers and parcels, as well as the booking of seats for special tours preference will be given to those who are shareholders in the company.

The first excursion trip run by the company was a tour of the Pass of Llanberis on Thursday afternoon. The car started with its complement of passengers at 2.10. Penypass was reached by 3.5, and Beddgelert at 3.45. The party took tea at the Saracen's Head Hotel, and resumed the trip at 4.45, Carnarvon being reached at 5.35. It is seldom that vehicles touring the Pass start in the direction of Llanberis, for the Beddgelert road does not offer such stiff climbing as Llanberis. The long steep hill from Nantperis to Penypass is a severe test, but the car ran right to the top at second speed. All the passengers were loud in their praises of the outing, and their enthusiastic approval augurs well for the future of these tours.

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: April 1st. 1910.


At the Oval on Good Friday, a football match was played between the Railway employees, Married v Single. The former won by 5 goals to 3. The Proceeds went to benefit an employee who is in indifferent health.

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: April 8th. 1910.


A meeting was held on Thursday to consider the question of the site of the proposed higher standard school for the town. Mr. Richard Davies, of Portmadoc (chairman of the Building Committee of the Education Authority), presided, and there were also present representatives of the Education Committee, the Town Council, and school managers. The proceedings were carried on in camera, but it is understood that no definite decision was arrived at. The meeting was adjourned for a week.

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: April 8th. 1910.


Victoria Mills after the fire.  K. Morris
Victoria Mills after the fire. K. Morris



A disastrous fire broke out at the Victoria Mills, Carnarvon, on Friday night. The mills which are the property of Mr. John Prichard, were burnt down, and all the contents were destroyed, nothing being left but the bare charred walls.

The building, which was of red brick, was erected about 15 years ago by the late Mr. David Williams, builder, to plans drawn by Mr. John Evans, surveyor. It stands on the edge of the new harbour, being also some seventy or eighty yards removed from the water's edge on the west side. It was the highest building in the vicinity.

It appears that the fire broke out in the machinery department in the basement, between five and six o'clock. An alarm was raised about ten minutes to six, and twenty minutes later the fire brigade, under the command of Captain Conlan, arrived on the scene. They first attempted to draw their water supply from the Menai Straits; but the tide being at a greater depth than 15 feet, which, it was stated, was the maximum suction capacity of the engine, no water was available from that source. A hose was connected to a hydrant, from which water was pumped into a tank, whence it was again pumped by the engine, and conveyed by a single hose to the scene of the fire. But so inadequate was this supply that it had to be replenished by means of buckets carried by relays of Boy Scouts, who did excellent work. More than half an hour elapsed before any water was brought to play upon the fire. Smoke issued in increasing volumes from the basement, and gradually it spread throughout the building, the flames finding an exit through the doors of the various storeys and the roof.

Despite an increased effort on the part of the men to cope with the fire, it was soon evident that the entire building was doomed.

After burning for two hours the flames shot through the doors and windows, and soon after the roof became involved. Flames and sparks went up, and were visible for miles around, and young men in large numbers cycled down at a late hour from Llanrug, Bontnewydd, Llanwnda, etc. The scene as witnessed from Angelesey was panoramic.

Baffled in their efforts to save the mill and its contents, the firemen devoted themselves to protecting the adjoining office, and the caretaker's house, from which all the books and furniture had been removed in safety. The efforts of the firemen in this direction averted further disaster. There was only a slight breeze, which blew in a south-easterly direction, otherwise the results would have been far more serious owing to the close proximity of extensive slate works and the Corporation electricity works.

A ship load of stuff was consigned to the mill only the previous day, and most of the damage was covered by insurance.

The progress of the fire was watched by hundreds of people who took their stand all round the dock.

On Saturday, it was found that nothing but the bare brick walls of the building were left standing, and within there was a smouldering, indistinguishable mass of blackened corn intermixed with the remains of the woodwork and the machinery. Smoke continued to issue from this heap throughout Saturday, and also on Sunday, when the brigade attended from seven o'clock at night till ten. One of the heavy iron girders supporting the second floor had fallen, bent and twisted by the heat; but all the others, most of which were slightly bent, retained their position.

The damage, which is covered by insurance, is estimated at about 6000. No lives were lost.


At a meeting of the Harbour Trust on Tuesday, the Surveyor (Mr. W. Bowen Jones) in his report referred to the fire.

Mr. J. R. Pritchard asked whether it was customary to issue a report so soon.

The Surveyor: It is perhaps rather premature to make a report. I was present at the works on Monday afternoon with Mr. Prichard and the assessor.

On the motion of the Chairman (Mr. Issard Davies), seconded by the Vice-Chairman (Sir W. H. Preece), a vote of sympathy was passed with Mr. Prichard, who, the Chairman observed, had insured the property heavily. Mr. Prichard is a member and a tenant of the Trust.


Reference was also made to the matter at a meeting of the Town Council on Tuesday night, when the Mayor (Alderman J. T. Roberts) moved a vote of deep sympathy with Councillor John Prichard, in the difficult position in which he finds himself placed by reason of the fire. The Mayor said he was glad to understand that the property was well covered by insurace, but the occurrence, no doubt, meant a serious dislocation of business.

Mr. A. H. Richards seconded, and several members endorsed the Mayor's remarks.

The motion was carried unanimously.


The Mayor said he had been informed of many adverse criticisms of the failure of the fire brigade to get the fire engine out, and also of their failure to get the fire under control in proper time. In fairness to the brigade and everybody else, he thought the best plan would be to appoint a small committee to investigate as to what really took place on Friday night, and what should be done to improve the service.

Alderman Edward Hughes: Is there a report from the captain?

Mr. Angel: The report will come in the ordinary course.

Mr. Hall (surveyor): The report has been handed to the committee, but it was not intended to bring it forward at this meeting.

The Mayor: Personally, I think no time should be lost.

Alderman D. T. Lake: Won't it come before the Highway Committee

Mr. Angel: It is hardly fair to mention anything before the captain's report is first of all considered.

The Mayor: I am not finding fault with the brigade. I am taking the first opportunity to have the matter cleared up. There should be a committee, because there has been fault-finding, not that it should be.

Alderman E. Hughes: That was why I asked the question whether the captain's report had been reveived. We all agree that it is a very important matter for us to take the first step, in order to be able to cope with a similar occurrence in future.

Alderman R. Parry: If we shall not be satisifed with the committee's report, another committe, if necessary, will be appointed.

The Mayor: I hope it will not be necessary.

Alderman Edward Hughes: We all agree that the Highway Committee should be called soon to consider the matter. I move a resolution to that effect.

Alderman D. T. Lake seconded, and this was agreed to.


Captain Conlan told a "Herald" representative that the brigade was in perfect order. When he got to the scene, he found that the fire had got a good hold on the building. The firemen had already arrived, and were playing a hose reel on the fire. When going along the quay he heard the fire alarm being given. The fire engine arrived in a few minutes. The men were greatly handicapped owing to the exceedingly small supply of water, there being only a three-inch main on the dock side, and as the tide was receding they found it impossible to get a proper supply from the sea. In fairness to the brigade it should be stated that they were on the scene before they were officially summoned. They did their best to extinguish the fire.


Mr. D. O. Evans, electrical engineer, says that the fire originated in the exhaust chamber of the gas engine plant, and was not caused by the fusing of an electric lamp.

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: April 8th. 1910.


(To the Editor of the "Herald")

Sir, - Will you allow me space to call attention to the very serious fire that took place at Mr. Prichard's mill? I happened to be there just 15 minutes after the alarm bell rang, and as I was going along Market-street the brigade was just leaving. This, I should say, was about 6.10 p.m. I was on the scene the same time as the fire engine arrived. If our brigade had located the fire and were acquainted with the position of the hydrants, I believe they could have managed the fire alright, and probably have saved the mill from destruction. Fair play to the men, they were most willing - really, much too willing, because they seemed to be running about at the command of every Dick, Tom, and Harry. Why didn't these people leave the management of the fire entirely in the hands of the superintendent of the brigade? He would then have his men under better control, and would only have to stand in one position and give orders. It is not after fire has broken out that the working be tested. This should be done almost every day. I saw them failing to pump water from a depth of about 20ft. with this powerful engine; whereas an ordinary yard pump will draw from a depth of 25 feet. If the bore of the suction pipe is too big, why not procure one of a smaller size? It is all very well to compete in different trials, but we should be prepared for the real trial when it comes. What if a high wind had been blowing, and the fire had taken place say in Bridge-street? What would have become of the whole street?

I suggest that the corporation engage say a retired Liverpool fireman, to train our men. They should know the whereabouts of all the hydrants, and get one practice a week in different parts of the town, so as to be better able to attack fires. - Your, etc., ONLOOKER.

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: April 15th. 1910.


On Saturday afternoon the Boy Scouts, to the number of 20, marched to Menai Bridge, where they were entertained to tea by Mr. and Mrs. J. R. Davies, of Ceris. In the evening the boys gave a display of signalling and ambulance work on the lawn, and were presented with a fine flagstaff for the scout-room at Penywal.

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: April 22nd. 1910.


On Tuesday, May 3, Gen. Sir Baden Powell will review the Boy Scouts in the Castle Grounds. The same week he will also visit Bangor.

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: April 22nd. 1910.


At the Borough Police Court on Monday, an occasional licence was granted to Mr. H. H. Jones, of the County Hotel, to sell beer, wine, and spirits at the North Wales Horse Show on Whit Monday.

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: April 29th. 1910.


During the work of restoration which is being carried out at St. Mary's Church, a piscina has been found in the wall close to the altar. The basin, the lower part of which has been demolished, dates back in all probability to the fourteenth century, and was plastered over some eighty years ago when the church was being renovated.

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: April 29th. 1910.


Whilst working at the Victoria Mills, the scene of the recent fire, Mr. F. Hickson had a narrow escape from death on Thursday. He was engaged close to one of the walls, and had just cleared off, when the top portion of it toppled over en masse.

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: May 6th. 1910.


A movement is on foot to establish a town band. The question is to be brought up next week.

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: May 6th. 1910.


The work of enlarging the Post Office has been taken in hand this week. Four houses in Chapel Street are being utilized. Mr. Richard Jones, Llandwrog, is the contractor.

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: May 6th. 1910.



Shocking relevations were made at the Carnarvon Borough Police Court on Monday, when Jane Ellen Griffith, 9 Skinner-street, was brought up on a charge of having neglected her two children, a girl aged twelve years, and a boy aged six. Alderman J. R. Pritchard, and Messrs. D. T. Lake, and Edward Hughes, were on the Bench, and Mr. Gordon Roberts (Messrs. Nee and Gordon Roberts), appeared to prosecute on behalf on the N.S.P.C.C.

Advert for Nefydd Jones. C.D.H. 7th. January, 1910.  K. Morris
Advert for Nefydd Jones. C.D.H. 7th. January, 1910.
K. Morris

Inspector Roberts stated that he visited 9 Skinner-street, on 20 April. He found the girl poorly nourished, dirty, head sore, verminous, and poorly clad. The boy was in a similar condition, but a little better nourished. The floors of the kitchen and parlour were in a very dirty condition. It was difficult to know whether the floors were of soil or wood. They were supposed to be wooden. There was no food or fire in the place, and the furniture consisted of a table and one or two chairs. From the kitchen there was a hole leading into the cellar. Here there was half a cart-load of ashes and other refuse, and the stench was terrible. Two of the bedrooms were unoccupied, and dirty. The front bedroom, which was used as a sleeping apartment, contained no bedstead, only two mattresses with the straw coming out. An old coat served as pillow. The defendant made the excuse that she had been unwell, and was poor.

Mr. G. J. Roberts, school attendance officer, said the smell was such as to make him sick.

Mr. Evan Roberts, sanitary inspector, said the house was very dilapidated and dirty, in consequence of which the Medical Officer visited the house with him on 19 February. As a result of his report, a closing order was made in March by the Town Council.

Dr. Evans, attributed the filthy condition of the house to absolute laziness. He could not say from the woman's appearance that she was ill.

John Griffith, defendant's husband, said the dirt was in the house before they went there. "Poverty," he added, "makes men despondent and careless."

The Bench decided to give the defendant a month's imprisonment, and upon hearing the result John Griffith said: "Shame on you! Shame on you!" He then created a scene by crying aloud, and appealing to be sent to prison in her place. In the end he was taken out by the police.

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: May 6th. 1910.



At a meeting of the Carnarvon Town Council, on Tuesday, the sub-committee appointed to confer with Mr. Rowland Lloyd Jones, architect, on the question of the extension of the Institute Buildings, reported having finally agreed upon the plans which Mr. Jones, acting under their instructions, has prepared. The proposed extension is in line with the present building and consists of a basement, and first and second floors. The sub-committee decided that the basement would serve admirably for the provision of baths, which are most urgently needed in Carnarvon, and which can, in this way, be obtained at a very small cost. In the plans submitted provision has been made for ten baths, the idea being for men and women to use the baths on alternate nights. On the first floor it is proposed to accommodate the library. The room on the second floor has been designed provisionally, for a Council Chamber and Committee Room, but should accomodation be required for any other purpose, for a museum for instance, the necessary alterations could be very easily carried out. The renewed agitation for the re-establishment of the town's museum has led the sub-committee to consider this question also. Should the Council decide to do anything in this matter, the sub-committee are of opinion that the best course to adopt would be to locate the museum in the newsroom and library in cases arranged along the walls and distributed about the rooms and staircase. There are many advantages to be gained by arranging the museum in this manner. The services of a special curator would not be required, as the librarian or the assistant librarian would be in constant attendance; further, the d. rate (the maximum which the Council may levy for this purpose), which in other circumstances would prove quite insufficient, would in this case probably meet all requirements and leave something over. From the point of view of the public there is everything to be said for a scheme which places the museum collection immediately under the notice of all the frequenters of the public library and newsroom. In this way the collection will be inspected by many who would never make a special visit to a museum located in a separate room.

At a meeting of the Council in committee it was resolved that, in accordance with the Finance Committee's recommendation, the town clerk should write to the Harbour Trustees, giving particulars of the proposed extensions, and asking for a grant in aid. The report of the Mayor and town clerk as to the line of building was allowed to stand over until the next meeting. - The architect estimates the total cost at 2850, and it was decided to apply to the Local Government Board for a loan.

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: May 27th. 1910.


It is expected that before long it will be possible to proceed with the re-erection of the Victoria Mills, which were recently destroyed by fire.

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: June 3rd. 1910.


We are informed that 50 persons have already expressed their desire to become members of the proposed town band.

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: June 10th. 1910.


An unusual accident occurred at the Railway Station on Wednesday. It appears that early in the afternoon a man took a case of mineral waters to the ladies waiting-room which is under the charge of Mrs. Jones, William-street. As the man was in the act of placing the case on the floor, as many as eleven of the bottles exploded, and Mrs. Jones, who happened to be standing close by was severely injured in the face. Her injuries were in the first instance attended to by Mr. Hodkinson, ticket collector, who is also the chief ambulance officer of the company here. Medical aid was then summoned. The unfortunate lady is reported to be recovering.

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: July 1st. 1910.


Next Thursday, a cycle carnival and fancy dress parade will be held. All the competitors will muster in the Square early in the evening and form into a procession, which will go through our principal streets, led by the Cynfi Brass Band, and then over the Aber Bridge, as the judging will be done near the baths. The proceeds are to go to the Cottage Hospital and the Rowing Club. It is many years since we had a similar event in Carnarvon.

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: July 8th. 1910.


The old premises of the National Provincial Bank are now being renovated for the purpose of the Labour Exchange, which will, according to a notice exhibited there, be open shortly.

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: July 15th. 1910.


The receipts of the carnival from all sources amounted to about 25, and the expenditure will probably reach to half that sum. The balance is to be handed over to the Cottage Hospital and the Rowing Club.

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: August 12th. 1910.


The County Education Authority met on Thursday to consider tenders for the erection of a higher standard school for Carnarvon. No decision was arrived at.

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: August 12th. 1910.


We understand that this movement is already well supported. Further subscriptions will be thankfully received by the Secretary, Mr. G. D. Roberts, Dinorwic-street.

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: August 12th. 1910.

On Sunday about 50 porpoises were seen in the vicinity of the Aber Bridge.

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: August 12th. 1910.




Dr. Parry Edwards, medical officer of health, has just submitted his report to the Carnarvon Town Council on the health of the borough for the past year. The borough area includes 2216 acres, and the estimated population for June, 1909 is given as 9723.

The report states that there were registered during the year 186 births, or at the rate of 19.1 per 1000 of population. The birth rate was lower by 3.1 per 1000 than in 1908, and was the lowest on record.

The deaths from all causes numbered 159, or at the rate of 16.3 per 1000 of population. Of these, 4 were deaths on non-residents, while on the other hand, one death of a person belonging to Carnarvon occurred in the Bangor Infirmary. Taking these deaths into consideration, a corrected death rate of 16.0 per 1000 is obtained. The average gross death rate during the previous ten years was 19.7 per 1000, and the corrected death rate 18.6 per 1000. The death rate was lower by 0.7 per 1000 than in 1908, and 2.6 per 1000 below the average for the prvious ten years. This was also the lowest on record.

Advert for R. Williams Humphreys' sale. C.D.H. 25th. March, 1910.  K. Morris
Advert for R. Williams Humphreys' sale. C.D.H. 25th. March, 1910. K. Morris

The deaths among infants under one year of age numbered 18, or at the rate of 97 per 1000 registered births. Of these three were of infants under one month old. This was a decrease at the rate of 79 per 1000 registered births in 1908, and 55 per 1000 births below the ten year's average.

The deaths from the principal zymotic diseases numbered 9, or at the rate of 0.93 per 1000 of population. The town had been free from epidemics, only one fatal case occurring from the scheduled fevers.

Deaths from Tuberculosis: Twenty-four deaths were caused by tubercular diseases, or at the rate of 2.4 per 1000 population. The average death rate from tuberculosis during the previous eight years was 2.6 per 1000. The death rate from tuberculosis has increased by 0.6 per 1000, which is regretable. The better housing conditions which one contemplates for the artisans would improve matters.

Deaths from cancer: To cancer are ascribed 17 deaths, or at the rate of 1.6 per 1000 of population. The average death rate from cancer during the previous seven years was 1.1 per 1000. This rate has increased.

The sanitary inspector had experienced difficulty in having houses disinfected and cleansed after infectious and other diseases, owing to lack of accommodation, and the medical officer desired to bring to the notice of the Council the advisability of procuring premises where a family could reside during the time their house is being disinfected and cleansed.

A good and plentiful supply has been maintained throughout the year. The chemical and bacteriological analysis done in June proved that the water was chemically good and free from sewage organisms.

The medical officer reported on the existing custom of women resorting to the tipping ground for the collection of coke, rags, etc. They enjoyed remarkably good health. The advisability of procuring a destructor was an important matter for the Council. He also reported in March on the disposal of house refuse placed in unsuitable receptacles on the kerb stones. Notices were sent out, but many of the better class houses are without proper sanitary bins. Further action will be necessary, as a large number of houses are not supplied with ashpits or suitable bins as required by Act of Parliament.

The artisans' dwellings in certain parts of the town are poor. This is especially so in Mountain-street, Baptist-street, Well-street, Mount Pleasant-square, and some courts. The council have this question in hand, and with the help of the Town Planning Bill improvements are anticipated.

Food supply: The objectionable method of exposing meat outside shops ought to be discouraged, as it is liable to be contaminated by animals. The milk shops were fair, but left much to be desired in the storing of milk. Frequently milk was kept near the odourferous articles. There were 83 dairies, cowsheds, and milkshops in the borough. A marked improvement was gradually taking place in the cowsheds. This had been got by continual applications. All the dairies and cowsheds supplying milk to the borough were inspected during the year. Some of the buildings were ancient, and in some cases the cattle were not "groomed," and absence of soap and water was frequent. The Cae Mawr cowshed was closed for reconstruction. The Dairymen's Association had under consideration the suggestion of having cattle tested for tuberculosis consumption, and their premises inspected periodically, a certificate to be displayed on the cart announcing the fact. The Council are making inquiries re the water supply to the dairy farms in the borough, and it is hoped that most of them will be supplied from the town mains. The milk floats are clean. The Council drew the attention of the dairymen to the objectionable custom of carrying articles which might contaminate the milk in the floats. This has been, to a great extent, discontinued.

There are 25 bakehouses in the borough, five of which are underground. They are periodically inspected, and their general sanitary condition is satisfactory.

The elementary school children are being admitted to the swimming baths. Public baths in the town would be most serviceable, as most of the artisan dwellings have no bathrooms.

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: August 19th. 1910.


Mrs. Pankhurst is announced to address a meeting in the town on Saturday under the auspices of the Women's Social and Political Union. The meeting, which will be for women only, will be presided over by Dr. Helena Jones.

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: August 19th. 1910.


It transpires that the lowest tender for the erection of the higher standard school is 10,000. The clerk to the Education Authority points out that it was at first intended that the school should be little more than an ordinary elementary school, and the Carnarvon managers passed a resolution even before the question of the price of the land was settled that 6500 should be about the limit of the expenditure. But when the county architect came to prepare the scheme he found that taking into account the extra facilities to be provided at the school, it was quite impossible to carry out the work at the sum fixed by the Carnarvon managers.

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: September 9th. 1910.


Late on Tuesday night or early on Wednesday morning, Mr. Evans's tannery in Skinner-street was burglariously entered and about 2 10s. in money taken away.

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: September 9th. 1910.


There have been many more visitors in the town this year than last, but they have stayed only for a few hours. This is probably due to the fact that there is no accommodation for visitors. The residents, it is said, have so much false pride, that they will not let appartments.

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: September 9th. 1910.


Once more the question of a public cemetery is exercising the minds of the Town Council. At a meeting of the Council in committee a report was submitted giving particulars as to the negotiations which had taken place with Mr. Harding respecting the site of the proposed burial ground, an estimate of the cost of contstruction, and a forecast of the probable effect of the adoption of the scheme upon the rates. It was resolved to ascertain from Mr. Harding whether Mr. Assheton Smith would be disposed to sell the site in question for 1000.

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: September 16th. 1910.


The publicity given to the town as a result of the announcement that the investiture is to take place in the Castle is already bearing fruit, visitors being attracted who would not otherwise have come into the town.

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: September 16th. 1910.


Beulah-square was well represented at the Police Court on Monday when a case of assault, in which two women were concerned, was heard at considerable length. The complainant, for whom Mr. Nath Roberts appeared, was Mrs. Ellen Roberts, 5, Beulah-square; and the defendant, represented by Mr. Hamlet Roberts, was her next door neighbour, Mrs. Margaret Griffith, wife of a sea captain. There was a cross-summons for assault. It was alleged that Mrs. Griffith struck Mrs. Roberts in the face. One of the witnesses for the prosecution was a young girl named Rachel Jackson, who admitted that she called after the defendant, "There goes the broken-down swell." - Mr. Roberts: Are you on friendly terms with Mrs. Griffith? - The Witness: would you be on friendly terms with her if she threatened you? (laughter). - The defendant went into the witness box and denied the assault. She had never touched the complainant, but the latter had thrown a stone at her. - Mr. Roberts: Is it a fact that when you thought you were going to depart from this world you invited your enemies into your bedroom to make peace with them? - The Witness: No (cries of "Oh" from several women). - A fine of 2s. 6d. and costs was imposed upon Mrs. Griffith, and the cross-summons was dismissed.

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: September 16th. 1910.




In view of the fact that next year will be an important one in the history of Carnarvon there is much speculation as to who will be mayor. It is probable that whoever will be chief magistrate will receive an honour at the hands of the King. Several well known gentlemen are mentioned in connection with the mayoralty, including:-

Mr. J. T. Roberts (the present mayor).
Mr. J. Issard Davies.
Mr. Edward Roberts, Maesincla.
Mr. Charles A. Jones.
Mr. Assheton Smith, etc.

The names of several other gentlemen are mentioned, most of whom, however, are ineligible for election inasmuch as they are not on the burgess list. Mr. J. T. Roberts's term as alderman expires next November, and if he consents to stand it is probable that he will be re-elected. The other aldermen who retire in November are Mr. J. P. Gregory and Mr. Edward Hughes. In this connection the following extract from the Municipal Corporations Amendment Act, 1910, will prove interesting:-

An alderman of a municipal borough shall not, as such, vote in the election of an alderman of the borough, and an outgoing alderman shall not, as alderman, vote in the election of a mayor.


It is a little over eight years since our present King last visited Carnarvon. He was then the Prince of Wales, and the object of his visit was for the purpose of being invested as Chancellor of the Welsh University. The Royal party, who stayed at the Vaynol, were met by the Mayor and Mayoress (Mr. and Mrs. R. O. Roberts), and the Corporation, near the Royal Hotel, where a platform had been erected, and the presentation of the address of welcome was made by the Mayor. At the conclusion of this ceremony the Prince delivered a short address, in the course of which he stated that he was greatly pleased that his first visit to Wales in the capacity of Prince was to this borough. His Royal Highness also observed that he derived great pleasure from the fact that he came to be formally invested as Chancellor of the University in succession to his father. Both the Princess and himself were deeply moved by the demonstration of loyalty, and he assured them that they would watch with interest all public movements in the Principality. After the Princess had accepted a bouquet from the Mayoress, the procession made its way to the Pavilion, where the investiture took place.

Following the reading of addresses the Prince, amid great enthusiasm, stood up to reply. In his speech he warmly thanked all for the overwhelming reception given him and for all the arrangements made on his behalf. Much praise, he said, was due to the University, and he eulogised its services to the nation. He hoped to show clearly that the University was as near to his heart as it was to his father's. It was a source of much pleasure to him to come to Wales as their Prince in connection with their University.

Other addresses were delivered, and the Prince and Princess then drove as far as Sir Hugh Owen's monument in Castle Square. There the Mayor presented the Prince with a bouquet, which His Royal Highness returned, with a request that it be placed on the monument of the eminent Welshman, who had done so much for his nation in the scholastic world. The Royal party then returned to Bangor.


Among the other Royal visits to North Wales the following may be mentioned:-

In 1847, Queen Victoria passed through the Straits on her way north. She was accompanied by the Prince Consort, and their eldest son Edward - our late King.

In 1852, Queen Victoria again visited the Menai Straits, this time for the purpose of seeing the Tubular Bridge, and on this occasion also the young Prince accompanied his Queen-mother.

In 1868, five years after his marriage to Princess Alexandra of Denmark, his late Majesty visited Carnarvon for the opening of the Corporation waterworks. This visit was of peculiar interest, as it was the first visit of any Prince of Wales to Carnarvon since the origin of the title.

In 1873, the Prince opened the new harbour at Holyhead, and again in 1880, when the harbour extension was completed.

In June, 1880, while touring in the northern part of the Principality, the late King consented to turn on the new water supply to Llandudno. The invitation was accepted on condition that the ceremony was performed at Llandudno Junction, through which locality the pipe line passed. It was arranged that the Royal train should halt at the old Junction station, and the Prince proceeded from his saloon carriage to a point now covered by the new road, where a platform had been erected. Here H.R.H. opened the valve with a silver turnkey.

In the summer of 1894, the Prince and Princess, accompanied by Princess Victoria and Princess Maud, spent a few days in North Wales as the guests of Lord Penrhyn at Penrhyn Castle, when they paid a visit to the Eisteddfod at Carnarvon. The Royal party on leaving the Pavilion were driven through the crowded streets to the Castle Square, where a Gorsedd was formed under the direction of Clwydfardd and Hwfa Mon, and their Royal Highnesses evinced keen interest in the quaint ceremonial. Next day the Royal party visited the famous slate quarries at Bethesda, where they were recieved by the workmen with a feu de joie of nearly 3000 rock cannon.

In 1907, the King and Queen and Princess Victoria visited Bangor for the laying of the foundation stone of the new University College buildings, when the King conferred the honour of Knighthood upon Dr. Henry R. Reichel.


A special meeting of the Carnarvon Town Council was held on Friday night to pass a resolution dealing with the proposed investiture. The Mayor (Alderman J. T. Roberts) presided, and there was almost a full gathering.

The Mayor remarked that after the gratifying announcement received that morning it was only fitting that they should assemble to show their appreciation of the Royal favour which it was intended to bestow upon their native country, the larger share of which would fall upon their own town. He, therefore, begged to propose that the following be sent to his Majesty the King:-

That we, the Carnarvon Town Council, humbly tender to his Majesty the King our heartfelt thanks for his gracious message conveying the welcome news of his decision that the ancient custom of the investiture of the Prince of Wales is to be revived, and also hereby record our gratification that his Majesty has signified his pleasure that the ceremony shall take place in our historic Castle.

Advert for Martin Conlan's Commercial Hotel. C.D.H. 25th. March, 1910.  K. Morris
Advert for Martin Conlan's Commercial Hotel.
C.D.H. 25th. March, 1910. K. Morris

Alderman J. P. Gregory seconded the resolution, which was supported by Councillor H. Lloyd Carter, who said that the welcome news received that morning meant that a great honour was to be conferred upon the Principality and upon the town of Carnarvon in particular. There would be a great strain upon them all, but they must do their very best to help to make the ceremony a success (cheers). This could be accomplished only by the united action of everybody in the Principality, and especially of those in Carnarvon town and county. Certain questions would crop up which could only be met by give and take, and by everybody doing his best so as to make the investiture an event which would be spoken of for generations to come. The question of the mayoralty, for instance, would have to be carefully considered. Let them make up their minds that whoever was elected he would be supported unanimously, and would be given all the help within their power (cheers). Then let those who could afford to extend hospitality open their houses wide, and let hotel and lodging-house keepers make their charges as reasonable as possible. He also appealed to the Press, to whom they owed so much, not to publish exaggerated statements, as was sometimes the case. A statement published on the occasion of the Royal visit to the town in 1894 that the town would be thronged with people had the effect of keeping away thousands who had they come would have been accommodated. He hoped to see the investiture carried out in a right regal manner (cheers).

Mr. R. Gwyneddon Davies, speaking in Welsh, remarked that he did not think the resolution ought to be put without a word in his native tongue. He felt convinced that there was not a Welshman from Holyhead to Cardiff who did not feel proud from the bottom of his heart that the King was going to place the sceptre of the Principality in the hands of his son within the walls of Carnarvon Castle (cheers).

The resolution was afterwards carried with acclaimation, all the members rising.

On Friday night, shortly after the despatch of the telegram, the Mayor received the following reply from Sir A. Bigge:- "I have received your telegram, and shall have much pleasure in laying it before the King."

A number of congratulatory telegrams came to hand on Saturday. Owen Rhoscomyl wired: "Congratulations. A oes heddwch?"

The Mayor of Wrexham (Mr. J. Stanford) wrote: "Referring to the telegram I sent you a few days ago, I heartily congratulate you and the Corporation of Carnarvon upon the definite selection of your historic town for the ceremony of investiture of His Royal Highness the Prince of Wales. The Council of this borough at a meeting held this morning also desired me to convey their congratulations.


On Monday morning, the Lord Mayor of Cardiff (Alderman J. Chappell) received the following letter from his Majesty the King relative to the investiture of the Prince of Wales in Wales:-

Balmoral Castle, Sept. 5th.
Sir, - In reply to your memorial to the King from the Lord Mayor, Aldermen, and citizens of the City of Cardiff, dated August 8th. last, with reference to the proposed investiture of the Prince of Wales, to which the above memorial so eloquently gives expression, I am commanded to inform you that in accordance with the wish of the Welsh people his Majesty has approved of this ceremony taking place in Carnarvon Castle during the month of July next.

As to the selection of the place of investiture, his Majesty recognises that the city of Cardiff holds the foremost position in Wales as regards population, commercial importance, and the number of its national institutions; but in choosing Carnarvon his Majesty has been guided by the opinions of an influential and representative committee from the Principality.

This committee advised that, owing to purely historical considerations, it would be more in accordance with tradition were the investiture of his Royal Highness to be held at Carnarvon Castle.

The King greatly appreciates the loyal patriotic sentiments expressed in your memorial.

I have the honour to be, sir, your obedient servant,


The Lord Mayor of Cardiff sent the following letter to the Mayor of Carnarvon:-

12th September, 1910.
My dear Mayor, - Re. Investiture of Prince of Wales.

I have pleasure in informing you that we have just received the reply of his Majesty to our memorial, in which it is stated that in the selection of the place of the proposed investiture of the Prince of Wales, his Majesty has been guided by the opinions of an influential and representative committee from the Principality, and that on their recommendation his Majesty has selected Carnarvon as the locale.

I at once take the earliest opportunity, after receiving the official intimation, of congratulating your Worship and the Corporation of Carnarvon on the high honour conferred upon them, and wish to state that while we fought strongly, it was with one object in view, namely, to secure an honour for Wales of which we consider her justly worthy.

The fight is over, and Wales has won and I trust that the disappointed people of the South will rally to the occasion and assist, if permitted to, in making the ceremony an unqualified success (which I feel sure Cardiff will not be slow to take advantage of), which will not only satisfy the people of Wales, but will also give his Majesty and the members of the Royal Family supreme pleasure.

Please, therefore, accept my warm congratulations on Carnarvon being selected as the locale of the Prince's investiture. - I am, my dear Mayor, yours very faithfully.
Lord Mayor of Cardiff.


In reply to this letter, the Mayor of Carnarvon wrote as follows:-

My dear Lord Mayor, - On behalf of our town I thank you most heartily for your cordial letter of congratulation. It is very gratifying to find that our differences can be so readily adjusted now that the locale of the investiture has been definitely settled. I can assure you on behalf of this town and the county that we entertain none but the best feelings towards our kinsmen in South Wales, and a right royal welcome will be extended to all who journey hither, whether to take part in or to witness the ceremony. Nothing is yet known here of the arrangements that are likely to be made.

I am, my dear Lord Mayor, yours, etc.
J. T. ROBERTS, Mayor.

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: September 16th. 1910.




A special meeting of the Carnarvon Town Council was held on Wednesday evening, for the purpose of conferring with representatives of the County Education Committee with reference to the proposed new higher standard school at Carnarvon. The Mayor (Alderman J. T. Roberts) presided. The Education Committee was represented by Mr. D. P. Williams (chairman), Mr. E. R. Davies (secretary), and Mr. Rowland L. Jones (architect).

Mr. E. R. Davies, in a lengthy statement, gave a history of the movement to provide an additional school at Carnarvon. He said that the Council were probably aware that for some time there had been overcrowding in the Girls' Council Schools, and that, as a result, the Education Committee had been obliged to provide temporary accommodation at the Drill Hall for 80 girls. Subsequently the Boys' Council School became congested, and at the present time there was a shortage of accommodation at the Council Schools of something like 150. The Education Committee had to consider how best to provide for the deficiency which had arisen, and they thought that the time had come when an effort should be made not to duplicate schools already in existence by building another school in the town on exactly the same lines, but to provide a school wherein it might be possible to give superior elementary education. The committee realised that if they were to build a junior school or a lower standard school the site would cost as much as it would cost for any other kind of school. They realised also that by multiplying facilities for the higher standards they were dissipating the financial resources of the committee and of the ratepayers, and obtaining only a minumum of efficiency at a maximum of cost. For that reason they thought that the time had come to proceed on more educational lines and provide a school for Carnarvon, where all the higher standards could be accommodated and where the teaching could be done on more advanced lines than was possible at the existing schools. In standards 6 and 7 of the Boys' Council School at present there were 58 children. Those standards were taught by one teacher practically together, and he need hardly say that the advantage which accrued to a child in the seventh standard when taught in the sixth was not what it ought to be.

Councillor J. Prichard (interposing): All this has been gone into. We have been called to decide with regard to the increased expenditure.

Advert for Griffith Owen's Roose's Pills. C.D.H. 25th. March, 1910.  K. Morris
Advert for Griffith Owen's Roose's Pills.
C.D.H. 25th. March, 1910. K. Morris

Mr. Davies: I would be delighted to confine myself absolutely to the immediate question of cost if that is the wish of the Council.

Alderman R. Parry: I think that the time spent in listening to Mr. Davies will not be lost. The fact is that the ratepayers are not enlightened as to the real educational difficulties in the way of the Education Committee, and it will be to the advantage of the ratepayers to know the true question of affairs. He congratulated Mr. Prichard upon knowing all the details.

Councillor Prichard: There is no congratulation necessary. What I say is that we have not come here to listen to a lecture upon this matter. I think that the question of finance ought to be gone into. All other matters have been discussed before.

Alderman R. Thomas: Have we no voice in the matter at all as to the building of the school?

The Mayor: We are offered to have a voice if we wish. But if the Education Committee chose to go on with the school they can "nolens volens."

Alderman Parry: It is only as a matter of courtesy that the representatives of the Education Committee have come here at all.

Councillor J. Jones: We cannot vote unless we get the necessary information, and Mr. Davies ought, therefore, to be allowed to go on.

Mr. D. P. Williams: I hope that the Council will listen to Mr. Davies, because the committee are desirous that their views should be placed before the Council.

Mr. Davies, proceeding, said that the Education Committee had absolute authority under the provisions of the Education Act to make any provision which might be necessary for public school accommodation in that or any other district. The committee issued a notice within the meaning of the Act of their intention to provide a new school, and no objection was taken by the Town Council. Objection, however, was taken to it by the managers of the Church of England School, but their objection was overruled by the Board of Education, who decided that a school was necessary, and gave the Education Committee liberty and license to proceed in the matter. Having done that the committee consulted the Town Council and asked them to appoint representatives to attend a conference with reference to the provision of another school. That was before the question of site or any particulars as regard to the scheme were considered at all. At that conference the question of the total cost was considered, and at that stage he wished to make it quite clear that the 6000 which had been mentioned was never the estimate of the Education Committee. It had been suggested in the newspapers that the Education Committee made a mistake in regard to the estimate. There was no mistake so far as the Education Committee was concerned. What happened was this. At the conference there was a good deal of discussion as to the amount of money which, in their judgement, the town would be willing to undertake, and the figure of 6000 was agreed upon as the limit. That was before a site had been purchased, or before any plans or estimates had been prepared. As to the site, it was agreed at the conference upon the site selected at Llanberis road, though Mr. Issard Davies had offered land at 2s. a yard and half an acre free. It was unanimously agreed as to the site offered by Mr. Assheton Smith of 1 acres at 2s. 6d. per square yard. The architect prepared a sketch plan, which was examined by a number of the school managers of the town, and certain alterations were suggested; and the plan was then sent to the Board of Education, who also made some improvements. A final plan was then prepared, and tenders were invited for the work. The architect found it was impossible to build a school as required for 6000, and the lowest tender received was considerably in excess of the 6000. The Education Committee considered the matter carefully, and appointed a committee to go into the matter fully, and it was decided that the scheme be revised. The architect found it was impossible without affecting the substantial merits of the scheme to modify the plans, and the required accommodation could not be provided under 8000. Dealing with the accommodation at the school, Mr. Davies said that there were in standards 5, 6, and 7 in the Boys' Council School 159 children and in the Girls' Council School 104, making a total of 263. Now, the ordinary classroom accommodation proposed to be provided under that scheme was for 320. The number of children in the Church of England Boys' School in the three higher standards was 34, and in the Girls' School 58, so that the total number of children attending the three higher standards in all the schools were 355. They would not overlook the fact that in view of the large increase that had taken place in the number of children attending the Boys' and Girls' Council Schools within the last few years it would be folly on the part of the Education Committee to provide a school without some margin, and, taking the figures of the Council Schools only as they were to-day the margin proposed under the scheme was for 57 only. If the children in the higher standards of the Church of England School were to go into the proposed new school the accommodation would be exceeded, and there would be a shortage of 35. Dealing with the charge that would fall upon the town of Carnarvon in connection with the scheme, he said that when the conference already referred to was held it was stated that the maximum period allowed for the repayment of a loan was 30 years, and the rate of interest 3 per cent. The annual repayment in respect of a loan, say, of 6000 would be 325 5s. half of which would be charged upon the district served by the school. Snce then the Local Government Board had extended the period for the repayment of all school loans from 30 to 50 years, but if they borrowed for 50 years, instead of 30 they would have to pay an increased rate of interest amounting to 3 16s. per cent. As to the district upon which the special charge would have to be levied, he said that there had been a good deal of discussion with regard to it, but it was perfectly clear that the annual repayment would have to be spread over the entire district which would be served by the school. If any children came from outside the limits of the borough of Carnarvon the parishes from which they came would be charged with a proportion of the annual cost. In conclusion, Mr. Davies said that the cost of the site worked out at about 900. In the new school provision would be made for manual instruction, cookery, laundry work, domestic science, and chemical and physical laboratory. There would also be an art section.

Alderman Gregory: I should like to know the cost of the county school?

Mr. Rowland Lloyd Jones: The cost with equipment was 7869. All the stones were found on the site.

Alderman R. Thomas: There is already accommodation for all the children in the town. Mr. Davies has dealt entirely with the Council Schools. Those schools provide accommodation for 1015. On the books there are 987, and the average attendance is 886. Therefore, there is a surplus accommodation for 129. In the National Schools there is accommodation for 1011. On the books there are 580, and the average attendance is 496, there being thus a surplus accommodation of 515.

Alderman Parry: But the children won't go there.

The Mayor: Forty have gone from that school to the Council Schools.

Alderman R. Thomas: If the Education Committee gave the same advantages to the National Schools as they give to the Council Schools no doubt the children would go there. It is a serious question. We were told that the new school would cost 12,000, and that the estimate was 10,000.

Mr. Davies: That is not so.

Alderman Thomas said that if the school cost 12,000, half that sum would come upon the ratepayers of the borough, and this would mean a rate of 2d. in the . in the present depressed state of the trade of the town the Education Committee ought to stay their hands. The rates now amounted to 8s. 10d. in the , as compared with 7s. 3d. ten years ago, and it would be a serious matter if they were increased. He hoped the Education Committee would give the National Schools, to which Nonconformist parents continued to send their children more fair play.

Mr. D. P. Williams: Mr. Thomas appeals to the Education Committee to stay their hands. I would explain that it is not a question for the Education Committee to stay their hands. They are pressed by the Board of Education to provide this further accommodation. We have had notice since 1908, and we are bound to proceed, otherwise we shall run the risk of losing the grants, which amounted last year, in respect of the Council Schools, to 1792.

Mr. E. R. Davies remarked that if the Council wished to see a school erected, containing classrooms and nothing else it could be done for 6000, but the question was whether the Council desired that the children of the town should be given the same facilities and advantages as were enjoyed by children in other parts of the country. As to the question of the cost of giving those facilities, he should like to make it clear that by putting the children from the higher standards under one roof the Education Committee would be able to utilise the amount of money now spent on the salaries of teachers to such an advantage that they could provide a teaching staff for all those children to obtain training in all the subjects that would be taught without substantially increasing the staffing costs at all. Mr. Thomas had urged his points with his usual pertinacity; but he ought not to lose sight of the fact that the children of the town desired to go into the Council Schools and obtain their education there. They left the National School not because there was an inferior staff there, but as Mr. Thomas knew, because the building was not what it ought to be. Mr. Thomas also knew that if the building were put into such a condition as the Board of Education demanded that the Council Schools in the county should be put, it would cost a very large sum of money to do it. Whether the managers of the National School will do what is necessary and incur that expenditure remains to be seen.

Alderman Thomas remarked that Mr. Wright, headmaster of the National School, had told him that he wished he had tha same assistance as was given in the Council Schools.

Alderman Parry: What assistance?

Alderman Thomas: Masters and teachers. Proceeding, he said that the managers of the National School had done what the Education Committee required them to do.

Alderman E. Hughes said that he as one of the largest ratepayers in the town supported the scheme.

Mr. E. R. Davies: Mr. Thomas insinuates that the Education Committee have been at fault. The committee, it may be said, pay a larger amount per head in teaching the children in the Church of England Schools than in the Council Schools. Simply because there are fewer there.

Aldreman Gergory: How do the salaries compare?

Mr. Davies: The teachers in the Non-provided Schools are treated quite as well as in the Provided Schools.

Councillor A. Richards said that if the Education Committee had at the outset made everything clear, as Mr. Davies had done that night, he did not think the present difficulty would have arisen. As manager of the Boys' Council School he could support what had been said as to its being overcrowded. The present accommodation was for 326. There were 442 on the books, and the average attendance was 423. More accommodation had to be provided somewhow or other. Seeing that the Education Committee had undertaken the task it was only right that they should carry the matter through according to their own ideas. He did not think it was fair for the committee to ask the Council to take responsibility that belonged to them.

Alderman Parry failed to see that Mr. Richards was very logical. The responsibility did not rest upon the Education Committee because the Council, as representing the Carnarvon ratepayers, would have to pay the piper. The Council had been very anxious to push the school forward, and they approached the Education Committee with regard to purchasing a site and preparing plans. Though the rates might be increased, they had to face the question that if they did not provide school accommodation for their children the grants would be docked. Were they going to build an elementary school or follow the example of progressive towns in the country and erect a higher standard school. They must suffer a little on behalf of the education of their children. Unfortunately they had not large industries in the town, but they might be able to induce people to come into the town to live because their local rates compared very favourably with those of any other in North Wales, and there was a prospect of a further reduction taking place. If they meant to induce people to come into the town they must provide them with facilities.

Mr. D. P. Williams: It was very essential to erect in Carnarvon a school that would draw children into the town.

It was resolved, after further discussion, that a deputation consisting of Messrs. R. Ranleigh Jones, J. P. Gregory, and J. Jones should attend a private conference on Thursday to further discuss the scheme with representatives of other bodies interested.


At a joint conference yesterday of representatives of the Education Committee and Town Council, managers of the various schools, etc., Mr. Rowland Ll. Jones submitted the revised plans of a higher standard school, which were approved.

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: September 23rd. 1910.


While gathering blackberries by the old stone quarry to the rear of Alexandra-terrace, St. David's-road, a young man named Jimmy O'Brien fell from a great height. His face was severely bruised and his arm was broke in two places.

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: September 23rd. 1910.


We understand that Mr. R. I. Jones, Plas Tandinas, Dinas Dinlle, has purchased the business of the Welsh Billposting Co. Mr. Jones was engaged as an accountant for many years to a firm of solicitors in Liverpool.

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: September 23rd. 1910.


Shortly after ten o'clock on Monday night, an accident which might have resulted in serious injuries to a number of people occurred in Bridge-street. A traction engine belonging to Messrs. Lake and Co. was coming down South Penrallt when the driver lost control, and the ponderous machine raced down the street; tore off a piece of the parapet, dashed across the main thoroughfare, and charged into Mr. W. J. Williams's ironmongery shop opposite. One of the windows was completely smashed, and the engine became embedded in the shop front. The few people on the spot had narrow escapes, although the road was clear at the time. Had the accident happened two minutes later fatalities must have occurred, for the audience coming out of a concert at the Guild Hall crowded the thoroughfare in that particular spot. The driver and another man saved themselves by jumping from the engine. A second engine was brought, by means of which the runaway was extracted from its strange position.

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: October 21st. 1910.


Mr. Robert Jones, chemist, formerly of Bangor-street, has gone on a voyage to New Zealand, and will return in May next.

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: November 4th. 1910.


A grand winter carnival will be opened by Mr. Arthur Wildman at the Pavilion on Saturday. The skating rink is the largest in North Wales, and visitors to the Pavilion will find every amusement. There will be an entire change of cinematograph programme every evening.

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: November 4th. 1910.


At a meeting of the Harbour Trust on Tuesday, a letter was read from Mr. Aylmer asking for permission to give open air concerts on the promenade during next summer. It was resolved to give permission on the payment in advance of an acknowledgement of 1.

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: November 11th. 1910.


Mr. Trevor C. Hughes, Coedhelen, who has promised to paint the Aber Bridge at his own expense, has accepted the tender of Messrs. G. and J. P. Gregory. It is Mr. Hughes's desire that the bridge should be painted white.

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: November 11th. 1910.


The important and extensive alterations which have for some months been carried on in the Post Office are now approaching completion, and the extension of the premises will afford greatly improved accommodation for the public and staff. The fine new sorting room has been completed, and the mails are now being dealt with entirely in that part of the building. The work on the public office and counter will be taken in hand on Monday next, and the Postmaster asks us to notify the public that all Post Office business will be carried on at the side door in Chapel Street for a few days during the progress of these alterations.

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: November 11th. 1910.


At a meeting of the Town Council, on Wednesday, Councillor J. R. Hughes asked if anything had been done in connection with the proposed cemetery. - The Mayor: Land can be secured, but negotiations have not proceeded sufficiently far to make any report to the Council. - Councillor Hughes said that there was a feeling in the town that the matter should be hurried on, and he suggested that the Council communicate with the Free Church Council. - The suggestion was agreed to.

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: November 11th. 1910.


Mr. Wildman's Roller Skating Rink, which is the largest in North Wales, and has a real maple floor, was opened last Saturday, when 4000 people paid for admission. That and the extensive patronage given this week shows how popular tha Pavilion rink is. The animated pictures are a great attraction. Their clearness and steadiness are remarkable, and the eyes are never strained. This week the services of the great trapeze artistes, the Three Sylvanas, were secured, and they provide a great draw. Arrangements have been made with the Railway Company to run special late trains to Llanberis and Penygroes on Saturdays. The Pavilion is opened from 2.30 till 5, and 6.30 till 10.30. We may add there is a special session for beginners on the rink at 10.30 in the morning.

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: November 11th. 1910.



So far there is very little to be said about the investiture. Even the Mayor, in the course of his annual speech on Wednesday, had nothing of importance to say. He stated that already a large amount of interest was taken in the ceremony, and that probably there would be many thousands of visitors in Carnarvon from all parts of the world. No doubt there will be. We are told that the day after the announcement was made that the investiture would take place in Carnarvon Castle, local hotel keepers received numerous inquiries with regard to accommodation.

Some time ago it was announced that the King and Queen would accompany the Prince of Wales to Carnarvon, but now we are informed that the King will not be present in the Castle, and that the investiture will be carried out by the Queen in person. This, however, is merely a rumour, and may be unfounded. The preparations, which hitherto have been proceeding slowly, will probably be expedited as soon as the King Edward Memorial movement in Wales has been brought to a close.

How many people will the Castle hold? is a question that is often asked in these days. It is said that, after the necessary structures are put up, it will not hold more than 15,000. There would probably be in the centre a large structure, where the ceremony would take place. It will be necessary to provide more than one exit, and very likely use will be made of the doorways at the quay and Ty'nycei.

A well known Carnarvon gentleman suggests that, subsequent to the ceremony in the Castle, there should be a ceremonial of some kind in Castle Square for the benefit of the many thousands of people who would be unable to gain admission into the Castle. A platform might be erected either by the fountain or in front of the North and South Wales Bank, and a national presentation might be made to the Prince.

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: November 11th. 1910.



On Wednesday, at a meeting of the Carnarvon Town Council, Councillor Nee asked whether a tender for painting the Aber bridge had been accepted, and whether the work was likely to be put in hand.

Alderman Gregory replied that the tender sent in by his firm had been accepted by the Squire of Coedhelen, who, as they were all aware, was going to paint the bridge at his own expense (hear, hear). In accepting the tender, the Squire said that he was not willing that the work should be started until February next. He (Mr. Gregory) wrote to him asking if he would allow the work to be started as soon as possible in view of the fact that there were so many men out of employment in the town, but so far no reply had been received.

Councillor Tom Armstrong, at a later stage, said that whilst at Llandudno he saw notices being sent out to householders asking them to put any work of renovation they required to be done in hand during the winter months, in order to provide work for the unemployed. In view of the investiture ceremony at Carnarvon, he thought a similar request might be made to the people of Carnarvon. If the inhabitants put their work in hand with as little delay as possible it might help to solve the question of unemployment to a considerable extent during the winter months. He formally moved that a circular letter be sent to householders asking them to undertake any renovation that required to be done during the winter months.

Councillor J. Prichard: There is only one class of work that can be done, and I think that the Carnarvon people generally would be inclined to say, "Mind your own business." I don't see that any good will come of it.

The motion was seconded and adopted.

The Unemployed Committee was re-elected, and Councillor Rees Hughes suggested that it should be called as soon as possible, as there were many men out of work in the town.

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: November 11th. 1910.



Plans of the higher standard school proposed to be erected in Carnarvon were submitted to the Town Council for inspection on Wednesday, and approved.

Councillor R. Gwyneddon Davies said it was highly important that the Council should make a representation as to the labour to be employed on the school. He did not know whether the tender would be let to a local builder or to one foreign to the town. At any rate, he thought it was within the province of the Council to make a suggestion to the Education Committee that local labour should be employed. It was a matter of very great importance to them in Carnarvon at the present time in view of the fact that there were so many men out of work, and there might be danger of skilled workmen being brought into the town from outside if the contract was let to a stranger. He moved that the County Education Committee be requested to take such action as lies in their power to secure that the workmen to be employed on the school should, as far as possible, be resident in Carnarvon.

Councillor A. W. Kay-Menzies seconded.

Alderman R. Parry said that he did not know anything about the contract, but he thought Mr. Gwyneddon Davies might be satisfied that the contract was not going far out of the town. He did not think there was danger, when there were so many men out of work, that foreign labour would be imported.

Councillor J. R. Hughes remarked that he was sorry that he could not agree with Dr. Parry. They had had an instance in connection with the Post Office. The contract was let to a gentleman outside the town and labour from the country was imported. If that could take place in connection with the Post Office, there was nothing to prevent it taking place in connection with the proposed new school. He was glad that the matter had been brought forward, and he thought that a representation from the Council would have weight with the Education Committee.

After further discussion the motion was adopted.

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: November 18th. 1910.



The work of selecting the committee which is to undertake the arrangements for the investiture of the Prince of Wales at Carnarvon Castle next July has practically been concluded by the Duke of Norfolk and his advisers. In the course of a few days the list of distinguished names will be handed to the King for his approval. A fortnight or so later the committee will hold its first meeting.

No amateur advice from the committee will be needed regarding the framing of the ritual, for the actual ceremony (says the "Daily Mail") will be exclusively the work of the Earl Marshal, the College of Arms, and finally, of his Majesty himself, who, as all the Empire knows, is an accomplished student of heraldry and historic ritual.

For the investiture of the Prince of Wales there are few precedents to refer to, but it was stated yesterday on the best authority that the Carnarvon ritual will be largely based upon that for the ceremony which took place at Westminster on the occasion of the investiture of the Black Prince in 1343. In many ways, however, the ceremony will be modernised. In this connexion it is interesting to recall the ritual as it was performed so many centuries ago at Westminster.

"The Prince is presented before the King in his surcoat cloak, and mantle of crimson velvet, and girt with a belt of the same, when the King putteth a cap of crimson velvet, indented and turned up with ermine, and a coronet on his head as a token of principality; and the King also putteth into his hand a verge of gold, the emblem of government, and a ring of gold on his middle fnger to intimate that he must be a husband to his country and a father of his children."

It is understood that the Queen will take an important part in the ceremony. Among other suggestions which will be made to the committee of arrangements is one that the Welsh bards should be present.

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: November 18th. 1910.



At a meeting of the Carnarvonshire Education Committee yesterday, Mr. D. P. Williams (chairman) presiding, the Building Committee submitted the following report with reference to the proposed higher standard school at Carnarvon. Letters dated the 4th. and 14th. October 1910, were submitted from the Board of Education intimating their formal approval to the plans for the erection of this school, which will provide accommodation for 320 mixed scholars in classrooms, 20 boys for handicraft, 18 girls for housewifery, 18 girls for laundry work, 18 girls for cookery, 20 scholars in the art room, 25 scholars in the chemical and physicol laboratory, in addition to assembly hall, drying room, scullery, headmaster's room, and two teachers' common rooms. The Secretary reported an interview which the County Architect and himself had had with the representatives of the Board of Education and the Local Government Board on the 28th. day of October, 1910, when the general scheme was discussed and exception was taken to the proposal to provide terra cotta for the front elevation. A revised sketch plan had been subsequently submitted and provisionally approved. Three tenders were submitted for the erection of the new school premises, and it was resolved that the tender of Messrs. G. F. Williams and Roberts, of Carnarvon, be provisionally accepted at 6295, subject to the sanction of the County Council and the Local Government Board being received to the necessary loan. It was resolved that the County Council be asked to authorise an application to the Local Government Board for a total sum not exceeding 8500 to cover the amount of (1) the tender provisionally accepted; (2) heating apparatus (estimated to cost 300; (3) furniture and equipment (estimated to cost 650); and (4) land (estimated to cost 900).

The Secretary said that a letter had been received from the Carnarvon Town Council asking the committee in view of the fact that there were many men out of employment in the town, to take such means as lay in their power to secure that the workmen employed on the new school should be resident in the town.

The Chairman remarked that the contractors were from Carnarvon, and no doubt they would see that the wishes of the Council were carried out.

Mr. R. B. Ellis said that he did not agree with a letter of this kind. They must remember that there was the country as well as the town to be considered, and that it was not right to confine the work to the town of Carnarvon. The fact was that the town lived upon the country - (laughter) - and especially was that true of the town of Carnarvon. He regretted that at a meeting of the Town Council a somewhat uncalled for remark was made with reference to a contractor from the country. In a matter of the king they must be open-minded, and allow contractors perfect freedom to do as they liked, and there should be no attempt made to influence the committee in any way.

The Chairman: The contractor is at liberty to employ anybody he likes.

The report of the committee was adopted.

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: December 9th. 1910.


On Tuesday night, the shop of Messrs. Owen and Rowlands, ironmongers, Pool-street, Carnarvon, was broken into, and a sum of 11 18s. stolen. Entrance was effected through the front door. The police are making inquiries, but so far they have had no clue.

From the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald: December 23rd. 1910.


At a meeting of the Free Church Council on Tuesday night the question was further discussed of moving in the direction of securing a public cemetery for the town, as to which a communication was recently addressed by this body to the Town Council. A feeling was expressed favourable to taking steps to acquire a cemetery at a total outlay of about 1500, and it was resolved to take an early opportunity of laying the matter before the Nonconformist section of the ratepayers, with the view of enlisting their support to some such scheme.

  © 2003 - 2021 Keith Morris. All rights reserved